D&D 5E Re-gripping your weapon uses an object interaction?

You get one free object interaction, not two. Either use it to interact with the sword by inventing a rule to "re-grip" it or to interact with your spellcasting focus for the somatic/material component. the only way to interact with both is to drop one or do it on different turns because you can't have a focus in your hand while holding a two handed weapon with two hands.
You're the one who has invented "re-grip" action. There is no such thing. There is nothing that indicates that moving one hand to or from the hilt of the weapon is any sort of action at all. And they literally errated the rule to make it even more clear.

And by your logic you cannot multi attack with bows. Do you really think that is the intent?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
You're the one who has invented "re-grip" action. There is no such thing. There is nothing that indicates that moving one hand to or from the hilt of the weapon is any sort of action at all. And they literally errated the rule to make it even more clear.

And by your logic you cannot multi attack with bows. Do you really think that is the intent?
"re-gripping" comes up 4 times in the opening post but is conspicuously absent from the PHB. The PHB does not even appear to have relevant uses of the word grip among the times it uses that word & I listed them earlier.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Yes. So I don't know why you'd think it is any sort of an action or interaction. It isn't.
That's my point. The rules related to this are the free object interaction (singular object not plural objectS) and the need for hand use for verbal /material components involving a spellcasting focus. The free object interaction can't be used with two objectS & spellcasting can't be done without the relevant feat or a spellcasting focus. Inventing "re-gripping" to do both as the op described is not something a player can do.

That's my point. The rules related to this are the free object interaction (singular object not plural objectS) and the need for hand use for verbal /material components involving a spellcasting focus. The free object interaction can't be used with two objectS & spellcasting can't be done without the relevant feat or a spellcasting focus. Inventing "re-gripping" to do both as the op described is not something a player can do.
You're not making any sense. It is not being used twice. Moving your hand from or to the hilt is not an object interaction!

nevin

Hero
For what it's worth, that would be a correct ruling in Pathfinder 2e. But not Dungeons and Dragons.
yep, that's why you have games with one boss encounter that takes 6 hours to finish. But some people like the micromanaged one step forward one step back game.

I said it earlier.... "You can't cast spells while using a two handed weapon period but here's a justification for why" & "a 2 handed weapon needs to be sheathed or dropped to free a hand for spellcasting not "re-gripped" or whatever because there's no rule for "re-gripping" anything." are hardly rulings that should be controversial or require rules lawyering justification.
I'm missing something. Why would you need to sheathe or drop your weapon to cast a spell? You can make somatic components with one hand: you don't need both.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I'm missing something. Why would you need to sheathe or drop your weapon to cast a spell? You can make somatic components with one hand: you don't need both.
You might as well be starting confusion over why a character might need to drop one or use multiple object interactions to go from a greatsword to a crossbow (or vice versa) even though you want to end with your hands in the original position. You need to switch to or from the spellcasting focus depending on which order the cast/weapon use is in.

You might as well be starting confusion over why a character might need to drop one or use multiple object interactions to go from a greatsword to a crossbow (or vice versa) even though you want to end with your hands in the original position. You need to switch to or from the spellcasting focus depending on which order the cast/weapon use is in.
They will move one hand from the greatsword, use that hand to cast the spell, and then put the hand back. The greatsword is not dropped, because it is held by the other hand!

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
They will move one hand from the greatsword, use that hand to cast the spell, and then put the hand back. The greatsword is not dropped, because it is held by the other hand!
We aren't talking about opening/closing a door or something. Do you have everyone using homebrew ioun stone style spellcasting focus items that float or come with their own hand so they don't fall when the PC drops it to put their hand back on the weapon? a player can't interact with the focus and stow the focus and interact with their weapon as their one free object interaction.

Remove ads