• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rename Thievery to Roguery

Sitara

Explorer
For the same reason Thief was renamed to Rogue. I mean, not all rogues are thieves though some can be. But every thief is, well a thief.

Thoughts?

Lizard

Explorer
Sitara said:
For the same reason Thief was renamed to Rogue. I mean, not all rogues are thieves though some can be. But every thief is, well a thief.

Thoughts?

Disagree -- 'Thievery' implies a much narrower skill set than 'Roguery'.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sitara said:

Thoughts?

Picking pockets and locks is pretty "thiefy" to me. If I don't want my "rogue" to be a "thief", I'll give him skills which aren't used for stealing stuff!

Lizard

Explorer
Morrus said:
Picking pockets and locks is pretty "thiefy" to me. If I don't want my "rogue" to be a "thief", I'll give him skills which aren't used for stealing stuff!

Well, in 4e, you can't. Thievery is automatic for rogues. You're good at it even if you never do it.

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
I agree with the second poster that Rogery would imply a far wider skill base (ie, all Rogue class skills) than theivery does. Thievery only pertains to breaking into things and stealing while not being seen. Rogery implies everything a rogue does, period.

kennew142

First Post
Even if your rogue is not a thief, the skill set in question is still best described as thievery. If your character picks pockets and open locks, most folks are going to assume that you are a thief, even if you're not. We finally have a name that is descriptive and folks are upset about it. Sheesh, I guess they should have called it Golden Wyvern Technique. :p

In all fairness, I have to come clean. When I play a rogue in D&D, he is always a thief.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
When pirates hoist the Jolly Thiever, then I'll consider a skill called "Roguery" (which is a real word, but not the appropriate one IMHO).

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads