Pathfinder 2E Release Day Second Edition Amazon Sales Rank

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I think it is fairly obvious when you look at the product design, pricing, and design philosophy of Pathfinder 2 that they are not targeting as broad of an audience as 5th Edition. It is definitely designed for a smaller, but more actively engaged audience. I'm not speaking just about mechanics here.

The initial product offerings suggest an audience that is just as invested in the lore of the game. Many classes have direct and detailed connections to the setting lore and fairly early in the life cycle of the new edition we are getting detailed write ups on individual deities with curses and blessings they can provide, organizations that PCs can possibly join, and regions they can come from.

The premium price point, detailed lore, high page counts, and lavish full page spreads of many of these books also suggest a strong collector audience to me. These are some incredibly beautiful books. They definitely want you to think about the game when you are not playing it.

I do not know if it will be successful enough or if there is enough of a market for a game that is meant to engage its audience this deeply. A lot depends on how it actually plays when people have had a chance to actually sit down and play it. If the game proves to be fun enough over the long term the audience should grow. Probably not to 5th Edition levels, but it is not really trying to be that game or compete with Wizards.

Much of the commentary here suggests that they should have tried to compete directly with Wizards. I think that would be a mistake. Paizo has always really excelled at catering to a devoted audience with detailed lore, extremely challenging adventures, and a game that allows you to build the character you want to play. It's their core competency.

I am also not certain that anyone could meaningfully compete with Wizards at what 5th Edition does best - a simple, undemanding game that can be picked up and played just about anywhere. No one else has their reach. Between Magic and Dungeons and Dragons they pretty much own the hobby market. Adventurer's League is tuned perfectly for pick up and play. You can play through fairly simple scenarios in just a couple hours.

Paizo's organized play program has always been more demanding and much of their core audience likes it that way. Pathfinder Society scenarios take about 4-5 hours to play out and are often deeply challenging and lore heavy. The efforts that they have taken to make the game more accessible are already fairly fraught. Fully embracing casual play would mean leaving most of that audience behind.

In summary I'm not sure if they have threaded the needle just right. Making the game more accessible while preserving depth of play, depth of lore, and character customization is deeply difficult. I think they have to try though because a differentiated strategy might work while directly competing with 5e would be certain to fail.

Aldarc

Legend
Anecdotally, I can say that when I arrived to Austria (Fall 2015), I found an initial gaming group within a few weeks. They played Pathfinder. I asked why they didn't play 5e, since it was the newest, hottest, freshest thing for the past year, and they expressed disappointment in 5e about building characters. I say this because I recalled this conversation when looking through Campbell's post, and it made me curious to check Amazon.de for a comparison.

On Amazon.de roleplaying games section - admittedly a smaller market than the US for RPGs - the English-language 5e Core Rule Giftset (PHB, DMG, MM, DM Screen) is #1; the German-language 5e PHB is #2; the German-language 5e Starter Kit is #3; and the English-language Pathfinder 2 Core Rulebook is #4. By the way, Der Schwarze Auge is #6.

I think that is pretty impressive for "not-D&D."

jib916

Explorer
Amazon seems to be a great indicator of how well 5e is doing, but I would say that does not apply equally to Pathfinder. Currently (Online) DND does not sell books directly, while Paizo does. I suspect that Paizo has a large percentage of there business thorough there website and subscriptions (myself included) while the majority of 5e's online sales are done through Amazon. The fact that Paizo is behind on sending out this months subscription shipments would indicate that they seeing an increase in subscriptions as well (which is good for there model) . Also paizo sells PDFs of their books (As well as posting all rules online for free) , while Hasbro does not (No Curse's DND Beyond (While neat, though extremely overpriced) is not the same) , so that could also affect there amazon sales.

Though like people have suggested, PF2 does not and will never beat 5e in sales/amazon. It doesn't need to. The better 5e sales, the more people into the hobby and the better Pf2 will do. 5e is the gateway drug of Fantasy Gaming.

darjr

I crit!
We’ve been through this before. Amazon sales dwarf any other sites sales. So a ranking that shows good numbers compared to all other books is quite likely the most significant proxy for total sales. Granted Paizo direct sales might be a higher percentage of thier sales than any other third party sales. Somewhere here a Paizo employee gave a rough number of Paizo forum users and compared to Amazon sales it was a tiny fraction. Note that I think you become a Paizo forum member if you are a subscriber. Also there are other third party online PHB sellers.

zztong

Explorer
I don't know how well this relates to sales, but I stumbled across a Roll20 report for Q2 of 2019 that relates to what is being played. I'm curious what the Q3 report might show.

Note, another site suggested that homebrew games largely filled the "uncategorized" category. I don't know how true that is, but I don't have an alternative to suggest. The same site seems to comment on trends that I haven't tried to verify.

darjr

I crit!
Russ usually posts an article about them. I’m curious too.

Remove ads