ready an action against a cleric

ShadowMaster

First Post
If I ready an action preventing a caster to cast a spell, after that I move next to him. What can prevent the caster from backing up 5' and cast his spell from there?

Can we wait for the caster to start casting before moving?

IceBear

Explorer
The 5ft of movement with the readied action is given with a partial action.

So, if you are standing next to a cleric, you can ready an action to attack him should he cast a spell. If the cleric steps back 5ft and starts casting, your readied action kicks in so you can step up the 5ft and attack.

IceBear

Vaxalon

First Post
He's talking about a situation in which you've already moved, and so don't have your five foot step.

Personally, in this situation I'd pull out a missile weapon if I absolutely had to interrupt his spell. Alchemist's Fire works particularly well.

IceBear

Explorer
Ah...ok

I'd still allow a 5ft move (not step) with the readied action in that case (if you haven't moved 30ft already).

But, yeah, if you're in that situation, just run up to him and try to trip him or use a missle weapon.

IceBear

Vaxalon

First Post
Yes, of course you can. You can ready any action short of a full-round action.

The trip rules are on PHB139. Did you check the index before you asked?

mikebr99

Explorer
You can't charge 5ft.

If you are threatening a spellcaster and ready and action to attack him if he casts a spell, that's all you need to say.

If it takes a partial charge to get there and attack the spellcaster just before he starts the spell, then that is what happens automatically.

IceBear

Explorer
Yup, Mike has it. I had completely misunderstood the situationin the original post so sorry if I muddled things up.

The only thing to watch for with the partial charge to interrupt is that if you are exactly 30ft away from the spellcaster, if he decides to step back 5ft and cast you can reach him with the partial charge unless you have a reach weapon, so in that case readying a missle attack might be better.

IceBear

Remove ads