• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RECRUITING CLOSED! 4ed: The Wolfcrown

Hey folks, thanks for all the interest. Just a couple quick notes: for those of you playing religious-type characters, we'll be using a customized (and simplified) pantheon. Please take that into consideration, especially if you're playing a divine character. If you're submitting a character sheet, please send me a direct message so that I can send you the document with all the info.

Additionally, please use the standard point-buy system. I'm sorry I didn't make that clear earlier.

I like the submissions so far, and I'll post individualized replies in a few minutes, once I've had time to look at all of them.

Alright, folks, I've had time to look through the submissions so far, and I like what I'm seeing. Personalized replies included below.

I'd like to see about a paragraph of background for each submission now, so if you haven't direct-messaged me about it, please send me your e-mail address so I can get you the setting information. For religious characters, this is doubly important, as we'll be using a custom pantheon of gods.

[sblock=yzard]Glad to see Thom is back. The build looks solid. Please remember to direct-message me your e-mail address so that I can give you the setting info so you can flesh out your background a bit.[/sblock]

[sblock=Shayuri]Dev is pretty much in. Please take a look at the e-mail I sent you, then flesh out your character background a bit.[/sblock]

[sblock=IndustryGothica]Mr. Stoneheart is a solid build, IG. Please take a look at the e-mail I sent you, then pick a new deity from the ones that exist within the setting. Once you've done that, I'd like to see about a paragraph of background information on the character.[/sblock]

[sblock=Phaezen]Firstly, Squeal is a terrific name for a Barbarian. Thanks for the prompt communication. I definitely appreciate that. Take a look at the e-mail I sent you, work out your character background, and then post your build. I'm excited to see what you can come up with![/sblock]

[sblock=Barshevy]The build for your fighter is excellent. Please send me your e-mail address so that I can get you some information on the campaign setting, then you'll be able to elaborate on your very promising background story.[/sblock]

[sblock=Rathan]Firstly, it's alright to play a Cleric, as IG's submission is an Invoker. I do have a few requests, though. Firstly, please use the standard point-buy system found in the PHB. It'll help to start on even footing, I feel. Secondly, I noted your concern that we'll be starting at level 1, but I believe I'll have the characters levelling up rather quickly. Lastly, please drop me a direct message containing your e-mail address so that I can send you the campaign setting information. Among that information is a list of the 4 gods that exist within this setting, so that you can choose to follow a deity that is in alignment with the kind of character you want to play. Once you adjust those things and post about a paragraph of background story, I'll consider your submission.[/sblock]

With 6 solid submissions so far, it's quite possible that you'll all get to play. For a quick reference to all the received submissions, please check the first post.

Phaezen

First Post
Squeal was discovered, heavily damaged and inert, by explorers in a ruin in Vespus roughly a year ago. He was taken as loot to Port September and sold to a noble of the Blacklake region as a curiosity.

Sages inspecting the find noted that its design is roughly one hundred years old and is likely to have been constructed by minions of The Evil One, although the damage and weathering show that Squeal has been inert for around 70 years.

3 months ago one of the sages who investigated Squeal when he was first brought to the region offered the noble a ritual which might reactivate the warforged, and bind it as a slave to the noble. The noble jumped on the opportunity more for the novelty of having a "living" relic as a servant, more than anything else.

Squeal awoke with no memories of its past or its purpose and agreed to serve the noble as a bodyguard. Amongst the various task that Squeal has been put to has included various bouts in the arena.

A week ago the noble was found butchered, seemingly hacked to pieces. Squeal was missing until he was arrested with the rest of the group for the murder of the king.

Squeal is a seemingly innocent, having no memories from before waking up 3 months ago and finds the world around him intriguing. Those who have seen him fight in the arena have been syurprised by the violend shift in personality and the brutalness his displays in combat.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Squeal, level 1
Warforged, Barbarian
Feral Might: Whirling Slayer

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 16, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 14, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 13.

AC: 16 Fort: 16 Reflex: 13 Will: 12
HP: 31 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +9, Athletics +8, Intimidate +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Arcana -1, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering, Heal, History -1, Insight, Nature, Perception, Religion -1, Stealth +1, Streetwise +1, Thievery +1

FEATS
Level 1: Two-Weapon Fighting

POWERS
Barbarian at-will 1: Whirling Rend
Barbarian at-will 1: Pressing Strike
Barbarian encounter 1: Whirling Frenzy
Barbarian daily 1: Bloodhunt Rage

ITEMS
Hide Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Longsword, Trident (2), Backpack (empty), Flint and Steel, Pouch, Belt (empty), Rope, hempen (50 ft.), Sunrod (2)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Notes: This is an initial background, one or two details may change. Is there a gladiators arena in the area?

I am more than happy to shift the time frame from Squeal's re-awakening to his disappearance to fit with the kings death.

Last edited:

Terrific background, Phaezen. Your timeframe works out well.

And yes, there's a gladiator arena in Black Lake Proper. The beginning of the game will coincide with a large festival in honor of the gods, and one of the events available shortly thereafter will be gladiatorial combat.

Rathan

First Post
I've changed the point buy and the things each ability effected I do believe correctly.... I will include a bit of background once I receive the campaign info on Gods and choose one for myself... I have sent you the message with my email to receive said info....

Alright, everybody! All of you should have received an e-mail from me, so let's get those backgrounds down within the next day or two, if possible. If everyone does this, I may just close up recruitment early and go with the 6 we have. I'll keep the top post updated as it comes.

Cheers!
-DF

industrygothica

Adventurer
[sblock=A warrior is chosen]From halls carved deep into the Bloodshield Mountains, the hammer-on-stone rhythm echoed through the many chambers that twisted and wove their way through the dwarven complex of Clan Nogginsplitter. Baern himself wasn't a Nogginsplitter proper, but a Stoneheart, and his ancestors had stood on the right hand of Nogginsplitters for as long as any dwarf could remember.

Baern found himself alone, as he often did, as he worked his craft inside the mountain, and the laborious music danced in his head as he worked on a particularly stubborn piece of rock. Sweat ran through his intricately woven beard as he swung his hammer to the melody, each blow met with a guttural growl. Finally, at the height of his crescendo, Baern swung his hammer one final time and broke the large rock free from the wall. It landed on the dusty ground in pieces, and one large chunk in particular grabbed his attention. It was a piece about ten inches long, and embedded in it was a metallic rod of some sort. Baern picked it up and examined it carefully, turning the piece over and over in his thick hands. Finally, he reached to pull the thing free, and his world changed forever.

Baern never spoke of the visions when he awoke nearly a fortnight later in the care of the clan's priests. His clansmen had found him alone and unconscious, clutching the strange rod emblazoned with an ancient symbol of Blackmoor. The priests begged him to rest, but the stubborn dwarf bullied his way out of the bed anyway, and showed no obvious signs of ill effect. He snatched up the ancient rod laying on a bedside table and bulldozed his way out of the priests' chambers.

"What're ye doin' boy?" a voice screamed at Baern Stoneheart as he headed out into the outer chambers of the complex with a pack strapped to his back.

Baern didn't look back, but his words echoed off the hallowed halls and will never be forgotten. "The will of Blackmoor."

Arriving in Black Lake Proper weeks later with blood on his hammer wasn't his best idea. Answering the question of why it was there with "a'cause I ain't washed it yet," was even worse.
[/sblock]

[sblock=A bit of background]Every dwarf I've ever played (both of them) have been a Nogginsplitter. I've grown to love the clan so much, I just can't get away from them when I make a dwarf. It doesn't matter that they're all from different worlds, there are enough Nogginsplitters to go around! ;)[/sblock]

It's a bit more than a paragraph, but...

-IG

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Day late and always a dollar short, I read this thread last night and started working on a character today so I would like to submit myself as an Alternate if the need arises. I am very new to 4e (never played) but not to D&D (let's see when was 1984, well let's say I've been playing a long time :p )

Have a great game everyone,

HM

To Rathan and IG, your backgrounds are terrific. There's great storytelling potential in both of them.

Interesting sidenote to IG:
I've already created a few NPCs in previous campaigns that are dwarves named Stoneheart.

The Stonehearts actually are a clan that's played an important role in Amoratran history. The first dwarf to bring his family to integrate into Black Lake Proper, nearly 100 years ago, was a dwarven alemaster named Ergot Stoneheart. The most popular spot in town is a bar called The Fancy Drake, founded by the Stoneheart family, and still run by his descendant, Shale Stoneheart.

So if you don't mind, perhaps this splinter of the family that settled in Black Lake is one that your family has heard of, but refused to join.

To HolyMan, please feel free to submit a character sheet. If you do so, please also direct-message me your e-mail address so that you can have the campaign setting information, so that you can hammer out a background. If you do so, I'll lock you in as first alternate. Sound good?

Remove ads