Pathfinder 2E Release Day Second Edition Amazon Sales Rank

teitan

Legend
I think part of what is impacting P2 sales is that Paizo is still putting out their pocket editions of the 1e material. Therefore people don't see a real need to convert yet as material they did not get previously is being released at that lower price point in full color. Once that program is over it will be a slow burn hit, P2 will sell steady and get a better install base. Really it is a superior game but I can understand the reticence to convert expecially with the old material being reprinted at the same time fracturing their market base for a game that in the long run NEEDS to be successful for them.

BryonD

Hero
Have you seen the 2e book?
yes
There is a gazetteer in the core book for Golarian. Much more than Greyhawk ever had in a core book. It's baked in but it's so generic fantasy that it's easy to ignore the Golarion but less ingrained than Nentir Vale assumptions which Critical Role actually has baked into their setting because while it was a Pathfinder game it was also started as a 4e game.
So you agree that it is generic fantasy and it is easy to ignore Golarion. Cool.

BryonD

Hero
I think part of what is impacting P2 sales is that Paizo is still putting out their pocket editions of the 1e material. Therefore people don't see a real need to convert yet as material they did not get previously is being released at that lower price point in full color.
Are you saying people who don't have PF1 are buying the paperback PF1 books in lieu of the PF2 material?
The PF1 Core is the best selling pocket book.

Once that program is over it will be a slow burn hit, P2 will sell steady and get a better install base.
Why?

Really it is a superior game
No, it really isn't remotely.

Ok, seriously, that is obviously a matter of opinion and I truly respect that there will be people who love PF2. There is clearly a niche of fans who prefer this super-math over everything else approach.
But your statement is an opinion and entirely subjective. So I may as well express my opinion as an absolute as well.

Seriously, the context here, your own context from the very prior sentence, is with regard to installing a sales base. So you can't claim that you are just speaking for yourself. You are presenting a claim of consensus truth, if not an outright objective fact. And it is not remotely either of those. The question becomes: what portion of the fanbase agrees with you? And all evidence points to "not nearly enough".

Your entire premise is founded on the idea that it "will be a slow burn hit" "once that program is over", which is a concession that it ain't a hit right now. That is not a good starting point.
but I can understand the reticence to convert expecially with the old material being reprinted at the same time fracturing their market base for a game that in the long run NEEDS to be successful for them.
If I liked PF2, I'd dump PF1 in a heartbeat. I think it is absurd to claim that there are tons of people who see PF2 as "a superior game", but not only have they not converted, they have not even bothered to buy the product yet.

This exact same rationalization was offered up during the 4E days. 4E would boom "as soon as everyone wrapped up their 3E campaigns".
It didn't happen. The reason then was, people who continued their 3E campaigns in 3E did so because they liked 3E more than 4E. And people who liked 4E more than 3E either converted midcampaign or just started new campaigns. Collectively speaking, people start new campaigns constantly. And they don't play an inferior game when they have the option to play a superior game. They will play the game they like better now, and later they will also play the game they like better.

BryonD

Hero
I also agree it's baked in moreso than Greyhawk was to any edition. Soooooooooo there is that.
Yeah, I think that just shows a lack of your knowledge of prior editions. But whatever. That is neither here nor there to the real point.
Homebrewing other settings in PF (PF1 and PF2) is just as easy as it is in any other major D&D system.

Green Onceler

Explorer
The PF1 Core is the best selling pocket book.

The PF1 pocket Core Rulebook is such a great product. It makes referencing something at the table so easy. Personally, I've bought three copies this year. One for myself and two as birthday gifts for the other two GMs in our group.

teitan

Legend
Yeah, I think that just shows a lack of your knowledge of prior editions. But whatever. That is neither here nor there to the real point.
Homebrewing other settings in PF (PF1 and PF2) is just as easy as it is in any other major D&D system.

I've been playing longer than most of the people on the boards have been alive so.... no. I didn't say it wasn't easy, I was saying it is baked in. Reskinning fluff is easy for someone with experience. Not so much for new people. Thus things default to Golarion. It is baked in. You're experiences are great and all and I am not disagreeing 100% but Golarion is definitely more ingrained in PF than Greyhawk was in D&D. D&D had a few references here and there but by putting the gazetteer in there they set up their world as a default setting and new people will use that. Then of course the expansion products are often designed with the world they created in mind. Again, easy to reskin and use otherwise but the default throughout the book is reference to their setting, their characters etc. With D&D there is a stronger encouragement of your world and the worlds of D&D in the core book from multiple pantheons and fluff detail of items or examples, it shows a myriad of campaign settings and ideas can be used with the game. Hell P2 has more about the world of Golarion than most other world specific RPGs have about their default settings.

Also it's ok to disagree with people without being a jerk and passive aggressiveness.

BryonD

Hero
The PF1 pocket Core Rulebook is such a great product. It makes referencing something at the table so easy. Personally, I've bought three copies this year. One for myself and two as birthday gifts for the other two GMs in our group.
I agree completely.

But the comment I replied to was that people were not buying PF2 because they were buying cheaper PF1 stuff which they didn't already have. Which would mean the core book.
I think my reply gets caught up in the lack of logic in the context it replies to.

Remove ads