D&D 5E Regarding DMG, Starter Set and Essentials kit: Are they good for the starting DMs?

So you're sticking with the "There's no advice for new DMs in the DMG?" Because I've shown repeatedly that there is. You have yet to actually address how, specifically, that advice should be handled differently.

The DMG is not a tutorial book and it is quite clear on that, both on the cover of the book and in the introduction. It does, however, offer plenty of advice for new DMs. I would say the majority of the book is advice for new DMs, about all an experienced DM needs from the book is the section on treasure.
Been through this. The back of the book says it has everything the DM needs. It's arguable that a new DM need instruction or a tutorial and there's little if any of that to be found.

Oofta

Legend
Been through this. The back of the book says it has everything the DM needs. It's arguable that a new DM need instruction or a tutorial and there's little if any of that to be found.
The back of the book mentions nothing about teaching you the fundamentals of the game. I have no idea why people would think it is when we explicitly have starter sets.

It tells you exactly what is inside the book on the back cover if anyone is confused. Nowhere does it mention tutorial.
20221024_134633.jpg

The back of the book mentions nothing about teaching you the fundamentals of the game. I have no idea why people would think it is when we explicitly have starter sets.

It tells you exactly what is inside the book on the back cover if anyone is confused. Nowhere does it mention tutorial.
View attachment 264704
You don't think "guidance" includes any sort instruction then? Well huh.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Fair. It says it "provides the inspiration and guidance you need." There's a difference of opinion on how much guidance is needed.
Doesn’t say that either. Leaving off important clauses doesn’t bolster your position. It only undermines it. IMO.

The DMG provides the inspiration and guidance you need to spark your imagination and create worlds of adventure for your players to explore and enjoy.

The back says it's for a specific kind of guidance. Why do you insist on leaving off such clauses?

Oofta

Legend
For all that guidance there's really not a lot of instruction in it is there?
Every single chapter in the book has advice and guidance. It doesn't prescribe specific behavior because that's the direction of 5E, that you should make the game your own.

It's become obvious to me we're no longer having a good faith discussion, it's come down to you stating some variation of "nah uh". If you want to ever come back with something specific, something other than a troll, feel free.

hawkeyefan

Legend
So you're sticking with the "There's no advice for new DMs in the DMG?" Because I've shown repeatedly that there is. You have yet to actually address how, specifically, that advice should be handled differently.

No, I didn't say that.

I have explained again and again how it can be handled differently. I've share my opinion about how to improve the information in the DMG. Some of those opinions you've even shared.

I think the starter set and/or essentials kit is a perfectly good place for new players and DMs to begin. However, I think the DMG should be the second step, and as such, can be organized and presented better with that goal in mind.

I also think it's likely better to focus on helping new folks rather than catering to those who don't actually need what it offers.

Remove ads