• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Recruiting] [GURPS 4e] [TL9] Another World Within

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Man this site has changed...

Total (and I mean TOTAL) GURPS noob. So I will make mistakes and I expect to be treated harshly lol. I'm thinking about making my character a navigator aboard the Aurora. Planning on a low str, mod dx, good int character.

[sblock=Metagame Spoiler]

My character is going to be a spy for Exxon. He won't overtly act against any characters (mostly because I HATE being the a-hole in a party). Just some FYI for everyone [/sblock]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
This is a sheet in progress. I'm posting it so I can work on it remotely, without needing to constantly email it to myself. Feel free to make comments or ask questions, but bear in mind that it's not even a first draft yet. It's a scratch pad. :)

[sblock]Attributes 110
ST 11 10
DX 12 40
IQ 12 40
HT 12 20

Advantages 10
Attractive, 5
Rank 1, 5

Disads -50
Bad Temper -10
Sense of Duty (Squad) -5
Duty (Employer) -10
Mild flashbacks -5
Phobia?

Quirks -5

Skills 35
Karate 12, 4
Knife 12, 1
Beam Weapon (Pistol) 13, 2
Guns (Pistol) 12, 1
Guns (SMG) 14, 4
Guns (Shotgun) 13, 2
Guns (Rifle) 12, 1
Throwing 1

Electronic Operations (Sensors) 12, 2
Electronic Operations (Security) 12, 2
Electronic Operations (Communications) 13, 4
Computer Operations 12, 1

Running 11, 1
Climbing 11, 1
Stealth 12, 2
Swimming 12, 1
Survival 12, 2
Freefall 11, 1
Vacc Suit 12, 2

Equipment
Cash: 7,769

Electronic lockpick, 1500, .2lbs
IFF Comm, 500
Computer (run 2 prog of own comp, 20 of comp-1)
- Tiny, Complexity 3, 50
Software
- Targeting +1, Complexity 3, 500
Inertial Compass, 120
Nightvision Contacts (Night vision 7), 200
Wristwatch Rad Counter, 100
Tiny laser communicator, 100 (5 mile)
10 A cells, 20, -
10 B cells, 30, .5lbs

Electrolaser pistol w/lethal setting, 1800, 2.2lbs (c cell)
- 3 C Cells, 30, 1.5lbs
ETC PDW w/underbarrel shotgun & IFFInt, 2800, 6lbs
- 6 EMP Shotgun shells, 110, .5lbs
- 5 jammer shotgun shells, 45, .5lbs
- 10 APHC shotgun shells, 36, 1lb
- 50 shotgun slugs, 90, 4lbs
- 5 spare SMG clips, 100, 5lbs

Reflex Vacsuit, 12050 (30lbs)
- Sleeve Display
Visored Space Helmet, 2050 (4lbs)
- HUD
14100, 34lbs

Reflex Tacsuit w/Chameleon, 7000, 19lbs
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Onlythestrong: Hey, I remember you! :p
As far as being a noob goes, you're in good company, I played an old edition of gurps I think once or twice back in my teen years, I can't recall anything about it, so I've basically just learnt everything I know about the game since Sunday. Just head to the gurps lite rules and read the book, it's only 32 pages, and it should be enough to get you going.

Now, a concern about my character - I'm having trouble NOT giving him a weapon, b/c.. well, an RPG,character w/o a weapon seems wrong, but I'm also having trouble justifying why the scientist/engineer is carrying a weapon on his ship. Also his training is currently with Bows, but I really don't see him having a Bow on ship...
I suppose I could put him on the takeover team and change bow to gun, but I was kinda hoping to make him part of the Harvest crew b/c I get the feeling most other players will be part of the takeover, and the bow is just different and interesting..
Thoughts?

Jemal

Adventurer
A few questions about your those skills - I see you have electronics operation several times, there's nothing in LITE about that..
also doesn't have running or freefall skills. I can guess, but what are the specifics?

Shayuri

First Post
The Electronic Operations skill is actually a series of specialized skills. Each type of electronic device has it's own skill. Operating sensors is not the same as operating medical devices is not the same as operating communication devices...though the various types of skill can default off of each other at a smaller penalty than defaulting from the base attribute.

There are a lot of skills in GURPS that work that way.

Running just makes you move faster, and you can roll against it to keep a physically challenging pace for longer. Freefall is the skill of moving (and keeping your lunch) in microgravity and zero-gee. In these conditions, the Freefall skill becomes your effective DX for most physical abilities (basically you use Freefall skill or DX, whichever is lower, as a base stat for your physical skills).

As for weapons...if you see yourself as a hunter, you could take Guns (Rifle). It's a much easier skill to learn, costing less points to buy up to DX or higher. Crossbow is also fairly easy compared to Bow. If you're dedicated to bows and arrows you could just be one of those guys who likes archery...perhaps sport archery, since it's pretty rare to use the skill in any practical way these days. :) You might have a nice modern collapsible composite bow there on the ship, since they weigh very little and take up hardly any space.

Maybe when you're bored, you set up a target down towards the bulkhead leading to the engine access compartments on the far end of the ship's 'neck,' and shoot down the long passageway there. They'd never let you do that with a gun (shome thingsh in there don't react well to bulletsh), but arrows are harmless.

Jemal

Adventurer
Would you mind looking through my skill list and telling me what skills I have that need to have 'sub-skills' selected? (And maybe what those sub skills are?) The only ones I know of so far are Influence, Weapons, and Natural Sciences.

As far as weaponry - I would really like to do the bow, but I cringe so hard looking at it.. practically everything about guns is better (of course, that's why we use them in RL!)... Easier to train, more accurate, better range, more damage, better rate of fire.. They really did a good job making bows unappealing.

Granted I can only see the basic TL 0 long bow/short bow in the Lite rules (For some reason they don't have TL9+ bows in Ultratech. ;) ). Is there a good composite bow in the reg rules that would make me feel less like I'm shooting myself in the foot for fluff?

Shayuri

First Post
Well...you ARE. Even good composite bows...which are in High Tech I believe...are inferior to firearms. The only redeeming factors to bows is that they do impaling damage (which ballistic armor doesn't block as well, and has a very good post-penetration damage modifier), fire silently, and the skills to make one are fairly easy to learn and can be used in the absence of high technology.

But if you want a way to make a bow and arrow an 'equal' to a gun, you won't find one. They're just not.

As you said, this is why folks don't use bows these days except for sport, and if they have no choice.

I'll give you some info about composite bows when I've had a chance to look them up later.

I'll take a look at your skills.

IQ skills: Computer Operation 13/E(1), Acting 12/A(1), Electronics Repair 12/A(1), Fast-Talk 12/A(1), Mechanic 13/A(2p), Survival 12/A(1), Computer Programing 12/H(2p), Engineer 11/H(1), Diplomacy 11/H(1), Mathematics 12/H(2), Naturalist 12/H(2), Tactics 12/H(2),
Natural Sciences 11/H(1) *Specifics TBD*
Dx Skills: Brawling 12/E(2), Missile weapon: Bow 11/A(2), Acrobatics 9/H(1)
HT Skills: Carousing 11/E(1), Sex Appeal 11/A(2)

Okay! First, I don't think you need Electronics Repair, Mechanic, AND Engineer. I will need to look it up to be sure, but I think Engineer can do repairs as is. The other two skills are easier, to represent someone who isn't able to design and build new machines, but can maintain and repair them just fine.

But I don't see any skills here that have mandatory specialties.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads