Reach Spell. +Two Spell Lvls??

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Well... 1e ressurection had what was in my opinion a much worse 'component' - it aged you 5 years when you cast it.

And let's not forget, to Raise an elf of a half-orc required a Rod of Resurrection, or a Wish. That was about the extent of your options.

(Soulless faerie freaks... :) )

-Hyp.

melkoriii

First Post
SpikeyFreak said:
Melky....

I think part of the problem is that you are multi-classed. Meta-magic feats are never very effective for multi-classes characters because they have a lot less spell slots.

I think the feat is fine as is. And making it divine only or only +1 level for divine casters would only increase the power gap between wizards and clerics that is already there.

My two cents.

--Poor Spikey

I think your right Spikey. As a 10th lvl Cleric I would have 5th lvl spells and could use 3rd lvl with Reach. Much better than my 7th lvl cleric (though Im 10th lvl). The problem I see is that the the spell slots are worth much more to me than a 2nd lvl spell with reach as a 4th lvl spell. Plus Im the only healer in the party. Getting hit trying to heal some one is not a problem. Dodge, Mobility second highest HP in party, Good AC.

So far the only MM Feat that seems useful to me is Highten Spell.

Having truble picking my 9th lvl Feat and Im 10th lvl now heading to 11th.

Leadership really is not a option with the game dynamics as they are.

Was looking for a reason to get Reach at +1 slot as then it would have some worth to me, still not great worth but some.

Quite frustrating.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Crothian said:

We go against some tough things. We use tactics and a great amount of healing. We've had some close calls. Last week the Druid went down to -8 before I could heal him. I was 5. If I went down, then no one could do any healing and we'd be in trouble. Plus, we know when we're in over our head. If the encounter is to tough, we run. No shame in running to live to the next day.

So, in these games do people really try not to die? Or do they fight till their last breath knowing that the party will bring them back later?

The party I DM does everything it can not to have ANY casualties in any encounter. They have become very attached to their characters over the last 2 years and when the first PC death occured (about 6 months ago) the player was very upset and almost didn't want to come back to the game. I didn't want to kill his PC (I hate doing it but we have had 3 more PC deaths in the meantime) but to me it would have been very 'unrealistic' (bleh) to have him survive the situation he got himself into.

The PCs were very fortunate they had forged such good relations with the local temples (and they were on a mission for one of them too). The PC was raised and had an even stronger tie to the temple after his monk was visited (in the 'afterlife') by 3 gods - one good, one neutral and one evil and they asked him to choose (he was LN and said before this that he would follow his own inner light rather than a god). It led to some great RPing on his part and added a great deal of depth to his character.

Death is rarely the 'end' for a PC - unless s/he's 1st level ;)

Holy Bovine

First Post
IanB said:

Well... 1e ressurection had what was in my opinion a much worse 'component' - it aged you 5 years when you cast it. Note that the note about that isn't in the 1e PH, you have to look in the DMG near the beginning where there are some additional rules about spellcasting, and some notes on specific spells. Just a historical note...

**smacks head** - must have forgotten about that little wrinkle (in my defense I was looking only at the 1st ed PHB when I posted - and I haven't played 1e in about 13 years ;) ).

Hypersmurf - LOL!! :D

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Metamagic feats aren't good until you can cast 5th or maybe 6th level spells. That's why it's so hard.

An Empowered magic missile is nothing to a lightning bolt - and a Maximized ray of frost is just silly.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
**smacks head** - must have forgotten about that little wrinkle (in my defense I was looking only at the 1st ed PHB when I posted - and I haven't played 1e in about 13 years ;) ).

The other thing in 1E (aside from the Resurrection Survival roll, and I really can't understand Holy Bovine's apparent dismissal of it - 25% chance of failure for an average character is hardly negligible!) was the Con-based limit on Raises - you could only be raised up to a number of times equal to your initial Con score.

The way we played it was that a Raise automatically deducted one from your Con... thus making your next Res Survival roll more difficult.

The unluckiest character I ever met started with an 18 Constitution. By the time we left that group, he was a 10th level fighter, and his Con was down to 9...

-Hyp.

Remove ads