• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Replacing Short rest with Recovery Action

dave2008

Legend
We just use the old 4e short rest of 5 minutes and it works for us (the DMG as a 10 min variant rule, but we prefer 5 min.). Only needing an action seems to short to me, but I could see reducing it down to minute.

I like the idea of only allowing them prof. bonus per day though.

dave2008

Legend
Based on the recent books, I think it's pretty clear that the short rest is going away in 2024. Short rest abilities will become proficiency bonus per long rest abilities.

Stuff that recovers on a short rest (ki points, warlock spell slots, action surge, hit points by spending hit dice, etc) will indeed get a "Recovery". Like, a warlock will be able to regain all their spell slots a number of times per day equal to proficiency bonus. Any PC will be able to spend hit dice to recover hit points. However, this Recovery I think will take 1 minute to use, thus effectively preventing it from being used in combat.
We don't know how they are going to do it yet, but we should know soon. I would be careful about making assumptions based on previous changes. Everyone assumed Tasha's racial ability changes would be the standard in the 2024 update. However, the very first playtest document trampled all over that assumption. So, best to wait and see IMO.

They could easily keep short rest and adopt something like @Horwath's suggestion.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
we have a problem that mostly we can get a long rest if we are able to secure a location for an hour, then we can secure it for 7 more.
This statement is so bizarre to me. Like… 8 hours is a lot longer than 1 hour! That’s eight times as many opportunities for something bad to happen. Even if there’s only one such opportunity during the hour (as would be the case in my game, as I roll for random encounters at least once per hour in dungeons and other such adventure locations), that’s a tremendous increase in risk.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Based on the recent books, I think it's pretty clear that the short rest is going away in 2024.
Considering the playtest rules for a long rest specify that you gain the benefits of a short rest if your long rest lasted for at least an hour before getting interrupted, I think it’s inarguable that short rests will still exist in 2024 (and they will still take an hour). Whether or not there will be any character features with limited uses that recover on a short rest is another question.

teitan

Legend
Short rests help eliminate the 5 minute work day. One of the problems of 3.x era was that people would nova encounters and on a time scale it would be 5 minutes in the dungeon and then rest to recover spells and other abilities that could only be used 1x per day. Short rests fixed a lot of that and the slow death of it has brought a lot of that nova back as we have seen design move away from the "standard" number of encounters per day to essentially 1 encounter at a dramatically appropriate time following a bit of the Critical Role standard story narrative structure vs the dungeon crawl structure.

I like the "proficiency bonus times per day "fix" that seemed to crop up in recent abilities published as a fix to the loss of short rests.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Nah.

Default short rest should just be 5-10 minutes. But it will remain 1 hour.
The problem with 1 hour short rests is that 90% of the time you have 1 hour of safety and free time, you also have 8 hours of it.

The designers made 1 hour short rest because they wanted to simulate long actives like cooking lunch, taking naps, and cleaning items ALONG with quick actions like bandaging and sipping water.

But no one roleplays those things. Especially since Feats like Chef and now Musician didn't come out 8 many years later.

If you don't make it a mechanical benefit, fans won't continuously roleplay.

Prediction:

The occupation feats (Chef, Healer, Musician, Poisoner) will recharge on short rest. New occupation feats will be created
  • Bowyer - craft trick arrows
  • Blacksmith - Buff AC
  • Chemist - make grenades
  • Magewright- create temp scrolls
  • Ruecarver- recharge runes
  • Shoemaker- Rollerblades. JET SET RADIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Last edited:

We can still call it a Short Rest.
Loads games, especially newer ones, have similar things, for a limited number of times per day (Talisman RPG is a good example, you get a lot back for taking a break......and even say 1980 dragonquest had a short recover mechanic), so its a things games have and should stay in D&D Onwards

If its only Prof per day, which seems logical and simple, it will never be overpowering and you just create classes to match the mechanic.

Remove ads