• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[RCFG] RCFG Ongoing Development!

Aus_Snow

First Post
Hey, how's this project going anyway? I see there are a few more things to look at already, so look at them I will. Any major ka-chings or stumbling blocks lately?

Right now, I am prepping the Skills & Combat preview. I don't expect any stumbling blocks in this section -- a lot of this is just codifying house rules I used for 3e, plus updated saving throws, plus a simpler method for dealing with combat maneuvers. So lots of cut & paste, editting, and rewriting are the course of the day.

I think it will be a pretty good document when done.

RC

Cool. I think that the skills and combat stuff is what I'm looking forward to seeing the most. I've seen you post some discussion about your skills and combat rules before, and they always sounded pretty interesting as an alternative to tactical combat with minis.

That's a pretty cool little snippet. Do you have some examples of what NPC tradesmen should earn in a given period. Just for two professions that might be of interest to adventurers, how about a scribe (a good wizardly profession), an apothecary (good for a druid, ranger or wizard), and a blacksmith...?

There is now a teaser preview up on my website for the 2nd preview.
Weapon skills are used somewhat differently from standard skills. When a character purchases a weapon skill, his skill ranks are directly added as modifiers to attack rolls, damage, or Armour Class, as described below.
I'd be interested in feedback.

RC

I just checked out your preview teaser. There are some interesting ideas there. I am reminded of the GURPS All-out-attack options for accuracy or damage from some of the fighting styles.:)

The attack modes are a great way to introduce tactical choice without having to implement flashy powers for a plain fighting man and I like that aspect.

One thing about D&D combat that always bugged me was the lack of sufficient options for defensive fighting. Your system addresses that issue which is good thing.

Things to consider:

1) If a skill rank has a value of 1 which can be used for attack, AC, or damage, remember the relative value of a +1 (5%) to either hit or defense compared to its relevant damage value. A +1 to hit is significant at every level of play whereas a single point of damage loses value as levels and hit point pools increase. In a GURPS like system where damage threshold doesn't increase with fighting skill, such a trade off would be more valuable.

2) The table is a bit intimidating for a D&D like combat system. I can envision constant referencing to determine what modes are available and trying to remember what weapons have an ACP and hit/damage/AC calculation for switching weapons/modes for a combat with many foes. You may have better skills for juggling these numbers on the fly than others do.

Overall I like the idea but at a glance there seems to be too many dependent, shifting modifiers to track for a fast paced combat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads