• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reach and Charge

Cedric

First Post
I think I have this right, but want to check. Let's say that my big, slow Goliath Barbarian (racial substitution level) goes last in the turn...and that one of the other people in our group has already moved into melee combat with the target.

Can I "Charge" up right behind my teammate and swing over him to hit the target? I'll try to diagram what I mean....

1 = me
2 = teammate
3 = target
- = 5ft square

----------
1------23
----------

----------
----------

From the number 1 spot, can I swing past or over my teammate and hit number 3 as a 'charge' action?

OR...could I move thus...

-------1--
-------23-
----------

Thanks in advance for the help.

irdeggman

First Post
I don't believe either is acceptable. The latter definitely won't work.

CHARGE
Charging is a special full-round action that allows you to move up to twice your speed and attack during the action. However, it carries tight restrictions on how you can move.

Movement During a Charge: You must move before your attack, not after. You must move at least 10 feet (2 squares) and may move up to double your speed directly toward the designated opponent.

You must have a clear path toward the opponent, and nothing can hinder your movement (such as difficult terrain or obstacles). Here’s what it means to have a clear path. First, you must move to the closest space from which you can attack the opponent. (If this space is occupied or otherwise blocked, you can’t charge.) Second, if any line from your starting space to the ending space passes through a square that blocks movement, slows movement, or contains a creature (even an ally), you can’t charge. (Helpless creatures don’t stop a charge.)

If you don’t have line of sight to the opponent at the start of your turn, you can’t charge that opponent.

You can’t take a 5-foot step in the same round as a charge.

If you are able to take only a standard action or a move action on your turn, you can still charge, but you are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed). You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn.

Attacking on a Charge: After moving, you may make a single melee attack. You get a +2 bonus on the attack roll. and take a –2 penalty to your AC until the start of your next turn.
A charging character gets a +2 bonus on the Strength check made to bull rush an opponent (see Bull Rush, above).

Now an ally provides soft cover when using a reach weapon.

COVER
To determine whether your target has cover from your ranged attack, choose a corner of your square. If any line from this corner to any corner of the target’s square passes through a square or border that blocks line of effect or provides cover, or through a square occupied by a creature, the target has cover (+4 to AC).

When making a melee attack against an adjacent target, your target has cover if any line from your square to the target’s square goes through a wall (including a low wall). When making a melee attack against a target that isn’t adjacent to you (such as with a reach weapon), use the rules for determining cover from ranged attacks.

Soft Cover: Creatures, even your enemies, can provide you with cover against ranged attacks, giving you a +4 bonus to AC. However, such soft cover provides no bonus on Reflex saves, nor does soft cover allow you to make a Hide check.

Now I'm pretty sure that you can't make an attack off of a charge through cover - but I might be wrong on that one.

Cedric

First Post
Ok...so if it broke down like...

-----------
--------1-3
---------2-

So if 2 had run up to THAT spot, I'd be able to charge to the square 10ft away and attack? I'm fairly certain that will work, just trying to make sure I can coordinate things with my group as best I can.

I was thinking about taking the Powerful Charge feat and really want to be able to take advantage of charges.

Enkhidu

Explorer
I don't see anything wrong with this one, as charging doesn't seem to be singled out in the soft cover rules. Note that soft cover as per ranged attacks would apply.

----------
----------

I do, however, see a problem with this one:

-------1--
-------23-
----------

As charging requires "shortest distance." - Scenario #1 is a 30' charge, while scenario #2 is 35'.

However, I think that this:

------1---
-------23-
----------

would work, as under the movement rules a single 5' diagonal deviation is just another 5'. Note that soft cover would still apply in this case.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
irdeggman said:
Now I'm pretty sure that you can't make an attack off of a charge through cover - but I might be wrong on that one.

I can't think of any rule that would prevent it...

-Hyp.

Christian

Explorer
You need line of sight to the target to charge it--but only total cover breaks line of sight.
Partial or soft cover causes no problem that I can see.

Remove ads