• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recommend a good fantasy boardgame?

mojo1701

First Post
John Q. Mayhem said:
LotR Risk is fun. Significant strategy differences from normal Risk.

Yes, this is quite true. There's a normal version, and a "Trilogy Edition." Which one do you have, John?

JoeGKushner

First Post
Dungeoneer is fun. I have all four packs.

Risk Godstorm is supposed to be a blast. I have 2120 and it's fun.

Not fantasy, but Apples to Apples is a great game.

Ditto on Settlers.

mojo1701

First Post
John Q. Mayhem said:
Normal. I think the only difference is the map, but I've only played Trilogy once.

Besides the fact that different strategy comes ino play for holding certain continents, there are also some extra ring cards (the worst
are the two cards that say "If a good force controls Minas Tirith, gain 10 batallions" and "If an evil force controls the Black Gate, gain 10 batallions"
).

Last edited:

You could play D&D. ;)

*badump bump*

Also, Blood Bowl's a bit of a niche product, but I like it as a fantasy boardgame quite a bit. In fact, I'm part of a Blood Bowl league currently.

Last edited:

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I've been on a huge boardgame kick recently. Here's my picks:

Easy to find games:
Runebound: Great game that is farily similar to Talisman, but since it just came out in the last year it won't break the bank to buy a copy. Very fun.

Heroscape: I bought this one on a whim and I'm loving it. I've downloaded and written up stats for many of my D&D, Mageknight, and Star Wars minis to use in that game.

Battleball: It's a farily simple little "future football" game. It's pretty fun, and it's super quick to play. Plus, it comes with some pretty cool sci-fi-like miniatures. Plus, Toys R Us and Kay Bee Toys have been selling it for under $10!

Betrayal at House on the Hill: Not technically a fantasy game, but it's great fun anyway. The whole traitor twist in the middle of the game coupled with a LOT of different scenarios make for a lot of replayability.

Now the Hard to find games:
Talisman: Good luck in finding anything other than the 3rd edition set for sale at a LGS. Even then, it's still $70. As for finding any of the expasions they're all for earlier editions (no official expasions for 3rd Ed.), and they sell for well over $100 on Ebay if you can find them at all. If you can find a copy and afford it, do so. It's simple and lots of fun.

Warhammer Quest: This is GW's more super-advanced Heroquest game. This is another that is going to be very hard to find at a good price. However, it's probably the best game that GW has ever put out. Lot's of great plastic minis, and some excellent rules to boot!

Hero Quest: Good luck in finding a complete copy and finding a copy for under $75-100. However, it's still a great hack and slash dungeon delve game. Easy to set up and play.

Hope that helps,
Kane

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
I'll second the listings for "Runebound", "Dungeoneer", and "Iron Dragon", and the "LotR" games (expansions and all.), and "Betrayal at House on the Hill."

May I also recommend:
--Cthuhlu 500 (awesome card-game about car-racing, Cthulhu style!)
--ARkham Horror (Cthulhu board game: long OOP, but being re-issued.)
--"Game of Thrones" (and the expansion "Clash of Kings")-- one of my current favorite games. Suprised no-one mentioned this already!
--"War of the Ring": new LotR board-game. AWESOME bits.
--"Star Wars: Queens Gambit". Depsite the crapitude of the prequels, this is a cool game.

I'll try to think of some others, if you need them.

Last edited:

John Crichton

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
You could play D&D. ;)

*badump bump*

Also, Blood Bowl's a bit of a niche product, but I like it as a fantasy boardgame quite a bit. In fact, I'm part of a Blood Bowl league currently.
You are a lucky man. If there was a Blood Bowl League around here I would join in an instant. The one that I was fortunately enough to participate in was loads of fun.

John Crichton said:
You are a lucky man. If there was a Blood Bowl League around here I would join in an instant. The one that I was fortunately enough to participate in was loads of fun.

I agree. My games and mini's are gathering dust. It's high time the Crookback Cut-Throats (Skaven) were given a chance to do their thing again!
:cool:

Blood Bowl was also cool 'cos you could have the fun of painting GW army, with only minimal expense, at least compared to the big army stuff.

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
If there was a Blood Bowl League around here I would join in an instant. The one that I was fortunately enough to participate in was loads of fun.

It's probably a ways out of your way, but round my area (Boston, Mass.), my FLGS (www.dangerplanetgames.com) has Blood Bowl Leagues twice a year (or so.) If you're ever in the area, give me a holler, I'd be happy to give you a match against either the "Deephold Dwarves" or the "Berkleyshire Bumblebees"-- the Halfling Team that went 4-4 in the last league!!)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads