D&D 5E Reactions for all monsters!

How do you feel reactions should be handled for monsters?

• Reactions are special because they can turn a battle, and only important monsters should get them

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Give reactions to nearly every creature; it adds options for the DM

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • Other

Votes: 17 41.5%

Dausuul

Legend
For mooks, I'd probably design something reaction-like that didn't require tracking, and was a response to specific circumstances. The idea would be that it happens once, and then players adjust their tactics to avoid it, and the monsters try to box them in so they have to trigger it. It would add extra depth to the battle, without having to actually resolve the ability very often.

The problem with 'mook' types having reactions is tracking them.

It's easier with distinctive, solos or big bads.

A counter next to the monster helps (chuck a token next to them when they take a reaction).

Every NPC already has a reaction (Opp Att). Adding other reactions is... or can be cumbersome. Tracking/bookkeeping, slows down combat, etc.

Sure, give any NPC a special reaction when needed to add to fun, but not just because you are bored.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Yeah, I think that encounters should be designed as lairs, with PC having to deal with the primary monster, mooks, terrain etc. That way reactions take the same role as lair actions for higher CR creatures.

so if the Afanc is your primary then, it gets to be the center of an active lair with the Musk Spray triggered as a lair action.

mooks shouldnt get there own reactions however

Irlo

Hero
I agree with several here that this could be burdensome and slow things down, particularly with this example creature. If there were multiple afancs, each one potentially triggering mulitple CON saves, with multiple uses and durations that need to be tracked ... well, I wouldn't enjoy it. I'm all for adding more interesting bits to monsters. If you can keep it more streamlined, it would be better. Some creatures have effects that are consequences rather than reactions -- like the heated body of the azer. Creature gets hit, fire damage happens. Maybe more of those things?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Reactions make fora great addition to a fight. Mobs don't really need them, but I give many singular monsters reactions or a single legendary action per round to spice things up.

Yaarel

He Mage
Maybe most Beasts should have reactions, especially because it feels plausible, and keeps the encounter interesting.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Reactions aren't that special, but they should be used judiciously. This is not the bad Syndrome logic of "when everyone is special, no one is," but rather that reactions as a game design element can be used very poorly if not given proper thought. They can drag down the pace of play and make things actually much less interesting, rather than the reverse.

But you SHOULD use them. I'd even say most fights should have at least one creature with a reaction--so that the tool is in the toolbox, as it were.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases