D&D 5E Re-gripping your weapon uses an object interaction?

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
But even then, they would be fine if anyone could guarantee they could acquire one. Unfortunately, that's not how the game works, so it's just one of those things you can wish you had, but might not ever get.

I bet they require attunement too!
They do require attunement, yes. That's what makes them actually class-specific, the attunement line specifies that it has to be attuned by someone of a specific class.

Why WotC keeps publishing magic items when they basically told DM's "hey use 'em if you want, but don't blame us if they destroy your game, lol!" sometimes feels like a big kid taunting a little kid with a piece of candy he can't reach.
Being rather more charitable than I normally would be: because the people who run things now are not the people who ran things back during the Next Playtest, and the change in management has resulted in somewhat different priorities. The people in charge now contributed to 5e, so they aren't going to completely reinvent the wheel. But they seem to have several different ideas compared to the people who were in charge previously.

Horwath

Legend
1658148228553.png

As we can see from iconic D&D character(Regdar), you can actually hold 2 heavy weapons at once(greatsword+longbow)

And I would say that dropping one and then either grip greatsword or preparing to grab an arrow would be same free action(or non action)

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
View attachment 254171

As we can see from iconic D&D character(Regdar), you can actually hold 2 heavy weapons at once(greatsword+longbow)

And I would say that dropping one and then either grip greatsword or preparing to grab an arrow would be same free action(or non action)
Although the concept of dropping weapons on the ground always struck me as a little bizarre. I mean, weapons are valuable, who would really treat them that way?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Actually, a post in the Lets Read: Monsters of the Multiverse thread actually gave me another reason to hate these sorts of interactions- monsters.

Often, you have a humanoid enemy who has a bow, a sword, and a shield. Making it a nightmare to switch weapons in combat! I can only imagine trying to run an encounter for a "cleric" type enemy with melee attacks and spell attacks, with my players constantly asking "hey, can he make an opportunity attack this turn? He just cast a spell!".

Horwath

Legend
Although the concept of dropping weapons on the ground always struck me as a little bizarre. I mean, weapons are valuable, who would really treat them that way?
Dropping weapons from your hand, on average 1m height is nothing comparing to stress they receive in battle.

Hitting full force at someones armor or shield or another blade blocking yours, hitting a dungeon pillar when your target dodges?

yes, you should not drop your sword if it can be helped, but usually it's no damage to the weapon.

Horwath

Legend
Actually, a post in the Lets Read: Monsters of the Multiverse thread actually gave me another reason to hate these sorts of interactions- monsters.

Often, you have a humanoid enemy who has a bow, a sword, and a shield. Making it a nightmare to switch weapons in combat! I can only imagine trying to run an encounter for a "cleric" type enemy with melee attacks and spell attacks, with my players constantly asking "hey, can he make an opportunity attack this turn? He just cast a spell!".
YES! Yes, he can!
For every additional question about that, "cleric monster" gets additional AOO per round.

Remove ads