• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rel's Faded Glory II (Thanks Old One) Final Update 7/14

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Hit and RUN!

The plan was far from complex. That was a good thing because the group had proven time and again that their complex plans fell apart, usually just moments after they were conceived.

"We swoop in. Kill as many as we can and fly out before they even know we're there. It's simple." said Raven.

"Most of the really good and really bad ideas are." commented Speaks.

"Is there a backup plan?" asked Scar in an uncharacteristic moment of caution.

"No backup plan," insisted Raven. "It distracts us from the primary plan!"

On that inarguable point of logic, Speaks remained silent.

The group girded themselves for battle. Both Raven and Scar recieved the blessing of Moradin, endowing them with Bull's Strength, Freedom of Movement and the ability to Endure the Element of fire. Speaks used a spell to give his Skin the toughness of Great Root's Bark. He also rendered himself Invisible to any Animals the Dark Druids may have watching. They exchanged glances and all knew they were ready. Speaks summoned the power of the wild and they were transformed into eagles.

Speaks took a slight lead over the other two and in just a few minutes the Dark Druid camp was in view. He flew just above the treetops dodging the occasional tall pine that jutted above the oaks. Without hesitation, he swooped in and alighted in some branches just on the north side of the compound. He didn't wait before using his magic to summon a Web of Briars upon the southwest side of the camp, inside the hedges. The encampment started to erupt in chaos and the battle was joined.

Before the Dark Druids could react at all, Speaks shrouded the other side of the camp in a similar Briar Web as Raven and Scar swooped over the treetops and into the edge of the camp. As he watched his companions descend into the enemy's lair, Speaks summoned forth an area of Spiked Growth around the break in the western hedge of the encampment. Whatever was inside the camp was going to stay there and hopefully the undead army camped outside couldn't get in either.

The first enemy reaction came in the form of a bird flying out of one of the smaller tents and landing near the entrance to the large central pavillion, just outside of the area enmeshed with the Briar Web. Scar darted down and came to rest atop the central pole of the pavillion. Raven opted to get his feet back on the earth a bit sooner and landed near the entrance to the pavillion where he found himself face to face with a skeletal ogre.

No sooner had Raven's little birdie feet touched the ground when a column of fire arced from the heavens and he was Struck by Flame. Though it was startling and impressive, the attack did little damage to the dwarf thanks to the protective magics upon him. The worst was the sickening feeling caused by the unholy force from which the Dark Druids channeled their magic.

At nearly the same moment, the oak in which Speaks perches burst into flame as another such column of fire struck down frm above. Speaks too suffered only minor injuries from the attack and was able to cast about and locate the probably source: A pair of other large bird forms were perched in the trees on same side of the camp that he was! In response, Speaks called upon the woods to Entangle them, hoping that would keep them busy for a while.

Back in the center of the Dark Druid camp, Raven transformed back into his normal form. As always, the change was a bit disorienting. Adding to his confusion was the tremendous backhanded slap that he recevied from the ogre skeleton (critical hit). Shaking off the blow, Raven retaliated with his hammer and the skeleton exploded in a storm of bone fragments.

One of the Dark Druids in bird form managed to break out of the tangle of limbs that tried to grasp it and its falcon form shot toward Speaks, failing to rend him with its claws. Speaks attempted to consume his avian attacker with a Creeping Cold even as he took to the air in retreat. The falcon seemed to shake off the effects and keep coming.

Below, Scar resumed his normal form and took great delight in swaying back and forth atop the pavillion support pole as he drew out his weapon and prepared to join the battle proper. A moment later, the half-orc jumped slightly and the tent fabric ripped under him and he plunged into the pavillion ready to deal death to those inside. A short way away, Raven called forth a Magic Circle Against Evil as he took a step away from the main tent and cast about for a new enemy. He didn't have to look far.

Even as Scar made his grand entrance to the tent, an Elf emerged from it with a green-glowing rod in his hands. He spoke strange words and with a wave of the wand, darkness sprang out of the earth near Raven. From above, Speaks watched helplessly as the darkness separated into individual Shadows who swarmed over the dwarf, sucking the strength and life out of him...

NEXT: Moradin, Give Me STRENGTH!

I hope this little cliffhanger is enough to keep you going until I get back. We're headed to the beach tomorrow and I've got about a million little things to do before then.

When I return, look forward to the rest of this battle, which lasted a whopping 33 combat rounds and consumed an entire game session.

Darklone

33 rounds after such a bad start??? OMG.

Endure Elements helped them so much against flame strikes? Wow. Looks like Raven made his Reflex save this time, eh ;)?

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I am back from vacation and officially swamped at work. However, I should still have some time in the evenings to get the next installment together. I should have something up by either Wednesday night or Thursday morning.

Fortunately I'm working from a set of careful notes that Raven's player took during the session and that is helping a lot. Unfortunately, his handwriting is about as bad a mine and therefore nearly indecipherable sometimes. ;)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Darklone said:
We want slaughter ;)!!!

Be careful what you wish for...

I had to take a bit of work home with me yesterday and then I spent an hour or so last night working on our "Old Glynden" NWN module. So I didn't get my update finished to a suitable stopping point. But I just found out that my other plans for tonight have been cancelled so I will finish and post it tonight. Sorry for the delay.

On the upside, those who are looking to play the NWN module will be pleased to hear that it is coming along nicely and should be ready for some playtesting in the next week or so. If any of you guys want to playtest it for us, let me know. You may want to wait until the final version is ready though. This being our first module, I'm certain it is going to be a bit buggy.

While you're waiting for an update, maybe you NWN players can help me out with something. I'm trying as hard as possible to inject the "Faded Glory" feel into the module. But there's only so much you can do with the Toolset. If you have any ideas for things I can add that would enhance the feel of the campaign, let me know. If they are within my (meager) abilities, I'll implement them. Keep in mind that this is not yet the campaign styled after my story hour. This is a smaller, "prequel" module set about 20 years prior to my campaign.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
I would expect that the biggest difficulties with getting the faded glory feel would probably be visual. Roman armor isn't very well supported by the standard toolkit. (Although shortsword models could probably work for gladii and the plumed horsehair helmet would probably fit in as well).

I don't think lorica segmentata, for instance would be modelled by the toolset well although you might manage the chain mail armor (Lorica Hamata?) using the toolkit.

However, some of that can probably be fixed by using the online community's creations. (The best site I know of is Neverwinter Vault but there may be others).

I think I saw an antique breastplate armor model--it's more greek than Roman but would still fit well with a Faded Glory.

I'm sure I've seen some square tower shields there as well. Reskin a few (reskinning was fairly easy when I did it for Freespace 2) with imperial eagles and they'd make a great Faded glory addition.

A few custom portraits would also greatly enhance the faded glory feel. (Even just a few of the major NPCs would help out). If there aren't many suitable ones online, you might be able to color some pictures of Roman busts and/or statuary from art history sites for the faded glory look.

Put all of those into a hakpak and I think it would give the mod a much more "Faded Glory" appearance.

Rel said:
While you're waiting for an update, maybe you NWN players can help me out with something. I'm trying as hard as possible to inject the "Faded Glory" feel into the module. But there's only so much you can do with the Toolset. If you have any ideas for things I can add that would enhance the feel of the campaign, let me know. If they are within my (meager) abilities, I'll implement them. Keep in mind that this is not yet the campaign styled after my story hour. This is a smaller, "prequel" module set about 20 years prior to my campaign.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Thanks for the reply about the NWN module, Elder-Basilisk. Also, let me take just a brief second to say how honored I am that you have been reading my story hour. Not to gush or whatever, but you represent to me pretty much the pinnacle of thoughtful game analysis that initially drew me to ENWorld in the first place. It is rare that I read one of your posts and don't come away feeling like I have just learned something new. That you are reading my Story Hour makes me beam with pride (and frankly makes me a tad self conscious).

Now, with that bit of hero worship out of the way, thanks again for your comments on the mod. I agree that few of the default armors are very Roman (and therefore Emorean) in appearance. I think that for right now, I'll probably hold off on trying to skin any new ones. The same probably goes for the custom portraits.

The reason for this is twofold. First, I'm just not particularly good at manipulating the toolset yet. My strengths seem to be in the plotting and also the creating of interesting and unique items within the strictures of the toolset. Custom content is probably a bit out of my mental grasp at the moment (I utterly stink at even fairly rudimentary coding).

The other reason is even more compelling and that is that this module is sort of a test to get down the basics of the toolset before I make the one modeled after my actual campaign. Because this one predates the campaign by 20 years, any of the custom portraits I made would be for people who aren't around for the next one or who will be 20 years older.

So I guess I'm saying that I think those are good suggestions, but I'm not quite up for implementing them just yet. I will make sure and keep my eye out for some good "Romanesque" armors and weapons over at NWVault though.

Any further ideas would still be appreciated.

Remove ads