• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Recruitment/Discussion] Serial Superheroes Game

Guilt Puppy

First Post
So my roommate's been "researching" the X-Men lately, and it's gotten me really into the whole idea of Superhero comics... And I think to myself, "God, a campaign like that would rock!"

I've put some thought into how to make a system work with that, and here's what I've come up with:

d20 modern, naturally, for the core rules. Why not d20 supers? Don't have the system, and I want to be more rules-light about the superpowers... d20 modern is more for the "normal humans" than the main characters, who will be fueled by Jeph's-Matrix-game-esque embellishments -- see below.

Players will be asked to submit a ten-level progression of their superpowers, which can be whatever-the-hell they come up with. It should be relatively well-balanced with the existing d20 mod classes. Characters can multi-class from their own superpower class to other d20 mod classes.

A good way to achieve balance is to start with one of the Hero archetypes, dump the bonus feat/talents, and replace these with superpowers... Keep in mind the action points system as a way to power this, albeit an expensive one.

But on to the most vital element of the system: Embellishments! I've been really digging on Jeph's Matrix game, and while I appreciate the solidity of a system like d20 more, it's something I really want to appropriate.

Basic embellishment system would work as such: Whenever you make an action that would require a d20 roll, you can (and should :) ) instead choose to embellish it -- that is, describe your actions for the round in detailed style, noting nuances, et cetera. Your embellishment will be rated from 0 to 10, and this will be added to a d10 roll. Basically, you describe your action of the course of the round, and each "cool thing" increases your embellishment score for that round.

There also comes in the issue of overkill: If you embellish too much, try to go beyond your character's abilities, (basically, if you go past ten), it starts counting back down until it reaches zero, and then starts counting back up. (Note that your embellishments for a full round are applied to all dice rolls made within that round, and likewise the count takes the full-round into account, not each action... This is to encourage fluidity within your action, rather than little cinematic blips)

Alternatively, you can spend one action point to do a full embellishment: This replaces the dice roll(s) entirely, and your score will be counted up to 20 (then back down for overkill), and it will be treated exactly as if you had rolled that number (including criticals.) Yes, so if you manage to embellish a 20 on a full attack, that's all critical hits.

Oh, and for the record: Embellishment scores are not subject to argument, just cause if they were, it would be power-game paradise. The point is to describe something really cool, not just to throw in enough commas to beat the enemy's AC. I will likely grade some really cool actions as +2 embellishment, and skip over some really boring details that seem like they were just thrown in there. For the most part, you should be able to estimate your score (if you really want to), but for the most part, the rules are just there to give me a way of resolving tasks.

Ideally, I want players who'll throw a character sheet at me, and not want to look at it again until they have to level up.

---

So that's the basic rule system... As far as game setting and content, definitely modern-day, probably no weird D&D races or anything (unless there's something who really really wants to play a flying gnoll)...

We'll probably be starting at level 2, effectively... I don't want characters just yet, but I'm thinking somewhere around 48 point-buy (very super-hero appropriate)... Keep in mind that if your power is just "super strength" or something, that can be increased as part of your class (+2/level enhancement to Strength sounds about right, considering what we're talking about.) However, you'll be asked to submit the superpower class progression before the character itself...

As far as game pattern goes, I've got in mind brief storylines rather than full adventures, for the most part. You should progress in power relatively quickly: Levelling up will occur between adventures, during down-time.

With this in mind, I should also mention that I really like the idea of a whole "superhero universe"... Where characters overlap from one comic series to another, and so forth. Because of this, I think I'd like to try switching around games quite a bit: After a storyline is completed with one set of characters, another game is played with another set (although there may be some player overlap), and as more characters get established you can sort of mix and match for each little plot. Further, if anyone else wants to get in on DMing that sort of thing, I'd be all for it.

I think that covers most of the bases. If you want a taste of the starting plot, it's simple at this point: You're a group of people with extraordinary powers who have banded together into a group. You fight crime.

Last edited:

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Just a friendly bump, and some more info:

- First, I'm not entirely intent on DMing the game, so if there's someone who'd prefer to, I'm all ears.

- Second, despite the use of d20 modern (which is rules-heavy), I want to run the game as rules-light as possible -- that is, improvising task resolutions, and fudging/ignoring results if you guys do cool stuff. Basically, be as free-form as possible, focused on letting the characters be as cool as possible, rather than focusing on the rules. The rules are just there for task resolution, to keep the game from becoming too subjectively based. You definitely will not need to own the rulebook.

- Third, thinking 4th level rather than second now... Just so you can have decent powers that are still in proportion to the powers of a normal 4th level character. That, and you get some more hit points to work with :) Also, when we get around to working out some basics for the classes, feel free to include "unveiled" powers -- stuff that they don't discover they even possess the potential for until later levels.

- Fourth, I'm looking for 3-6 players. Don't think I can keep track of more than six.

- Fifth, I had originally planned to have an NPC bring you together, but I don't like overusing powerful NPCs (especially if they're recurring), so I would need someone to take up the leadership role. It goes to the first person who wants it, basically, with one contingent: They must provide a reason for going out and finding allies to band together.

- Sixth, since I'm not 100 percent dead set on the rules yet, all I'm asking for is a character concept: What their special power is, where it came from, where they came from. Mystery is fine, so long as you state it.

Hoping somebody's interested :) If you have any suggestions or preferences that would change this, let me know...

Festy_Dog

First Post
I must admit, all the X-men and Matrix stuff flyin' round did get me thinkin' 'bout something like this. The kind of character I was thinking of was someone with electricity based powers but though I have plenty of ideas I couldn't really specify.

psychognome

First Post
I'd be interested. I don't own the d20 Modern manual, but I can probably make use of the System Reference Document.

As for an idea for a character, I dunno... maybe a straightforward brick in the style of Hulk and The Thing. "Hulk smash!" and "It's clobberin' time!" must be my favourite cartoon quotes. ;)

I can't seem to be able to decide on my character, so I'll go with an interesting idea: (inspired by Godlike) a kid, whose only super power is his invisible friend, a dragon that only he can see. His parents were abusive and he had a habit of keeping to himself, and during this time he made up his invisible friend. After some time the dragon actually manifested itself, and angered by his friend's abusive parents burnt down the house, killing the parents but saving the kid from the smoldering ruins.

The kid was then put into a nursing home, where he spent most of his time with his new friend, and learned how to control him better. Now, in his late adolescence, he is somewhat experienced in controlling his buddy.

So, how's that for an idea? :)

Last edited:

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Festy: Glad to see I'm not the only person on this kind of kick :) You're in if you want to be, just let me know once you have a better idea of your character's powers (they can be vague -- I don't need or particularly want characters who just have specific standard actions they can take, but there should be enough to understand what they are -- does he create electricity, control electricity, can he do both? Does anything block these powers? That sort of thing...)

psycho: I like the idea -- seems to fit the "guy who stays in the back until he's really needed, then unleashes his really cool power" role, if I understand you right. One thing I'm not clear on: Is the dragon "imaginary" (invisible, et cetera) most of the time, and then manifests at this character's command, or is it constantly real? Makes a big difference in trying to get the power level right...

Of course, if you have another idea, I'm welcome to that as well. Someone needs to take on the "Hulk smash!" role -- what would a group of superheroes be without that guy? :)

GWolf

First Post
Sounds, (pardon the pun) Super - cool.

I'd like my character to be An old man (like 80 + ) who has amazing senses(including like a danger sense), very fit (but still old looking) and a long life span. His main talents would be martial arts, and philosphy.

He would be like the old wise man.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
GWolf said:
I'd like my character to be An old man (like 80 + ) who has amazing senses(including like a danger sense), very fit (but still old looking) and a long life span. His main talents would be martial arts, and philosphy.

He would be like the old wise man.

That actually sounds very much like the NPC I was originally going to have assemble the group, actually... One of his schticks was being able to sense the power in others -- made him a good fit to seek out the other members. If you want to pick that up, go right ahead, but I don't want to interfere any with your character.

Also, if you'd like the leadership role, let me know. It's still up in the air.

GWolf

First Post
The leadership role...hm, no, I was thinking more of the silent type talks only once in awhile of danger or cryptic philosphies.

psychognome

First Post
Guilt Puppy said:
psycho: I like the idea -- seems to fit the "guy who stays in the back until he's really needed, then unleashes his really cool power" role, if I understand you right. One thing I'm not clear on: Is the dragon "imaginary" (invisible, et cetera) most of the time, and then manifests at this character's command, or is it constantly real? Makes a big difference in trying to get the power level right...
Well, as I've been playing some Godlike lately, I of course took the inspiration from there. In Godlike the Sidekick talent creates a buddy that is constantly invisible, but can still affect the world around it... of course I can see where that would lead to problems in game balance if used in D&D, so let's just say that the dragon is invisible and imaginary, and when needed turns into a real moving and (fire-) breathing dragon. ;)
Oh, I almost forgot... in Summer I'll have two whole weeks when I can't use a computer at all, and this will of course affect my posting dramatically. If that is a problem, I might have to bail out on your game. :( Oh, well.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
psychognome said:

Well, as I've been playing some Godlike lately, I of course took the inspiration from there. In Godlike the Sidekick talent creates a buddy that is constantly invisible, but can still affect the world around it... of course I can see where that would lead to problems in game balance if used in D&D, so let's just say that the dragon is invisible and imaginary, and when needed turns into a real moving and (fire-) breathing dragon. ;)

Either way works, really... If it's an invisible but constantly real ally, it'll just have to start out limited in its powers and level up along with you -- I'm not expecting you to be really equivalent to 4th level d20 characters, it's more a starting point for Hit Dice than anything else. The only concern is getting all the characters reasonably balanced with each other... Enough that one person isn't solving every problem, and everyone gets a chance to show off.

Which way would you prefer it? We can work with that.

Oh, I almost forgot... in Summer I'll have two whole weeks when I can't use a computer at all, and this will of course affect my posting dramatically. If that is a problem, I might have to bail out on your game. :( Oh, well.

That's no problem... Just let me know before you disappear, and how you want it handled. I can NPC you if need be, or your character can go off on his own if it's convenient (just give me some forewarning, and if you're going off on your own, build up to it, and let me know when you'll be back, so I can come up for a way for you to return... That sort of thing.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads