D&D 5E Removing INT, replacing it with?

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Believe it or not, back in like 1st Ed, your class allowed you to just "know stuff". There were so skills. The Wizard obviously knows magical lore stuff. The Ranger or Druid obviously know about plants and animals. The Thief obviously knows the value of gems and how to use rope.

And if it was something that might require a roll you just rolled against the stat. "While the Wiz does know this is ancient elven, roll under your INT of 18 to see if he knows the secret!"

Anywho, removing a stat is not a good idea IMO. People dont RP a high/low WIS or high/low CHA either. That's what the DM and rolling the dice is for. After some RP: "With your high charisma roll you convince the King to give more reward."

Making Artificers Wisdom/Willpower/Awareness based feels off as well. I'm not sure where else to put them (or whether to add a new way to set save DC's)

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Anywho, removing a stat is not a good idea IMO. People dont RP a high/low WIS or high/low CHA either. That's what the DM and rolling the dice is for. After some RP: "With your high charisma roll you convince the King to give more reward."

For CHR, I can see it working as something like a mundane form of presence in VtM though, so it isn't anything most people would be able to RP well, or how they RP it won't necessarily come through and help. You the player roaring at the DM because your Leonin is roaring at the guard doesn't seem like a thing that would help. You the player coming up with a really brilliant idea or bit of knowledge that your character if in a story wouldn't know or think of, and having your character act on it would, right?

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
You have a whole different take on how to use Int and other ability stats than I do. Plus your whole 'either you do or you don't' take on things pretty much negates the needs for stats and skill bonuses at all. At that point, you're using a whole different system. Maybe you would enjoy a pure narrative system better?
Well, I disagree. You cant say: my character is athletic, so I I can handle all obstacles. Or my character is a dwarf, so I can take more hits, and that's that.

But a dwarf cleric with the soldier background should be able to know stuff about common pantheons, how divine magic works in his day to day life, how clerics are perceived in this world, the ways of the dwarves and the general functioning of a war camp, no?

Now, if said dwarf would like to know that this mystic symbol of the wall is. The DM could ask for a Int (religion or arcana) roll, sure. But I think it would be more interesting to say: ''nothing from you past education allows you to remember anything about such symbol''. So the player has to find a way discover the hidden truth about the symbol, making research or finding an NPC with such knowledge or whatever.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Making Artificers Wisdom/Willpower/Awareness based feels off as well. I'm not sure where else to put them (or whether to add a new way to set save DC's)

I've been mulling it over, and for a while I had Psyche, Awareness, Will, and Charisma, where Psyche was the ability to master complicated and esoteric formula and patterns. So not useful in day to day intelligence things, but exactly wizards memorizing spells. But then that felt really, really narrow and I have no idea what a negative modifier would mean.

So now I'm toying around with some "not abilities but things to spend character creation points on", like that psyche (wizards), and divine connection (clerics), and natural attunement (druids), and spirit sense (shamans), or the like.

Tales and Chronicles

Believe it or not, back in like 1st Ed, your class allowed you to just "know stuff". There were so skills. The Wizard obviously knows magical lore stuff. The Ranger or Druid obviously know about plants and animals. The Thief obviously knows the value of gems and how to use rope.

And if it was something that might require a roll you just rolled against the stat. "While the Wiz does know this is ancient elven, roll under your INT of 18 to see if he knows the secret!"

Yeah, mental stats are a little more hard to roleplay for some players.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
huh...no?

Awareness covers: perception (wis), insight (wis), survival (wis), investigation (int) and Initiative (dex).

Wis still has: animal handling, medecine, spellcasting for Wizard, Druid, Ranger, Cleric and many of the most nasty Saves.
I do like the idea but I suppose I’m wondering why animal handling and medicine arent part of Awareness/Acumin too.
Medicine is lore/survival really whereas animal handling goes into to the whole insight and empathy side of things. I suppose separating them maintains the 6 attributes but it seems to diminish Wis and only keep it as the the psyche-spellcasting stat.

Tales and Chronicles

In Shadow of the Demon Lord, spellcasters have a special stat called: Magic.

This could be one way of doing things: is you gain the Spellcasting Trait or Pact Magic, roll a new score that determines your spell attack bonus and DC.

Remove ads