Reach Spell. +Two Spell Lvls??

melkoriii

First Post
Has anyone found Reach Spell feat useful?

I was looking at this for my cleric thinking cool I can heal from 30' away. But then I saw +2 spell lvls not +1 and Now Im thinking its not worth it.

I mean 3rd lvl spell to heal 1d8+5 at 30' not worth a 3rd lvl.

Im looking for usefulness at +2 lvls before I ask my DM to make it +1 lvl

Xarlen

First Post
I thought it was +3!

Oh, It's useful. Imagine a 6th level poison spell you can smack someone upside the head with from 30' feet away. Or, if your Dm hasn't changed it, Harm from 30' feet away. Fair 'nough, it's an 8th level slot, but... it's HARM. 30' feet away. No save. Just point and bonk.

graydoom

First Post
Harm is a very compelling reason to keep it at +2. As are some of the other nice touch spells, adding range to those really can be worth it.

Albereth

First Post
Hmmm, your fighter has fallen down a pit trap and is surrounded by and almost ready to go down casting that cure spell could be all he needs to win. You can not reach out and touch him as he is outside of touch range and your going into the pit is out of the question. Yes, there are good uses for it and it probably makes sense for a +2 spell level.

melkoriii

First Post
graydoom said:
Harm is a very compelling reason to keep it at +2. As are some of the other nice touch spells, adding range to those really can be worth it.

Ok but for a 7th lvl spell I can cast Holy Word that has no Save.
HD
12 or more Deafened
Less than 12 Blinded, deafened
Less than 8 Paralyzed, blinded, deafened
Less than 4 Killed, paralyzed, blinded, deafened
The effects are cumulative.

Deafened: The creature is deafened (see blindness/deafness) for 1d4 rounds.

Blinded: The creature is blinded (see blindness/deafness) for 2d4 rounds.

Paralyzed: The creature is paralyzed and helpless for 1d10 minutes, unable to move or act in any way.

Killed: Living creatures die. Undead creatures are destroyed.

For 8th lvl Holy Arua

Targets: One creature/level in a 20-ft.-radius burst centered on the character

A brilliant divine radiance surrounds the subjects, protecting them from attacks, granting them resistance to spells cast by evil creatures, and blinding evil creatures when they strike the subjects. This abjuration has four effects:

First, the warded creatures gain a +4 deflection bonus to AC and a +4 resistance bonus to saves. Unlike protection from evil, this benefit applies against all attacks, not just against attacks by evil creatures.

Second, the warded creatures gain SR 25 against evil spells and spells cast by evil creatures.

Third, the abjuration blocks possession and mental influence, just as protection from evil does.

Finally, if an evil creature succeeds at a melee attack against a warded creature, the offending attacker is blinded (Fortitude save negates, as blindness/deafness, but against holy aura’s save DC).

The DC will be around 25-30

melkoriii

First Post
Albereth said:
Hmmm, your fighter has fallen down a pit trap and is surrounded by and almost ready to go down casting that cure spell could be all he needs to win. You can not reach out and touch him as he is outside of touch range and your going into the pit is out of the question. Yes, there are good uses for it and it probably makes sense for a +2 spell level.

So 1d8+5 HP for a 3rd lvl will make or brake his situation.

I see a Summons III has a better chance of helping him.

melkoriii

First Post
Xarlen said:
I thought it was +3!

Oh, It's useful. Imagine a 6th level poison spell you can smack someone upside the head with from 30' feet away. Or, if your Dm hasn't changed it, Harm from 30' feet away. Fair 'nough, it's an 8th level slot, but... it's HARM. 30' feet away. No save. Just point and bonk.

Oh and to use Harm 30' at spell slot 8th lvl you need to be lvl 15 Cleric IF you are not multi-classes (I am)

At the lvl you need to get past SR 25+ for any mob you would want to use it on. Not too easy.

Mahali

Explorer
I personally don't think it's worth it. The rest of my party does but they're all sword swingers at heart.
I think having a feat allowing cure spells at 0 level change would be appropriate and worthwhile. At +1 level I might consider it but never at +2. If I was an offensive Harming/Cause X Wounding cleric it might be worthwhile but to me the price is too high.
The party should know not to run too far in front of the dwarvin healing machine.

Kyamsil

First Post
I think that +2 levels is balanced. Consider the Spell Specialization feat from Tome and Blood. With Reach Spell, the spell is effectively a ray, so it can be Splitted, is subject to Spell Specialization, Weapon Focus (Ray), and so on.
Also consider that for example, Reached Vampiric Touch is 5th level, and not 4th level, it seems a little overpowered at fourth level, at least to me.

Crothian

First Post
I think it's very balanced. There a lot of cool spells that require touch, now you have no need to risk getting close to the fighting.

Remove ads