• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rebellion Era Campaign Guide

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I have to say I'm baffled by the desire for major character stats, when I clearly remember that was one of the things most argued and complained about from the last edition of the game.

For me it came down to looking at the Darth Vader's entry the end of the core book and wondering what class Anakin started as and if he "retrained" his original class level to Jedi after he became a padawan.

Obryn

Hero
I think one of the biggest problems with statting up major NPCs is when later supplements come out with stuff that's even better for that particular character, be it feats, talents, or a prestige class. :)

-O

evildmguy

Explorer
While this thread is specifically about the Rebellion Era Sourcebook, it's also about SWS and that's what I am going to talk about.

If I have any complaint about the SWS system, it would be what was mentioned above in needing a character generator to help track everything that comes out. I think there is a certain amount of bloat happening but nothing that is unexpected to me. A character generator to help track this would be great! It doesn't need to be as extensive as the DDI 4E generator, an Excel spreadsheet would do. I have casual players and the less they have to worry about for the game mechanics is good for me. Along the same lines, a starship generator would also be quite cool.

I was disappointed that there is only one tile set but with a large variety of worlds, ships and environments, it's probably going to be tough to make something that covers a lot.

edg

Belen

Adventurer
Hey Rodney...thank you for responding in this thread. SWSE is my current system of choice. I just wish you guys would port it into a new d20 modern!

That said, I do have some feedback for you. It seems that a lot of later mechanics have become less useful. I generally do not allow feats or talents except from the Core, Starships, or KOTOR books because a lot of them have been encounter powers or conditional in nature.

I would really like to see a lot more mechanics that went back to the basics found in the core book.

I also would not mind more force power type mechanics for other classes. You have Force Training and Starship tactics, but I think that there is a wasted opportunity by not having more of these types of feats.

I buy almost all the new SWSE books out of habit and pure love of the game, but I find it difficult to use the mechanics other than new starships, droids, and equipment.

I hope that I am making sense.

Caliber42

First Post
Just picked up Rebellion Era CG last night and thus far I've really enjoyed the content within. No real complaints to speak of that wouldn't otherwise be just nitpicking. Pretty please with the quality of the SWSE products out of the five I own.

-Cal

AFGNCAAP

First Post
I haven't obtained a copy of the book yet, but I wasn't really grabbed to get it with what bits & pieces I saw (books like the Scavenger's Guide to Droids, though, have really grabbed my interest).

I did notice SAGA stats for a gaderrfii/gaffi stick, but I didn't notice monster stats/character stats for a Tusken Raider in the book (IIRC, there wasn't a New Species section in the book, nor did I notice any sidebars with Tusken Raiders [or any other new Species] in the book, either [not that I saw, at least]).

The campaign guides were nice, but IMHO, I'd have to agree that it's a good idea to stray away from those (as well as defining to much; the Clone Wars cartoon & the planned live-action TV series may define/redifine a lot of existing stuff, as well as introduce new stuff altogether).

As nice as the information from the various campaign guides is, I find that I often use a vasy majority of it for games set around the times of the films (since it's the best reference point/knowledge base for most of my players). Having info on movie characters (esp. the main characters) is useful, but I don't use it that much—they're often involved in other stuff (and, from previous experience w/ D&D, I'm very tired of having the PCs mess with a famous NPC so they could say they've messed with that NPC, just because they could, whether it's in-character or not for the PC).

The most useful material for me, ATM, are new Species (for PCs & NPCs, esp. species featured in the movies or TV shows), NPCs (esp. if they'll be used in situations where stats would be useful, like combat, etc.), vehicles (for a bit of dviersity & choice, so that everyone's not running around in a YT-1300), droids (similar reason as w/ vehicles & new Species), and even a new Prestige Class or 2 (esp. ones that are borad enough for use in many campaigns, or could be pursued by [almost] any class).

Then again, having this info in web articles (like the Planet Hoppers feature on the WotC website) would be great, as well. Then again, having a DDI for Star Wars SE would be very useful, as well.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
While this thread is specifically about the Rebellion Era Sourcebook, it's also about SWS and that's what I am going to talk about.

If I have any complaint about the SWS system, it would be what was mentioned above in needing a character generator to help track everything that comes out. I think there is a certain amount of bloat happening but nothing that is unexpected to me. A character generator to help track this would be great! It doesn't need to be as extensive as the DDI 4E generator, an Excel spreadsheet would do. I have casual players and the less they have to worry about for the game mechanics is good for me. Along the same lines, a starship generator would also be quite cool.

I was disappointed that there is only one tile set but with a large variety of worlds, ships and environments, it's probably going to be tough to make something that covers a lot.

edg

There's one or two .xls sheets out there for making Saga characters. They aren't perfect, and I don't think any are FULLY up to date, but they do reduce a lot of work that goes into making a character.

Arcas_Shan

First Post
Oh god, stop demanding multiple versions of the same character. One version is enough for us to make the others ourselves. As Rodney said, otherwise there would always be people that complain on the boards why Lando's charisma isn't as high as they like it or why Luke Skywalker doesn't have Djem So etc.. We also have the big advantage that we can use material from all the books. Bastila Shan for example becomes a lot better if you give her the Unleashed feat for her Battle Meditation.

There's only one thing that really, really annoys me since Starships of the Galaxy. The Rebellion Era Campaign Guide was the last straw to make me throw a rule completely overboard. In Starships of the Galaxy we got the rule that Turbolasers could only be installed into ships that are Colossal [frigate] or larger. That made sense and protected the Luke Skywalker- and Han Solo-wannabes from being blasted to pieces with one lucky shot because the big ships took -20 penalty against starfighters. In the same book we had an upgraded Gozanti Cruiser (colossal) of an ally of Jabba the Hutt that had 3 Turbolasers.... In KOTOR a Sith shuttle with a turbolaser and now in the Rebellion Era Campaign Guide a TIE-fighter. Sorry, but if the enemies of the players can have turbolasers on ships that are 3 sizes too small for that I can't see any reason for the rule to exist. That's no reason to stop playing Saga, but it's a reason to allow turbolasers on a player space transport.

Treebore

First Post
Oh god, stop demanding multiple versions of the same character. One version is enough for us to make the others ourselves. As Rodney said, otherwise there would always be people that complain on the boards why Lando's charisma isn't as high as they like it or why Luke Skywalker doesn't have Djem So etc.. We also have the big advantage that we can use material from all the books. Bastila Shan for example becomes a lot better if you give her the Unleashed feat for her Battle Meditation.

There's only one thing that really, really annoys me since Starships of the Galaxy. The Rebellion Era Campaign Guide was the last straw to make me throw a rule completely overboard. In Starships of the Galaxy we got the rule that Turbolasers could only be installed into ships that are Colossal [frigate] or larger. That made sense and protected the Luke Skywalker- and Han Solo-wannabes from being blasted to pieces with one lucky shot because the big ships took -20 penalty against starfighters. In the same book we had an upgraded Gozanti Cruiser (colossal) of an ally of Jabba the Hutt that had 3 Turbolasers.... In KOTOR a Sith shuttle with a turbolaser and now in the Rebellion Era Campaign Guide a TIE-fighter. Sorry, but if the enemies of the players can have turbolasers on ships that are 3 sizes too small for that I can't see any reason for the rule to exist. That's no reason to stop playing Saga, but it's a reason to allow turbolasers on a player space transport.

Well that is why the GM is still boss, not the rule books. When you see problems like that you fix them however you see fit. Then ask WOTC, "WTH are you doing?!?" and see what happens in errata.

You know another way I control rules bloat? Only allow the talents, feats, etc... that apply to the era I am running. Just because its in the books, or from an earlier era does not mean its available. Lots of "lore" has been lost/destroyed from era to era, so is not automatically available to the players.

In other words, be a GM and control your game as you should, and in turn you will control "rules bloat".

My only serious complaint about how WOTC is handling things is allowing things to go OOP and stay OOP.

Starships of the Galaxy being the prime example. If I had to buy it now, and my only options being eBay or something similar to Amazon resellers I would not own this book, because it is simply waaaay over priced. Unfortunately there are SW SAGA addicts who apparently are willing to pay such rediculous prices.

So we would do without until we found the book at retail price or lower, like we did.

So I would like to know why WOTC does not do reprints? The SW line sell too weakly to support such a thing?

drothgery

First Post
So I would like to know why WOTC does not do reprints? The SW line sell too weakly to support such a thing?

I think you'll find that RPGs generally sell to weakly to support print runs of supplements beyond the original. There are very, very few exceptions to this, even in D&D.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads