D&D Movie/TV Rawson Thurber will write and direct the D&D TV Series!

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Yes, I advocate D&D for all types, for kids to adults. No need to pigeonhole it to one style of show.
Certainly not, but you already have Vox for adults, how about something for the people who would like to be able to share D&D with their kids via a TV show, without having to dig out the 80's DVDs... ;)

D&D should be family-friendly, or +10/+13. If the script is good, boobs and gore aren't necessary. Hercules: the Legendary Journys and Xena: the Warrior Princess weren't too "mature". And Hasbro needs a new generation of D&D players. To be enough kid-frienly is an important marketing strategy. Hasbro also wants to sell toys and videogames. Maybe they are thinking about something like Baby Yoda/Grogu.

And D&D is enough open for different styles. Some one-shot set in Ravenloft can be right for mature audences. Dark Sun is right for a +13 tone/mood.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
D&D should be family-friendly, or +10/+13. If the script is good, boobs and gore aren't necessary. Hercules: the Legendary Journys and Xena: the Warrior Princess weren't too "mature". And Hasbro needs a new generation of D&D players. To be enough kid-frienly is an important marketing strategy. Hasbro also wants to sell toys and videogames. Maybe they are thinking about something like Baby Yoda/Grogu.

And D&D is enough open for different styles. Some one-shot set in Ravenloft can be right for mature audences. Dark Sun is right for a +13 tone/mood.
Nailed it.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...

Right, Hercules and Xenia were more camp and cleavage.

Nebulous

Legend
By today's standard, Conan would be PG-13 probably... (sadly, IMO, but whatever).

Hard disagree there. Was it like Conan? No, it was good i

Certainly not, but you already have Vox for adults, how about something for the people who would like to be able to share D&D with their kids via a TV show, without having to dig out the 80's DVDs... ;)
I do want a show for kids, but I don't like Vox or that style of animation. I want something that I like too. D&D is big enough to accommodate everything.

Nebulous

Legend

Dark Sun is perfect for PG-13.

Sometimes to imply/insituate is better to showing it directly. Exo-Squad was a cartoon with a relatively mature tone, but without being explicite violence. Today it may be +10y.

Dark Sun needs a lot of work to design its special look. It is perfect for a survival videogame (something like Conan Exiles), and Birghtright for a 4X(Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate) videogame.

Ravenloft is right for audence who knows nothing about D&D, some production like "Ready or Not", "Scary Stories to tell in the Darkness", Tim Burton's "Dark Shadows" or "Crimson Peak". The new Ravenloft has been redesigned to allow horror stories more kid-friendly if you want that. But here the titles should be for the TV or streaming services.

Dragonlance is the pending subject. I don't advice the main trilogy in the big screen but "one-shot" story to introduce the franchise. A videogame needs time and money, but if it works, it can help to promote the brand. (I don't imagine Tas and Flint as skins in Fortnite, but maybe as bodyguard nPCs to be hired). If Disney wanted a D&D adaptation, maybe the favorite candidate would be Dragonlance.

Gamma World may be easier to be adapted into action-live. It can also be a shooter-videogame, but with lots of rivals fighting to avoid falling in the oblivion. I advice an off-line survival+building camps/stronghold. In the right hands it may become a serious rival for Fallout videogame saga.

WotC has got two options. Or only one company can produce D&D, or partnership with different companies. This could allow a new opportunity for serie B lines (Mystara, Birthright, Jakandor..). Maybe Hasbro discovers there is a future merger between Comcast and ViacomCBS and then to think if the partnership deal with Paramount should be renewed.

Remove ads