• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Re-Recruitment] When Journalists Attack!

Dark Eternal

First Post
anonystu said:
Oh, current relationships. Let's say, barring any other good ideas, that the following is the case (I'm welcome to suggestions).

Jarval and Argent, your characters have worked together for several years, and are the core of one of the Metro teams. You were moved to Metro right after the last election.

Sixchan, when you first joined, you spent a lot of time doing stories on the ground, for about a year. You've worked in the city occasionally, but have only started working full time in the city when you were moved to Jarval and Argent's team when they moved into the metro beat, about eleven months ago.

Dark Eternal, you spent last election season with the last metro team, and then were reassigned. You either haven't told people that fact, or been very reserved about talking about it. We'll talk about this more off-list, but the Float gave you three months vacation after last election season, probably for your sanity's sake. You joined this team after Argent's character kept on complaining about the crappy photographs the roving photograhers were taking.

Kalanyr, your call.

I'm cool with that. Perhaps he and Sel were casual friends, and only recently, when they 'happened' to get assigned to the same team have they really began to get involved? Let me know if you have any thoughts on this, Six... I'm still kind of feeling my way through how we want to set up our character's relationship, so any ideas/advice you'd like to suggest would be much appreciated. Also - Anonystu, would you like a compilation of details from the character history? I'm mostly thinking about names, although there are quite a few other possibilities. I thought it might make it easier to refer to past people/places/ events if we had actual names, instead of 'this one guy you knew back in law school... the human with the long hair', and similar.

anonystu

J'Accuse PirateCat!
Sure, names are good, although not vital, as I've got a pretty good name generator over here.

You probably didn't know Sel at all before being reassigned to her team: because of the danger of capture involved, journalist teams operate with very little knowledge of who else works there: you know your editor, but you've never seen him. You've never seen the offices (although Sel has seen something related to the float). You know the names of other journalists, because you get the paper obviously, but you've never seen them.

Jarval

Explorer
I've finished up my item and spell selection on the Rogues' Gallery thread. I'll have more background for you by tomorrow. Sorry about the delay, but I've got to go out this evening.

Jarval

Explorer
anonystu said:
Jarval - You need to finish your item selection, flesh out your background a wee bit more, pick at the very least a name for your god or goddess (along with a holy symbol), and pick your background points.

Hmm, I'm having problems adding to my background. What bits do you want to see fleshed out more? I'm also a bit stuck on the background points. Justin doesn't really seem to have any past sources of conflict to draw from.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

anonystu

J'Accuse PirateCat!
Argent, your background is really good. I approve. I guess your background points roll out something like: Nemesis (3/2)/Romance (1/2)?

Jarval, looking over yours, and comparing to Bambi, I think your background is pretty much set. I have a good idea who the character is, how he feels, what's happened to him. You mentioned when you originally posted that you needed to flesh out, and I was just reminding you, but if you're content, I'm content.

Background points:

Here's the full list from spycraft:

Amnesia
Debt
Defeated: You have been defeated by an enemy or a rival, and are determined to return the favor.
Fear: phobia phobia
GM Fiat
Hunted
Hunting
Long-Term Mission: You have a secondary mission which often overlaps with assignments you receive.
Lost (or Forbidden Love)
Mistaken Identity: Someone wants something from you, even if you're not the you they're looking for.
Nemesis: You have someone who is determined to defeat you.
Obligation
Romance
Stolen Object
True Identity
Vendetta: You have an enemy you long to destroy.
Vow

Maybe one of those will trigger you off: your relationship with your religion is currently not very detailed. Hard luck in the past? Good he's sworn to uphold? Secrets he's dying to find out? Quirks you want to add.

If you're completely stuck, don't worry. Don't add background points, and mid-game, we can assign them.

You're still up for designing your god/holy symbol, although if you want, just say, and you can shunt it to me.

This help?

Jarval

Explorer
If you're happy with my background, great. I'll fill out my relationship with my religion, and give you some detail on the religion itself.

Both Long-Term Mission and Nemesis sound like the could have potential :) I'll play around with a few ideas and get back to you.

Argent Silvermage

First Post
anonystu said:
Argent, your background is really good. I approve. I guess your background points roll out something like: Nemesis (3/2)/Romance (1/2)?
OK. But humor me.. What does that do? I never played Spycraft.
I know you said they should add up to 4 so go (2/2)

anonystu

J'Accuse PirateCat!
Well, so in spycraft, there's this whole system, that if you have a background, it has to do something every 3 games, and you get XP everytime, and if it doesn't come up, you get a lot more XP because I'm lazy, and it costs you skill points, and blah blah blah.

In this game, all this means is that you have two currently active subplots: there is someone who is out to destroy you, and you have a romantic interest. The numbers are the relative strengths of those: if it was Nemesis 3/Romance 1, then the subplots brought up by your romantic escapades would be far less serious than the politician trying to find you and destroy you.

Make sense?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads