D&D (2024) Replacing Short rest with Recovery Action

I'd make it closer to 4e Healing Surge/Second Wind:

Breather: 1 Action, a maximum of 1/2/3 (fullcaster/half-caster/martial) + Con mod per long rest.
You recover all features based on a short rest and you can spend up to your PB Healing Dice to recover hit points, adding your Con mod after each roll.
In a way it be like a Greater Second Wind.
As a fighter you could bonus action Second Wind, use your action to Greater Second Wind (Breather) and recover your Second Wind again.

So if you disallowed an action, like if you were paralyzed you couldn't do a Breather, supposedly a deep sigh in the fiction. Also how do levels of Exhaustion affect your Breather or don't they?

Last edited:

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Considering the playtest rules for a long rest specify that you gain the benefits of a short rest if your long rest lasted for at least an hour before getting interrupted, I think it’s inarguable that short rests will still exist in 2024 (and they will still take an hour). Whether or not there will be any character features with limited uses that recover on a short rest is another question.
Yes, with the info that we now have it's clear that short rests are staying. I hadn't seen the playtest rules when I posted on June 3.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
In a way it be like a Greater Second Wind.
As a fighter you could bonus action Second Wind, use your action to Greater Second Wind (Breather) and recover your Second Wind again.

So if you disallowed an action, like if you were paralyzed you couldn't do a Breather, supposedly a deep sigh in the fiction. Also how do levels of Exhaustion affect your Breather or don't they?
I've tweaked the Exhaustion probably a thousand times, but I've settled for a new Condition instead.

Weakened:
  • When you would deal damage or recover hit points, roll the dice a second time, keeping the lowest ones.
  • When you roll a Constitution, Dexterity or Strength saving throw, you have a penalty of 1d4.

Dazed:
  • You can't see anything more than 10 feet from you.
  • You can't maintain Concentration.
  • When you roll a Wisdom, Charisma or Intelligence saving throw, you have a penalty of 1d4.

Vael

Legend
Honestly, I think we just need to find a better middle ground for short rest timing. 5 min in 4e was too short, 1 hour is too long. I'd suggest 20-30 minutes.

I like 10 minutes for a short rest, not least because it ties back to the oldest versions of the game when you tracked time during "site exploration" (as it were) in 10-minute turns. That way, you take an entire "dungeon turn" to rest (or attempt to rest, in the event you have a random encounter).

Horwath

Legend
To limit usage in combat:

At the start of your turn you can take Recovery action.
You are considered Paralyzed until the end of your next turn.
You gain benefits at the end of your next turn.
You can take a number of Recovery actions per day equal to your proficiency modifier.

you are losing two turns in combat if your really NEED that action to recharge and enemies have full turn for attacks with advantage and auto crit if they hit you.

Remove ads