Recruitment for Tal'Dorei 5e PBP

TheWillofD

Villager
This is a campaign using the world of Critical Role Exandria, mainly taking place on the lands of Tal'Dorei. Whether you are familiar with the sessions play or have seen the animated show or maybe not familiar at all with Tal'Dorei, this campaign is about heroes in a world that deeply needs them. The campaign takes place more than twenty years after Vox Machina saved the world from the Chroma Conclave, a group of dragons that terrorized the world. The surviving members of Vox Machina have now retired, but the world needs heroes more than ever before.

From humble beginnings, your character's journey begins in Stilben, the largest port on the Lucidian Coast and the main point of international trade with Wildemount. A man named Brod assembled your party to help him find a missing cargo, and you will be rewarded generously.

I ideally want 4 players/characters for this campaign.

Character Creation Details:

-Start at level 1
-We use 27 point buys for ability scores
-You can customize your origins as per Tasha rules
-You can use official 5E published content, mostly stuff you can find on DND 5e frontpage (don't use the homebrew content)
-The additional Third Party options that can be used come from Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting Reborn
-The game has a heroic bent, so evil characters won't be allowed.
-As usual, you can choose either the random starting gold or standard equipment + starting gold.

Just an easy start: If you are not maybe too familiar with the setting but have Explorer's guide to Wildemount, your character could be from Wildemount, as Stilben is the main port trading with Wildemount, so an easy way to bring someone new to Tal'Dorei.

And here's my character:
Name: Niklos of Lyra
Race: Stout Halfling
Background: Outlander
Class: Cleric (Life Domain)
-level 1

Str: 8 -1
Dex: 16 +3
Con: 14 +2
Int: 10 +0
Wis: 15 +2
Cha: 12 +1

Speed 25 ft
HP: 12
Initiative: +3

Saving Throws:
Str -1
Dex +3
Con +2
Int +0
Wis +4
Cha +3

Armor Class: 14

Weapon Attacks:
Mace: +1, 1d6 Bludgeoning damage
Crossbow, Light, +5 1d8+3 Piercing damage (Ammunition (80/320), Loading, Two-handed)

Spell Attacks:
Sacred Flame: Save vs CON (DC 12) or take 1d8 Radiant damage (Range: 60 ft)
Word of Radiance: Save vs DEX (DC 12) or take 1d6 Radiant damage (Area: 5 ft radius around caster)

Proficiency bonus +2

Proficiencies:
Armor: All armor, shields
Weapons: Simple weapons
Tools: Woodcarver's tools
Languages: Common, Halfling, Gnomish

Skills:
Acrobatics +3
Animal Handling +2
Arcana +0
Athletics +1
Deception +1
History +0
Insight +2
Investigation +0
Medicine +2
Nature +0
Perception +2
Performance +1
Persuasion +3
Religion +2
Sleight of Hand +3
Stealth +3
Survival +4
Spellcasting:
Spellcasting Ability: Wisdom
Ritual Casting: Prepared Spells
Spellcasting Focus: Holy Symbol
Spell save DC: 8 + Proficiency Bonus (2) + Wisdom Modifier (2) = 12
Spell attack bonus: Proficiency Bonus (2) + Wisdom Modifier (2) = +4

Cantrips:
Sacred Flame:
Flame-like radiance descends on a creature that you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d8 radiant damage. The target gains no benefit from cover for this saving throw.
Spare the Dying: You touch a living creature that has 0 hit points. The creature becomes stable. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
Word of Radiance: You utter a divine word, and burning radiance erupts from you. Each creature of your choice that you can see within range must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or take 1d6 radiant damage.

Prepared Spells:
Level 1 (3 slots):
Bless d: You bless up to three creatures of your choice within range. Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the attack roll or saving throw.
Cure Wounds d: A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
Purify Food and Drink: All nonmagical food and drink within a 5-foot-radius sphere centered on a point of your choice within range is purified and rendered free of poison and disease.
Sanctuary: You ward a creature within range against attack. Until the spell ends, any creature who targets the warded creature with an attack or a harmful spell must first make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature must choose a new target or lose the attack or spell. This spell doesn't protect the warded creature from area effects, such as the explosion of a fireball.
If the warded creature makes an attack or casts a spell that affects an enemy creature, this spell ends.
Shield of Faith: A shimmering field appears and surrounds a creature of your choice within range, granting it a +2 bonus to AC for the duration.

Racial traits:
Lucky:
Reroll 1s on Attacks, Checks and Saves.
Brave: You have advantage on saving throws against being frightened.
Halfling Nimbleness: You can move through the space of any creature that is of a size larger than yours.
Stout Resilience: You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage.

Background traits:
Wanderer:
You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth.

Class traits:
Spellcasting
Disciple of Life:
Whenever you use a spell of 1st level or higher to restore hit points to a creature, the creature regains additional hit points equal to 2 + the spell’s level.

Equipment: total weight 58 lbs total cost 2gp 1cp

Armor total weight 10 lbs total cost 0gp
Leather Armor AC 11+Dex wgt 10 lbs (class starting gear)

Weapons total wgt 10.5 lbs Total Cost 0gp
Mace wgt 4 lbs (class starting gear)
Light crossbow wgt 5 lbs (class starting gear)
-bolts (20) wgt 1.5 lbs (class starting gear)

Gear total weight 37.5 lbs Total cost 2gp 1cp
Holy Symbol (amulet) wgt 1 lb (class starting gear)
Staff wgt 4 lb (background starting gear)
Quiver wgt 1 lb cost 1gp
Clothes, traveller's wgt 4 lb (class starting gear)
Belt Pouch wgt 1 lb (class starting gear)
Trophy: Wolfskin cloak (from animal I killed) wgt 4 lb (class starting gear)
Woodcarver's tools wgt 5 cost 1gp
Sack wgt .5 lb cost 1cp
-Small toys wgt 3 lb cost 0gp
Explorer's Pack wgt 14 lb (class starting gear)
-Backpack wgt 5 lb
-Mess kit wgt 1 lb
-Tinderbox wgt 1 lb
-Torches (2) wgt 2 lb
-Rations (2 days) wgt 4 lb
-Waterskin wgt 1 lb

Trinket:
A pipe that blows bubbles

Money:
7gp, 9sp, 9cp

Alignment: Lawful Good

Personality:
I spend much of my spare time and money on small presents, which I give to the children I meet.
I love to laugh, long and loud and clear.
Ideal:
Greater Good. It is each person’s responsibility to make the most happiness for everyone. (Good)
Bond:
An injury to a child is an injury to me.
Flaw:
I am too enamored of ale, wine, eggnog, milk, cookies, and other intoxicants.

Background:
Niklos hails from Balenpost, in the far North...
He was raised near a clan of rock gnomes. It was from them that he learned about making toys. He always got on well with everyone in the community, but he especially loved the children.
When he was about 33, he woke to Pelor's call, beckoning him south where there were children in need of protection.

Description:
About 3 feet tall, weighing 45 pounds.
Ruddy skin, blue eyes, and long, white, curly hair
Jolly and plump.
Dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot.
He has a broad face, and a round little belly, which shakes when he laughs like a bowl full of jelly.
The stump of a pipe he holds tight in his teeth, and bubbles from it encircle his head like a wreath.

Last edited:

TheWillofD

Villager
And here's my character:
Name: Niklos of Lyra
Race: Stout Halfling
Background: Outlander
Class: Cleric (Life Domain)
-level 1

Str: 8 -1
Dex: 16 +3
Con: 14 +2
Int: 10 +0
Wis: 15 +2
Cha: 12 +1

Speed 25 ft
HP: 12
Initiative: +3

Saving Throws:
Str -1
Dex +3
Con +2
Int +0
Wis +4
Cha +3

Armor Class: 14

Weapon Attacks:
Mace: +1, 1d6 Bludgeoning damage
Crossbow, Light, +5 1d8+3 Piercing damage (Ammunition (80/320), Loading, Two-handed)

Spell Attacks:
Sacred Flame: Save vs CON (DC 12) or take 1d8 Radiant damage (Range: 60 ft)
Word of Radiance: Save vs DEX (DC 12) or take 1d6 Radiant damage (Area: 5 ft radius around caster)

Proficiency bonus +2

Proficiencies:
Armor: All armor, shields
Weapons: Simple weapons
Tools: Woodcarver's tools
Languages: Common, Halfling, Gnomish

Skills:
Acrobatics +3
Animal Handling +2
Arcana +0
Athletics +1
Deception +1
History +0
Insight +2
Investigation +0
Medicine +2
Nature +0
Perception +2
Performance +1
Persuasion +3
Religion +2
Sleight of Hand +3
Stealth +3
Survival +4
Spellcasting:
Spellcasting Ability: Wisdom
Ritual Casting: Prepared Spells
Spellcasting Focus: Holy Symbol
Spell save DC: 8 + Proficiency Bonus (2) + Wisdom Modifier (2) = 12
Spell attack bonus: Proficiency Bonus (2) + Wisdom Modifier (2) = +4

Cantrips:
Sacred Flame
Spare the Dying
Word of Radiance

Prepared Spells:
Level 1 (3 slots):
Bless d
Cure Wounds d
Purify Food and Drink
Sanctuary
Shield of Faith

Racial traits:
Lucky
Brave
Halfling Nimbleness
Stout Resilience

Background traits:
Wanderer

Class traits:
Spellcasting
Disciple of Life

Equipment: total weight 58 lbs total cost 2gp 1cp

Armor total weight 10 lbs total cost 0gp
Leather Armor AC 11+Dex wgt 10 lbs (class starting gear)

Weapons total wgt 10.5 lbs Total Cost 0gp
Mace wgt 4 lbs (class starting gear)
Light crossbow wgt 5 lbs (class starting gear)
-bolts (20) wgt 1.5 lbs (class starting gear)

Gear total weight 37.5 lbs Total cost 2gp 1cp
Holy Symbol (amulet) wgt 1 lb (class starting gear)
Staff wgt 4 lb (background starting gear)
Quiver wgt 1 lb cost 1gp
Clothes, traveller's wgt 4 lb (class starting gear)
Belt Pouch wgt 1 lb (class starting gear)
Trophy: Wolfskin cloak (from animal I killed) wgt 4 lb (class starting gear)
Woodcarver's tools wgt 5 cost 1gp
Sack wgt .5 lb cost 1cp
-Small toys wgt 3 lb cost 0gp
Explorer's Pack wgt 14 lb (class starting gear)
-Backpack wgt 5 lb
-Mess kit wgt 1 lb
-Tinderbox wgt 1 lb
-Torches (2) wgt 2 lb
-Rations (2 days) wgt 4 lb
-Waterskin wgt 1 lb

Trinket:
A pipe that blows bubbles

Money:
7gp, 9sp, 9cp

Alignment: Lawful Good

Personality:
I spend much of my spare time and money on small presents, which I give to the children I meet.
I love to laugh, long and loud and clear.
Ideal:
Greater Good. It is each person’s responsibility to make the most happiness for everyone. (Good)
Bond:
An injury to a child is an injury to me.
Flaw:
I am too enamored of ale, wine, eggnog, milk, cookies, and other intoxicants.

Background:
Niklos hails from Balenpost, in the far North...
He was raised near a clan of rock gnomes. It was from them that he learned about making toys. He always got on well with everyone in the community, but he especially loved the children.
When he was about 33, he woke to Pelor's call, beckoning him south where there were children in need of protection.

Description:
About 3 feet tall, weighing 45 pounds.
Ruddy skin, blue eyes, and long, white, curly hair
Jolly and plump.
Dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot.
He has a broad face, and a round little belly, which shakes when he laughs like a bowl full of jelly.
The stump of a pipe he holds tight in his teeth, and bubbles from it encircle his head like a wreath.

Nice, a cleric of the Dawnfather from Wildemounte, alright.

I would love to give it a shot.

Here's a Human Rogue who works as an Inspector for (whoever you'd like). He's probably a little on the take, as long as it doesn't interfere too much with his job.

Inspector Severin

An inspector, Stilben if your guy want to be a little official, the Waterwatch of Stilben is pretty much the law down there, there are some issues with corruption.

TheWillofD

Villager
Of course, if you have questions about the setting or new to it, feel free to ask me. If you have a concept in mind, it does help as well.

So worse comes to worst, how do you both feel about Sidekicks? (as described in Tasha)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I am fine with running sidekicks, I have quite a bit of experience with them. I admit to knowing next to nothing about the setting (I've only ever seen the Critical Role cartoon - I've never found the time to watch the regular show). My plan was to just take your word for anything and roll with it, but I may do some research as well.

Let me see if I can drum up another player: Hey, @TaranTheWanderer - you have interest in joining this game?

TheWillofD

Villager
The cartoon is good enough in general, the campaign takes place 24 years after Vox Machina adventures (so the surviving members are mostly retired) and slightly before the end of campaign 2 (Mighty Nein).

I forgot to mention that Level 1 to Level 2 will just be the first adventure, as while fun for a little bit, I don't think it is worth more than one to get started as adventurers.

I'm also not too familiar with the setting, although I do have a copy of the Explorer's Guide.
I don't know much about sidekicks, either. (Elves might be appropriate for Niklos, lol)

I am fine with running sidekicks, I have quite a bit of experience with them. I admit to knowing next to nothing about the setting (I've only ever seen the Critical Role cartoon - I've never found the time to watch the regular show). My plan was to just take your word for anything and roll with it, but I may do some research as well.

Let me see if I can drum up another player: Hey, @TaranTheWanderer - you have interest in joining this game?
Hi, I didn’t see this recruitment thread. I just joined another game recently so the amount of pbps I’m in are piling up. That said, posting speeds wax and wane so I should be able to keep up. Besides, it’s hard to turn down a personal invitation.

It looks like you could use a fighter so I’ll probably fill that niche. That said, I’ve never played a monk. Would our group be too squishy if I chose that?

I’m fairly busy today but I can probably have a character posted by tomorrow.

Remove ads