Recruiting - World Building game

Asmor

First Post
Both of them apparently were logged in today, so I suspect they either don't know about the game or do not wish to participate.

mfrench

First Post
Awakened posted in the other thread earlier today.

As per Vetoes: I would suggest that people can spend a point to offer a veto, if the vetoes out number the supporting votes, it doesn't become Fact. I would also suggest that someone could offer the reason for a veto, thus giving the Pitcher a chance to amend their Pitch, if they so chose.

Asmor

First Post
I veto mfrench's idea. :) j/k

Actually, that does give me a fun idea for a meta-game... A world-design-game-design-game, if you will.

Would play like Mao

I like the idea that one person can veto an idea. After all, this is something we're all supposed to be happy with, so if something annoys someone enough they should be able to get rid of it.

However, I also think vetoing shouldn't be free. Here's how I'd do it: A veto costs 2 points. The person who pitched the idea loses his 2 points. Anyone who supported the idea gets their points back. This also applies to "silent" vetoes; the pitcher still loses the points, but if one person supported it he should get his points back.

Net result is that each pitch takes 4 points out of the system regardless of whether it's vetoed or not (except in the case that it's killed by a silent veto), which makes the duration of the game a bit more predictable.

Mavnn

First Post
On the timing side of things, can I suggest that weekends don't count towards the various limits? There seem to be a lot of people who can't post normally at weekends (myself included).

rgordona

Explorer
Asmor said:
Actually, that does give me a fun idea for a meta-game... A world-design-game-design-game, if you will.

Would play like Mao

I think it would be significantly closer to Nomic

Mao being rule discovery and Nomic being rule evolution.

Mavnn

First Post
Voda Vosa said:
I super support this pitch

46 points.

Ryan Stoughton said:
When someone else makes a Fact that plays into conflict in the world and involves one of your old facts, you can, at your option, award 1 point (this is new money, not from your pool).

Just 'cause I'm unclear on the rules (and I wouldn't mind the extra point if Voda Vosa wants to give it!):

Could Voda Vosa award me a point for this pitch, as it directly builds on Pitch 1 (which he made)? I'm not clear on what Ryan means by "plays into conflict in the world." I'm also not clear about whether Voda Vosa would need to wait for the pitch to become fact before deciding wether to give the point of not.

In a way, it would be nice if you could rewards pitches that build on your facts even if they don't make it: a kind of "thank you for using my stuff, I thought the idea was cool even if it did get veto'd" kind of thing.

Mavnn

First Post
Asmor said:
I like the idea that one person can veto an idea. After all, this is something we're all supposed to be happy with, so if something annoys someone enough they should be able to get rid of it.

However, I also think vetoing shouldn't be free. Here's how I'd do it: A veto costs 2 points. The person who pitched the idea loses his 2 points. Anyone who supported the idea gets their points back. This also applies to "silent" vetoes; the pitcher still loses the points, but if one person supported it he should get his points back.

Net result is that each pitch takes 4 points out of the system regardless of whether it's vetoed or not (except in the case that it's killed by a silent veto), which makes the duration of the game a bit more predictable.

I definately think that any one person should be able to veto (there are only a fairly small number in each group, after all). I'm happy with the above, or just leaving vetos free: I don't think we're going to see very many of them - I suspect silent vetos will be much more common than 'active' ones.

Sorry for the double post...

mfrench

First Post
Alright, I'm in agreement. Here's a few rules addenda for the first group, tell me how you feel about them.

1) A player can veto a Pitch for 2 points. A Pitch that doesn't receive 2 points of support in the 24 hour window is silently vetoed. Whoever spent points of support in a vetoed Pitch gets those points back.

2) Weekends don't count against a player's time limit.

3) Only one player may award a point for tying your Pitch into one of his previous Facts. (This makes sure that Pitches don't generate points, and thus prolong the game forever).

Also, I would say that Voda Vosa could award Mavnn a point for that Pitch building into his; if he's interested he should announce this in the in game thread.

kinem

Adventurer
There doesn't seem to be enough benefit to supporting a Pitch you approve of. Sure, you risk it getting a silent veto if no one responds, but why not hoard your point until late in the day, and let other less miserly people jump in and spend their points for you?

Maybe you should have to have supported a Pitch in order to get a point for tying in to it.

Asmor

First Post
This is a game, but it is not a competition. You're all supposed to be working together to cooperatively form a great setting you can all be proud of. I don't think there's any need to worry about such strategizing.

Remove ads