• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[RCFG] RCFG Ongoing Development!

sohel1

First Post
When fighting with two

When fighting with two weapons, the fighter gains a +1 bonus to AC, as though he were using a shield. In addition, he can use his off-hand weapon as though it were a shield in conjunction with the Extra Shield Defence, Riven Shield Defence, and Shield Other combat skill bonuses.

Parry & Riposte: When fighting with a single one-handed weapon, the fighter gains a +1 bonus to AC, as though he were using a shield. In addition, he can use his weapon as though it were a shield in conjunction with the Extra Shield Defence, Riven Shield Defence, and Shield Other combat skill bonuses.

pawsplay

Hero
I like what you're doing here. I 'm taking my own project in a different direction, but you seem to have similar thoughts about taking old ideas and making them new again.

The_Warlock

Explorer
My specific goals include:

(1) It is not necessary to write rules on how to craft an item to introduce a new magic item in the campaign world, and

(2) It is not necessary to price each magic item in order to introduce it to the campaign world.

I imagine a game in which the 2e Magic Item Compendium is a usable resource, as well as magic items from later editions.

RC

Out of curiousity, what would your answers be to the questions of import:

What does it COST to make a magic item?

Time, Money, and Vital Essence (XP) are the three most common.

How powerful and complex are magic items?

The simpler the item, the easier the rules for the system, since the items are less likely to upset predefined balances in the abilities and numbers of the base system. The more complex and interwoven the possible powers of the items, the more likely you get either 1) a high chance of balance breaking items or 2) a creation system that imposes checks and balances - usually in the cost department - to limit creation of extreme items.

Here's what I did in mine:

(Edited to prevent thread derailment)

Maybe something like that will allow you to be more loose in your rule creation for your system.

Last edited:

The_Warlock

Explorer
I am thinking that I'd like to go along the lines of OSRIC/LL, and have magic item costs be unique for each item, with some form of baseline, and some form of negotiation between the GM and the player. However, I think that 3e is correct in having some level of "look, the PC gets to make the item" built in.

I just haven't figured out how to put that in rulespeak yet. :)

Ideally, the DM picks up any resource from any edition and can easily port the item into the game.

RC

Ok, the only drawback there is that the costs in many of the previous editions were wildly varied across products and designers. I haven't looked at OSRIC or LL directly to see if they clarified or balanced the costs in any way.

It would seem almost remiss, after having seen how closely and tightly you have modeled the classes toward a specific feel and power level, to not have as tight a system for introducing magic items into the mix.

This is especially true since many of the items across editions are strongly high fantasy, while many of your class abilities and your levelling schema gives a seemingly much lower upper limit. Thus magic items look like they could significantly impact the play experience you are trying to forge.

Maybe there should be a small ruleset for the creation of items "in system", and a subsection on bringing in other edition magic items with upper limits on gold piece value per other edition if the gamemaster and players wish to remain focused on the basic tone you are trying to provide.

Artifacts, Relics and other McGuffins excluded, of course - the GM gets to place them at his or her whimsy.

Remove ads