Relics for Sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinklar

First Post
Hi All,

Last week while making a wizard for a Tournament, I ran across some old information that I had purposefully tried to forget. Basically, it boils down to the fact that I sometimes feel WOTC set up 3E D&D for a bunch of munchkins. Example:

A monk can buy a silk headband that gives +6 to WIS, STR and DEX for a mere 180,000 G.P.? Take a good, hard look at that. THREE primary stats. What the heck is the purpose of ever gaining a level, when crap like this exists?? It's not an artifact, nor is it unique...it's just a good ole' magic item.

Here's another: Headband of Intellect +6: 98,000 G.P. Ummm.... okay. Let's forget for a second how absurd the cost is, and just focus on the item itself. People, there are just some things that I do NOT believe in. One of them is magic that makes you instantly smarter. Observe:

Farmer Joe (INT 8 ): Gosh darn rabbits are in my lettuce field again!

Merchant: Well, fine sir, for the measly cost of 1,000 gold, and your daughter's servitude for the next fifty years, I think I could help you. (Sells him Headband of Intellect +6)

Farmer Joe (INT 16): Wow. This is amazing. The possibilities are endless. I always wanted to be a wizard and now I can. I know all those big words that I couldn't understand before. thank you sir.

Sharrise (daughter): Daddy!

Wizard Joe (INT 16): Now, you be a good servant, Sharrise. Daddy has to go buy a set of spellbooks.

This is garbage. This is not role-playing. But this is how the rules we currently play by allow someone to act! This is a perfect example of magic out of control. FYI, to all, if I ever see an item like this in a game I'm playing, I will see you when the next campaign begins. I can be persuaded and cajoled into a lot of , but don't even try to convince me that Silk Headbands of Perfection are perfectly reasonable. I hate that happy-ass munchkin crap. There are just certain things that magic should not be allowed to do in our campaigns so that we don't turn, as one of our players put it, into a bunch of Rifts players.

3E isn't like AD&D. Items now are just generic Belts of STR + whatever. There are no Girdles of Storm Giant Strength. So, instead of just having a cool sounding magic item, you are forced to confront the fact that you are wearing something that increases your STR by +6 or +8. This is something, as you can see, that drives me insane.

I try very hard to challenge my players, and I have come to the sudden realization that they do not run around with Headbands of Intellect +6. I don't have as big of a problem with items that give slight boosts to STR or even DEX...but anything outside of that is just wrong, in my opinion. I guess I just tend to focus on the CHARACTER too much. Once you start throwing in all these items that can effectively turn a farmer into a wizard, it completely destroys the idea of earning knowledge or wisdom.

My viewpoint was reinforced recently when I was looking through some of the NPCs I've created for a high level adventure I am writing. A CR 24 epic level Fighter /' Assassin, has exactly ONE item that increases his DEX by two. That is it. He's got a pretty bad ass arsenal of weaponry and armor, etc.., but next to nothing in the way of Stat boosting items. Is this an oversight on my part? Or is it an attempt to flesh out the character more fully? And let's look at this from a realistic aspect. A high level fighter, especially one who uses two swords...wouldn't a belt of STR throw him off his game? You spend years learning your limitations; you know exactly how to step to parry a thrust; you know exactly how to slash at an opponent to just slice his belt off, etc.. If you are, all of a sudden, nearly 50% stronger...how does that affect your combat style? It should completely change it. But D&D simply tacks on some numbers and says now you can hit things better? Bah.

Melee combat is an art form. Artificial augmentation would seem to do more to throw off a high level fighter than aid him. And even if the adjustment were made, what happens if the magic item is taken away? "Oh crap..umm...I forgot how to do this the hard way!"

And argue all you want, but it sure seems to me that a Monk would rather renounce his teachings that wear an item that increased his WIS score. In a class where discipline is everything, how could a character be more aware just because of a ring he's wearing?!

Another example: A major NPC in my campaign is the Chosen representative of Azuth. As such, and considering he is the ruler of a small country, you'd think he would have an INT of 30+ because of all the insane magic 3E allows him to wear. Nope. INT of 24, and three points of that is God-granted. An INT score of 24 would make you smarter than 99% of the people who have ever lived, right? Why would anyone ever need to be any smarter? Now consider something else: is a 10th level character with a 20 INT, who has earned his INT through leveling and experience, more likely to be more responsible with his power or does the Appalachian yokel who suddenly got smart? Does this guy really comprehend what's going to happen when he unleashes that fireball in the middle of a town festival?

Now, to everything there is an exception, even to this rant. While I cannot stand the thought of items that crank your stats up, what I don't mind are items like a "Manual of Fitness +2". You read this book that shows you how to pump up, you spend a couple months following what it says in the book, you gain some STR. Cool. Because even though it's a magic item, you still have to earn the stat increase and there is a role-playing aspect that helps explain that. Even a "Libram of INT +4" might be feasible. If you sit down and read through a dusty old tome for two or three months, chances are you are going to be smarter for it.

I guess the bottom line for me is that I don't have many problems with amazing weapons or even armor. You wanna swing a lightsaber? Fine. But don't expect to be swinging that thing while wearing a Belt of STR +4, a Headband of WIS +6 and Gloves of DEX +8.

In fact, out group is on the verge of instituting a house rule concerning this. Maybe something like: "A character can only wear one Statistic-enhancing item at a time, with a maximum of +4 in enchantment." What would some of you think of that? I just don't want the focus taken off of the CHARACTER. "My sword is better than yours!" is a hell of a lot better than "My artificial INT is higher than yours!"

Well, take a look at all of the above and have at thee... Thank you for your time and I'm sure this will get me flamed by someone!

*tosses soap box at next person* :D

Last edited:

Tsyr

Explorer
One word: Equity.

Fighter: Hey! Check out this! I got a Girdle of Giant Strength, Bracers of Dextarity, a Crown of Constitution, plus I got these nifty rings that give me even more strength and dextarity, and...

Wizard: Good for you. I have... A dull grey ion stone.

But beyond that, I don't find the concept of magic increasing stats other than the physicals that hard to comprehend... this is magic we are talking about. Why is it hard to believe magic can do something? Magic is tampering with reality itself, I don't see how such things would be terribly difficult to overcome.

Also... I do kenjitsu, as well as fencing, and have practiced with other swords as well... and I really don't think increases in STR or DEX would hinder a fighter overmuch. Maybe for the first day or two, but he would adapt very quickly. And would de-adapt very quickly.

As for a monk not advacing in levels, just buying items... really, how much do you think that that headband will increase his actual fighting ability by? Some, sure, but not much. Not more than a full level at best, I would say. Remember, it doesn't include hit points, or fort saves, or new feats, or new virtual feats, or...

And anyhow, as has been said before, how much magic you allow your players to just buy is totaly up to you. I know a lot of DMs here don't allow their players to buy very much, but still have INT boosting magic items and such. A lot of DMs don't go with the "magic items are easily bought at the local Wiz-Mart" route. Because it doesn't make sense that there are all these smart wizards willing to take mega hits in power just to create items for profit day in and day out.

And dangit, can you leave insults to people who play other SYSTEMS out of your rant? I play Rifts. Rifts is a very rich world, and has lots of oportunities for roleplaying and adventuring, not to mention just general having fun. Rifts != Munchkin. A lot of munchkins PLAY rifts, but a lot of munchkins play DnD, and Whitewolf for that matter. Please don't lump a system as "munchkin bait".

Sinklar

First Post
Tsyr said:
And anyhow, as has been said before, how much magic you allow your players to just buy is totaly up to you. I know a lot of DMs here don't allow their players to buy very much, but still have INT boosting magic items and such. A lot of DMs don't go with the "magic items are easily bought at the local Wiz-Mart" route. Because it doesn't make sense that there are all these smart wizards willing to take mega hits in power just to create items for profit day in and day out.

I tend to keep magic out of the player's hands as much as possible to an extent. I don't mind about 95% of it. It's just those items that crank stats way up that get under my skin.

What I could tolerate would be an item that raised a character's stats because of the item's properties. Like...if you were wearing a crown that had the minds of 10 generations of kings in it giving you advice, I'd buy off on that cranking up your INT a couple points. But just putting on a generic headband? Sorry, that's just too easy.

And dangit, can you leave insults to people who play other SYSTEMS out of your rant? I play Rifts. Rifts is a very rich world, and has lots of oportunities for roleplaying and adventuring, not to mention just general having fun. Rifts != Munchkin. A lot of munchkins PLAY rifts, but a lot of munchkins play DnD, and Whitewolf for that matter. Please don't lump a system as "munchkin bait".

Heh-heh. Sorry if I ruffled your, or any other's, feathers. I've played in that system and it is, indeed a lot of FUN. Maybe I've been in the wrong groups, but it just never lent itself very well to role-playing in my eyes. I will agree, however, that for source material, Rifts is hard to match.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Farmer Joe (INT 8 ): Gosh darn rabbits are in my lettuce field again!

Merchant: Well, fine sir, for the measly cost of 1,000 gold, and your daughter's servitude for the next fifty years, I think I could help you. (Sells him Headband of Intellect +6)

Farmer Joe (INT 16): Wow. This is amazing. The possibilities are endless. I always wanted to be a wizard and now I can. I know all those big words that I couldn't understand before. thank you sir.

Sharrise (daughter): Daddy!

Wizard Joe (INT 16): Now, you be a good servant, Sharrise. Daddy has to go buy a set of spellbooks.

By the way, 8 + 6 = 14, not 16.

Perhaps I can interest you in this headband? For the measely cost of 1,000 gold.... ;)

Last edited:

Tsyr

Explorer
"flavor text" is up to you to decide. If you want to say that the crown, or headband, or whatever, channels the spirits of dead kings or something... fine.

But again I bring up equity. Does a Girdle of Frost Giant Strength have to have the woven muscles of ten frost giants to provide it's powers? If not, then you are somewhat unfairly shafting the magic users.

Sinklar

First Post
Wolfspider said:

By the way, 8 + 6 = 14, not 16.

Perhaps I can interest you in this headband? For the measely cosst of 1,000 gold.... ;)

Hmmm...uhh...well...

YOU SEE?! You can never predict what will happen with those pesky magic items! I guess the farmer got a real bargain, huh?

Sinklar

First Post
Tsyr said:
But again I bring up equity. Does a Girdle of Frost Giant Strength have to have the woven muscles of ten frost giants to provide it's powers?

Oh wow. Now THAT is a truly inspired idea!

I guess I'd be more inclined to let a player MAKE an item like this as opposed to buying or finding one, especially if it had material requirements like that!

Got any more like this you care to share?

Tsyr

Explorer
...er, not exactly. Magic is a lot different in my campagin... what "normal" magic there is tends to be much more... flavorfull, though.

Storm Raven

First Post
Sinklar said:
Last week while making a wizard for a Tournament, I ran across some old information that I had purposefully tried to forget. Basically, it boils down to the fact that I feel WOTC set up 3E D&D for a bunch of munchkin geeks. Example:

Good way to start a post, just implicitly trash the people who like the game as a "bunch of munchkin geeks". Good way to get started.

A monk can buy a silk headband that gives +6 to WIS, STR and DEX for a mere 180,000 G.P.? Take a good, hard look at that. THREE primary stats. What the heck is the purpose of ever gaining a level, when crap like this exists?? It's not an artifact, nor is it unique...it's just a good ole' magic item.

A magic item that costs 180,000 gp. What kind of munchkin game are you running if you have lots of PCs who aren't really high level with that much cash to spare? PCs shouldn't have that kind of cash until they are in the late teens in terms of level, and even then that single item would represent the bulk of their wealth. Why is this a problem?

Here's another: Headband of Intellect +6: 98,000 G.P. Ummm.... okay. Let's forget for a second how absurd the cost is, and just focus on the item itself. People, there are just some things that I do NOT believe in. One of them is magic that makes you instantly smarter.

And yet you can believe that magic can spontaneously produce balls of fire, bolts of lightning, return you from the dead, give animals and trees sentience, allow you to vanish from one place and reappear hundreds of miles away, animate dead corpses, transform you into an undying undead creature, or any number of other things. But somehow, making someone smarter is beyond the believability of magic? You aren't making sense.

This is garbage. This is not role-playing. But this is how the rules we currently play by allow someone to act! This is a perfect example of magic out of control. FYI, to all, if I ever see an item like this in a game I'm playing, I will see you when the next campaign begins. I can be persuaded and cajoled into a lot of , but don't even try to convince me that Silk Headbands of Perfection are perfectly reasonable. I hate that happy-ass munchkin crap. There are just certain things that magic should not be allowed to do in our campaigns so that we don't turn, as one of our players put it, into a bunch of Rifts players.

And yet you have no problem with magic that returns you from the dead? Oh, by the way, I guess you won't be playing in any game I am involved in, since I don't see how an item that makes you stronger is significantly different from an item that makes you smarter. And you can take yout "happy-ass munchkin" self and jump out the window for all I care.

3E isn't like AD&D. Items now are just generic Belts of STR + whatever. There are no Girdles of Storm Giant Strength. So, instead of just having a cool sounding magic item, you are forced to confront the fact that you are wearing something that increases your STR by +6 or +8. This is something, as you can see, that drives me insane.

Well, first, I question whether you have actually read about the magic items in question, since the maximum the rules allow for is a +6 enhancement item, not +8. And second, perhaps you could give the items some flavor text to make them "cool counding"? Girdles of Storm Giant Strength would be out of place in my campaign, since I don't have any of the standard giants, so that flavor text would have to be changed for me. Instead, I can just add the flavor text that seems right for my game. Gosh, what a hardship it is to add flavor text.

Oh, by the way, the Strength enhancing items are Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Lesser Belts of Giant Strength, and Greater Belts of Giant Strength. Once again, I question whether you have actually read the DMG on this, since you rant about the "Belts of Str+ whatever" without noticing that the "generic" name you talk about doesn't exist in the DMG.

I'm just going to chalk you up as either a troll, or a moron, or both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads