• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reincarnated as a Centaur - Doing it by the Book?

Sigma

First Post
This one came in from our junior league (one player is a teacher and he has a group of 7th and 8th graders that he is bringing into the game.)

One of their characters (an elven sorcerer) died and the druid cast reincarnation on him. They got a good roll and scored a centaur. So, now the character can continue in his class, he's got a lot better movement, a +8 to Str, +2 to Dex (net, he had +2 before as an elf, but lost it per Reincarnation), +4 to Con, and +2 to natural AC.

I advised them to give him a couple ECL's (I recommended 2-3 since he didn't get the bonus centaur HD, save bonuses, or BAB) and just not let him advance a sorcerer level until he burned those off.

But by the book, shouldn't the character just procede as normal, with a lot of bonuses and no penalties (other than the lost level of course).

Orco42

First Post
Sigma said:
But by the book, shouldn't the character just procede as normal, with a lot of bonuses and no penalties (other than the lost level of course).

I think so.

In fact when my character get enough money I will have a druid friend kill me and True Reincarnate me. If I don't like the result I will repeat. ;)

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Yup.

By the book you just keep playing the character with all those tasty bonuses. The spell does say: "A character reincarnated recalls the majority of his former life and form," but that is not exactly helpful without mechanical details.

Pretty imbalanced, isn't it?

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
The only saving grace with this situation is that enemies always go after the biggest threat; in this case, the centaur. After he dies, reincarnate him again...

...maybe this time he'll roll a 100 and you can choose squirrel. ;)

kreynolds

First Post
Sigma said:
one player is a teacher and he has a group of 7th and 8th graders that he is bringing into the game.

Boy oh boy, does that sound like a lawsuit waiting to happen, or what? :D

Sigma said:

Yes. Technically, you wouldn't even assign the character the ECL after the fact, as you generally only apply ECL at character creation, but I would do it in my games as well.

Sigma

First Post
Re: Re: Reincarnated as a Centaur - Doing it by the Book?

kreynolds said:

Boy oh boy, does that sound like a lawsuit waiting to happen, or what? :D

:) Well, actually, to clarify, he's a teacher, but not their teacher. And he doesn't run the game, they do, they just come to him for advice and some of them have sat in on our games. It's a lot of fun to play with and mentor them. I know when I was that age, seeing older, high school age, DM's really influenced my playing style (of course, not always for the better). :)

I also knew a guy in college who played D&D with a teacher in high school.

But that's neither here nor there. Thanks for the feedback.

mikebr99

Explorer
I would think that the reincarnated Centaur/Sorcerer would have the Std. abilities out of the MM. (except INT, WIS & CHR) Not +8 to their existing STR for example.
Centaur
Large Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 4d8+8 (26 hp)
Initiative: +2 (Dex)
Speed: 50 ft.
AC: 15 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +2 natural, +2 large shield)
Attacks: Greatclub +7 melee (or heavy lance +7 melee), 2 hooves +3 melee; or mighty composite longbow (+4) +5 ranged
Damage: Greatclub 1d10+4 (or heavy lance 1d8+4), hoof 1d6+2; or mighty composite longbow 1d8+4
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 10 ft./5 ft.
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +5
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 14, Con 15
I would also argue about adding some ECL to the character as he has just become alot more powerful and more able to deal with enemies... therefore less experience is gained by future adventuring. I.e. a higher amount of experience is needed for his next level.

Stalker0

Legend
I see no problem with doing it by the book. Reincarnation in my mind is like a deck of many things, you could come out of it either really powerful or completely screwed. And if your going to keep reincarnating to keep what you want, that's going to cost you a level each time. Seems preety fair to me for a player who's willing to gamble.

Orco42

First Post
mikebr99 said:
I would think that the reincarnated Centaur/Sorcerer would have the Std. abilities out of the MM. (except INT, WIS & CHR) Not +8 to their existing STR for example.

You are right. It should be the average for the race for the physical stats (mental stats do not change).

I would also add an ECL but that is only a house rule.

kreynolds

First Post
mikebr99 said:
Not +8 to their existing STR for example.

If that came from the size increase, then you're right, he wouldn't get it. That's the only place I could think of where that +8 might come from.

mikebr99 said:
I would also argue about adding some ECL to the character as he has just become alot more powerful and more able to deal with enemies... therefore less experience is gained by future adventuring. I.e. a higher amount of experience is needed for his next level.

Here, here.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads