• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Refusing To Heal Party Members?

Zardnaar

Legend
S the title says. I am playing a LG human Paladin (because that is what I expect btw) and the other day I refused to heal a party member. Why? Well here is our current party lineup.

Lvl3
Human Paladin
Goliath Barbarian
Halfling Thief
Half Elf Sorcerer
Tiefling Wizard
Tiefling Warlock

Not a total lack of healing. My Paladins lay on hands ability (all 15 points of it) it the total healing available in the party. I also have the Inspiring Leader feat as well BTW.

I have always had the opinion (well since 3.0) that if you play a Barbarian you should really ask the party healer if its ok to play that class. A lot of players take healing for granted but barbarians require a lot of healing as a general rule and outside of life clerics at low levels healing in inefficient. There is the play how you want aspect of it but if you expect another person to devoted 100% of there resources to keeping your ass alive well that is kind of a big ask. Note everyone else is twinked out for fun stuff as the DM house ruled everyone gets a feat at level 1, variant humans get 2. No one else took a healer or even the healer feat. The Barbarian has the GWF feat, the spellcasters seem to have a lot of spell sniper going around, the thief has the lucky feat.

Now I do not refuse to heal them because I am being a asshat but it is more pragmatic. I give them 1hp for example to stop them bleeding out if reduced to 0hp. Its just that if if I go down no one else has any form of healing to bring me up to conscious again. I have a cure spell prepared as well but that is more of a to heal myself since i have a grand total of 3 spell slots and prefer to use them for other things (smite, bless, and shield of faith).

Now this is more of a situational thing- if I was playing a life cleric healing is not much of a problem for me.

Azurewraith

Explorer
Got to do what you got do do im afraid you can only heal X hp a day so you need to stagger it out you dont want some one to wade in to combat eat all 3 of your slots and all 15 LoH to then have some one contract a disease mid way through the day and then fight a deadly encounter some where when you cant heal. There are healing potions in the world after all.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
If you're going to build a party with no dedicated healer, then I don't think anyone is obligated to heal anyone else. My group won't build a party that doesn't have a healer. It does not happen. They won't even play without a healer because they know how it is going to go. It is exactly what is happening with your group. If someone gets dropped, the paladin can use his very limited spell slots or LOH to get them up or everyone can fight and see who is still standing at the end. It isn't a fun way to play. My group won't do it.

If a group decided to build the characters as your group has built them, I'd let the chips fall where they may. I'm pretty certain in our games a group constructed as your group would have multiple people down multiple times and wouldn't survive the long haul. You should straight up tell them if no one wants to make a healer, you're going to prioritize healing in a way that is most efficient for the group.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Ive just joined a game of Princes of the Apocalpyse . We are a 4 player table and have a Fighter, A Paladin , a Warlock (me) and a Wizard. So we cover Arcane, but have no Rogue or Cleric. We have to rely on the Paladins spells and Healers kits.

I dont agree that every group needs a Healer. It makes things a lot tougher if you dont and more or less dictates there will be a lot more retreating and regrouping but its as possible to succeed as with a dedicated Healer. (Ill also point out none of us at the table really know each other.. we are new to each and other and none of us knew what everyone else was going to play)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
S the title says. I am playing a LG human Paladin (because that is what I expect btw) and the other day I refused to heal a party member. Why? Well here is our current party lineup.

Lvl3
Human Paladin
Goliath Barbarian
Halfling Thief
Half Elf Sorcerer
Tiefling Wizard
Tiefling Warlock

Not a total lack of healing. My Paladins lay on hands ability (all 15 points of it) it the total healing available in the party. I also have the Inspiring Leader feat as well BTW.
If I was playing in this game and the only healing was a Paladin I'd have the party hie straight to the nearest temple and find an NPC adventuring Cleric to join the party. Failing that, have the party hire a hench healer.

Lan-"then again, I'd also be wondering how a Paladin can run with two part-demons, but whatever"-efan

Zardnaar

Legend
If I was playing in this game and the only healing was a Paladin I'd have the party hie straight to the nearest temple and find an NPC adventuring Cleric to join the party. Failing that, have the party hire a hench healer.

Lan-"then again, I'd also be wondering how a Paladin can run with two part-demons, but whatever"-efan

I was kind of figuring that but everyone just made PHB PCs. One of them has a decent deception roll and has convinced me of her good intentions though (My Paladin may be a little naive).

I generally do not allow tieflings in my games but I am not the DM here.

fba827

Adventurer
The way you wrote it here you seem (to me) a little bitter and resentful over the party expecting you to be the healing resource. And that's fine to be bitter and resentful, just calling attention to it since that frames the rest of my response .....

Don't look at the barbarian and assume that he has the same viewpoint as you that he should have asked the 'healers' before play. That's assuming his/her experiences are the same as yours and it's also assuming that you are 'the healer' - the very title you are trying to disassociate yourself from having

Having said all that, yes, I find players tend to take healing for granite as well, so you will seem like an .....(insert family friendly derogatory term of choice) ..... If all you do at the table simply simply say ' no not going to do that' at every other decision point where you get subtle and not-so-subtle hints for healing.

I would flat out explain out of character before the session your reasoning about your healing not being very efficient and wanting to save it. 15 hp is after all only buying one person about 1-3 hits depending on how big the enemy is, versus using it to revive someone who is dying where potentially negating more danger of character death.

And then offer in character recommendations such as trying to get the party to buy healing kits etc

Depending on the nature of your relationship with the players, you could also play up the rp reasoning for not healing ... You are an arm for divine smiting, that is your first duty, then triage after the enemy has fallen. And also potentially play up the 'I'm not going to prioritize the healing gifts if my God to those who leading such heretic and savage lifestyles, I'll help you yes since you are helping me, but first priority is the smithing of evil' - but again before pushing that rp aspect make sure you've explained out of character, and also figure out if the relationship you have with the players is good enough to handle that or if people would take it personally.

Finally, if people keep referring to you as 'the healer' simply remind them that it's not the primary focus of your class or how you wish to portray the character. And if one player specifically is always griping about it feel free to remind that specific player if he/she was worried about there being a dedicated healer he/she should have elected to play one.

Playing without a dedicated healer isn't impossible , it just means you have to be more mindful of your hp resource and have more judgement about simply running away, or finding healing resources outside of the party, and in later levels maybe someone will decide to take a feat or spell to help with the healing too.

Anyway just my two cents

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
When I play barbarians, I refuse to hit the bad guys. And my figure refuse to pick locks.

Shiroiken

Legend
No player should ever feel obligated to play a particular character type, nor should any player feel obligated to act as other players see fit. You should probably heal people, since that's probably in your best interest (situation pending), but the choice is yours. If someone bitches about it, you should replay "then why didn't YOU play a healer?"

Remove ads