D&D 5E Remove Curse & Lycanthropes

Dorian_Grey

First Post
My cleric just finished a battle against a pack of werewolves. After the battle I was using remove curse to cure my party of the curse, but I was wondering if it would have been possible for me to use the spell offensively to cure a werewolf as it was attacking us. Has anyone tried this?

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
I guess all dms will have a different take on this. I would not allow it offensively but if you capture and restrain one I would allow for you to do it as a ritual.

aco175

Legend
If the target did not wish to be cured I would give them a save to avoid it. There is also some lycanthropes that are not cursed, but born that way and the spell would not work. DMs may also say that after a certain amount of time, it cannot be cured. This may be after the first moon when it changes or even years.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
I like the creativity, but I think that by using Remove Curse in that situation it trivializes Lycanthropes. In fact I am not a fan of the Remove Curse spell period. I prefer curses to be serious things that require a quest to "fix", not just walking to your nearest 5th level Cleric for a single action spell.

That being said, I *WOULD* allow the Remove Curse spell to work more like a Divination Spell (in addition to removing the "Bestow Curse" effects), and inform the players on how the Curse can be lifted. That would lead to a much more exciting adventure.

After writing this I think it boils down to Minor Curses vs. Major Curses, and whether you want to differentiate them in your game. If it were my game, and the players wanted to cure the Lycanthropy as a means to defeat the encounter, then I would definitely allow them to pursue that avenue.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
According to the MM: A remove curse spell can rid an afflicted lycanthrope of the curse, but a natural born lycanthrope can be freed of the curse only with a wish.

So if they were natural born, no, if they were afflicted, yes.
[MENTION=27385]aco175[/MENTION] mentioned a save to avoid it if they wanted - to me, many curses the affected may not want to get rid of while affected by the curse, so if that was intended the spell write up would already cover it. The flip side is that the spell specifically requires a touch, so if you are casting it while the target is trying not to be touched I'd require an attack roll just like any other touch-delivered offensive spell. But that would be because of the situation where the target is trying to avoid a touch delivered spell, not because it's part of the spell.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
That being said, I *WOULD* allow the Remove Curse spell to work more like a Divination Spell (in addition to removing the "Bestow Curse" effects), and inform the players on how the Curse can be lifted. That would lead to a much more exciting adventure.

I really like this idea, and like the idea of differentiating between major and minor curses. RAW, it certainly seems like you could use the spell to remove the affliction in combat

Fanaelialae

Legend
By RAW, it wouldn't affect natural lycanthropes but it would work on cursed ones, requiring an attack roll (unless the lycanthrope doesn't try to avoid your touch) but not allowing a saving throw. Of course, the DM is always free to change things for their own campaign.

Personally, though, that's how I would run it. Moonbeam is a significantly more powerful spell against lycanthropes at the cost of a lower level spell slot, so it seems reasonable to allow Remove Curse to negate lycanthropy with a successful spellcasting ability attack roll. While moonbeam doesn't permanently cure lycanthropy it uses a lower level spell slot, is an area effect, and deals damage (useful, since someone who was willingly cursed might continue fighting you even after being "cured"). Remove curse is the preferable option, of course, if you seek to save someone from the curse.

S

Sunseeker

Personally, "remove curse" is designed for use against other spells in-game that could curse a player. Things like Lycanthropy, Vampirisim, etc... they're a different sort of magic, especially once they've "set in" (first transformation, first feeding, etc...). I think if it was simple enough to just cast "remove curse" on an afflicted Lycanthrope, there wouldn't be anymore, unless of course, remove curse was an incredibly rare spell.

I find it easier to set the bar higher than to lower the availability of solutions. There is a solution to every problem in any game I run, some are just harder than others. I think a +/-20 day window to use remove curse on a newly afflicted lycanthrope is a pretty fair timeline.

mon0_liz

Villager
In my game, the DM only allows Remove Curse on those Lyconthropes who were transformed via magical means (i.e. curses) but not on those born in such a way or transformed by a werewolf bite

Remove ads