D&D (2024) Rebalancing melee weapons for 5.5E

Horwath

Legend
Right now the weapon table looks little bit chaotic with some weapons having little sense in their traits and their damage.

For this I will take for base from 3.5e simple 1Handed weapon that has d8 damage and critical of 20/×2(the default and only weapon crit range in 5E)
as 5E does not have 1+1/2 str bonus for 2Handed melee attack, Versatile property is non-value, that is it's free for all non-finesse, non-light, non-thrown weapons

thrown property is little buffed and universal at 40/120 ft range
if you feel that because of some "legacy" theme some light weapons that do not have thrown property but should have some, give them 20/40 thrown property for free.

to have all properties used, table will have both simple and martial weapon damage in same row.
make your own examples for weapons, these are just placeholder names.

Weapon traitsSimple weapon damageexampleMartial weapon damageexample
1Handed, Versatiled8(d10)maced10(d12)longsword
1Handed, Thrownd6javelind8trident
1Handed, finessed6long knifed8rapier
1Handed, lightd6clubd8arming sword
1Handed, reach, Versatiled6 (d8)speard8(d10)partisan
1Handed, finesse, lightd4daggerd6shorsword
1Handed, finesse, reachd4whipd6dagger whip
1Handed, finesse, thrownd4dartd6throwing hammer
1Handed, light, thrownd4pillumd6throwing axe
1Handed, finesse, light, thrownd3throwing knifed4chakram
2Handed, heavy2d6warmace2d8greatsword
2Handedd12greatclub2d6claymore
2Handed, heavy, reachd12pike2d6pole-ax
2Handed, reachd10longspeard12glaive
2Handed, finessed10bo staffd12elven courtblade
2Handed, finesse, reachd8elven speard10spiked chain

Lojaan

Hero
This is fine. Some odd choices but that's normal for a weapon list (throwing hammer is finesse but throwing axe is not?).

The main thing I would change is the versatile trait. Going up one damage die is insufficient. Make it that you can add 1.5 X STR mod for 2 handed weapons instead. Also nerf GWM so this is not OP.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
I don't want generic categories. I want more reasons to distinguish weapons from each other.

I want a reason to choose Glaive vs Halberd. They're not the same weapon and they shouldn't be reduced down to the same thing.

Here's a blog post that posits a couple different solutions - such as adding a "hacking" type for axes, or else adding weight for special effects on critical for slashing, piercing, or all types (bludgeoning are heaviest weapons, so they don't needed a special effect specific to them).

Horwath

Legend
I don't want generic categories. I want more reasons to distinguish weapons from each other.

I want a reason to choose Glaive vs Halberd. They're not the same weapon and they shouldn't be reduced down to the same thing.

Here's a blog post that posits a couple different solutions - such as adding a "hacking" type for axes, or else adding weight for special effects on critical for slashing, piercing, or all types (bludgeoning are heaviest weapons, so they don't needed a special effect specific to them).
I agree, but I do not thing that WotC will go with that.

Name of the weapon and design will mostly be flavor and weapon damage type: B, P or S

one additional trait:
Adaptive: this weapon has two damage types(B, P, S), every attack uses what is better for the weapon in respect for damage reduction

what attacking you can gain benefit of both weapon damage type feats if you have them: Crusher, Piercer, Slasher. You cannot use the feat if the target has damage immunity.
Reduce the damage die by one step for those weapons.
due to being complicated in desing, Adaptive weapons cannot be light or thrown.

codo

Hero
One thing people are overlooking with the new crit rules is that it opens up more design space for weapons. Now that you can't double extra damage dice on a crit you can more easily expand the crit range on weapons without rouges and paladins being brokenly overpowered.
For example: Rapier: Finesse, one-handed, 1d6 damage, Crit Range 18-20.

Certain weapons can also add extra damage on a crit. Maybe most heavy weapons and versatile weapons used in 2 hands can roll damage dice 3 times on a crit. Just for fun make great axes roll dice 4 times on a crit.

This is fine. Some odd choices but that's normal for a weapon list (throwing hammer is finesse but throwing axe is not?).

The main thing I would change is the versatile trait. Going up one damage die is insufficient. Make it that you can add 1.5 X STR mod for 2 handed weapons instead. Also nerf GWM so this is not OP.
I think the primary thing here is that you can just make the weapon you want. That the 'example' weapon is exactly that: an example. And, from what I can see, strength based weapons have the highest damage dice, so maybe that's the benefit?

@Horwath I'm not sure Heavy is a benefit. It's more of a penalty that should make your damage dice increase another increment. Heavy REQUIRES 2 hands and small creatures have disadvantage to use them. Some of the weapons on your list don't make this clear.

For example: a Glaive and a poleaxe. One is (poleaxe) does slightly more minimum damage(2d6) and is Heavy(penalty) while a Glave does 1d12 can be wielded in one hand by a halfling.

Therefore, I suggest all 2 handed weapons have the Heavy property (unless they are versatile) and increase their Dice Value.

Last edited:

One thing people are overlooking with the new crit rules is that it opens up more design space for weapons. Now that you can't double extra damage dice on a crit you can more easily expand the crit range on weapons without rouges and paladins being brokenly overpowered.
For example: Rapier: Finesse, one-handed, 1d6 damage, Crit Range 18-20.

Certain weapons can also add extra damage on a crit. Maybe most heavy weapons and versatile weapons used in 2 hands can roll damage dice 3 times on a crit. Just for fun make great axes roll dice 4 times on a crit.
If they are expanding crit ranges, then crit range can be added to a weapon at the expense of damage dice.

darjr

I crit!
Mike Mearls had mentioned that they toyed with the idea of weapons doing static damage. That way a rapier could do, say, 5 HP and a scimitar 9, and a great sword 13. It was an attempt to differentiate weapons from each other.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
These are the rebalancing I use at the table. I use to have varying crit range/number of die rolled ala 3e, but I havent decided if it would be a good addition.

Mundane Weapons
WeaponDamageTypePropertyHandsWeightCost & Rarity
Club1d4B-Off1
Crossbow1d8PRanged ( 50/100), Reload2h2
Dagger1d4PFinesse, Throw (10, 20)Off1
Hammer1d6BThrow (10/ 20)1h1
Handaxe1d6SFinesse, Throw (10/ 20)Off1
Javelin1d6PThrow (20/ 40)1h1
Mace1d6BVersatile +21h/2h2
Mallet2d4B-2h2
Quarterstaff1d6BReach +52h2
Sling1d4BFinesse, Throw (30/60)1h-