Ray Winninger comments on the OGL

Clint_L

Hero
I disagree. I think it is in the best interests long term. Take D&D away from Hasbro - they are irresponsible and disrespectful stewards of the industry leader. It is in better hands elsewhere.
It stinks in the short (and possibly medium) terms.
But long term, I want to see some scorched earth at WotC and Hasbro.
The thing is, if someone is taking D&D away from Hasbro, it'll be someone like Disney or Comcast, not a mom and pop organization. I don't see a future where D&D is not in the hands of ever larger corporations.

Sacrosanct

Legend
The thing is, if someone is taking D&D away from Hasbro, it'll be someone like Disney or Comcast, not a mom and pop organization. I don't see a future where D&D is not in the hands of ever larger corporations.
Yeah. If we can't get IP like Thundarr or Pirates of Dark Water (dead IPs for all intents and purposes) out of the hands of corporations, no way D&D will be.

Retreater

Legend
Yes. This is moment in our hobby where we learn that we no longer matter, that we can't play the way we want, that content is packaged by a corporation that has no foundation in games anymore (when even WotC had connections to magic cards).
And this is the time when many fans (like myself) realize that it's artists, creative minds, and those who have inspiration that we want to invite into our imaginations - those who fantasize about dragons more than dollar signs.
D&D has lost its soul. I'm not going to sell my imagination, my hobby time, my precious moments with friends and family, to the highest bidder ... people who clearly can give a rat's behind about how we enjoy the game.

Reynard

Legend
Yes. This is moment in our hobby where we learn that we no longer matter, that we can't play the way we want, that content is packaged by a corporation that has no foundation in games anymore (when even WotC had connections to magic cards).
And this is the time when many fans (like myself) realize that it's artists, creative minds, and those who have inspiration that we want to invite into our imaginations - those who fantasize about dragons more than dollar signs.
D&D has lost its soul. I'm not going to sell my imagination, my hobby time, my precious moments with friends and family, to the highest bidder ... people who clearly can give a rat's behind about how we enjoy the game.
Emphasis mine.
Bollocks.

Nobody controls how you play besides you.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Yeah, it would take a cartoonish rich person to overpay for the D&D IP for it ever to not be under hands that aren't publically traded. But then you have a know problem.

What's happening to D&D could happen to any TTRPG IP. I tell yall right now. If Paizo ever becomes big and publically traded or bought by some entity that is: that free wiki is gone.

All you can hope that enough people stating disagreements with bad ideas like Ray can convince decisions like this before it's too late.

Scribe

Legend
Yeah, it would take a cartoonish rich person to overpay for the D&D IP for it ever to not be under hands that aren't publically traded. But then you have a know problem.

What's happening to D&D could happen to any TTRPG IP. I tell yall right now. If Paizo ever becomes big and publically traded or bought by some entity that is: that free wiki is gone.

All you can hope that enough people stating disagreements with bad ideas like Ray can convince decisions like this before it's too late.

All true, the root of the issue is, as per usual.

Greed, and being publicly traded.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases