Replacing the human "+1 all" bonus...

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
I absolutely recognize the silliness of house rules before any portion of the game is ofdicially released. But I want to start a game next week, with the release of Basic and the Starter, and the "+1 all" to Abilities for Humans is a pet peeve of mine.

So, here's a thread for ideas and possible intermediate house rules, at least until the PHB and DMG.

Assuming that other races normally get a +2/+1, and assuming a "+2 Ability" is equivalent to a "+1 subset of rolls"....

How about:
Humans: +2 Ability your choice, and choose ONE:
Hardy: +1 hp per level and +1 AC
Skilled: proficiency in four more skills
Weaponmaster: proficiency and +1 attack and +1 damage with a single weapon
Spellmaster: +1 attack or save DC to a school of magic
Resilient: +2 death saving throws, remain conscious below 0 hp.
Lucky: advantage on any roll, once per day.

Comments? Any more you might add?

Paraxis

Explorer
With non-humans now at +2/+1 most of my issues with the generic +1 to all stats for humans are no longer there.

But I do like the idea of this.
  • +1 to three different ability scores
  • 1 free skill or tool proficiency or expertise in one skill already known
  • common and one other language
  • 1 extra saving throw proficiency

I dunno. Every other race gets +2/+1 in pre-set stats, and you've boosted the human up to +2 in whichever one stat it wants? That sounds like a significant boost in power, relative to +1 in a bunch of stuff you don't care about.

And then you double down on that focus by essentially giving the same bonus all over again. A fighter with a longsword is going to take +2 Strength, for the +1 to hit and damage, and then a flat +1 to hit and damage on top of that! An evoker is going to take +2 Int, for the +1 spell attack and save DC, and then a flat +1 to spell attack and save DC on top of that!

It would make humans literally the best at anything they want to do!

Last edited:

Ashkelon

First Post
What about this in place of +1 to all ability scores.

Increase your proficiency bonus by +1
Bonus Feat
Bonus proficiency of choice (skill, weapon, armor, or tool)

Humans aren't as strong as half orcs, as dexterous as elves, or as stout as dwarves, but they are exceptionally adaptable and quick learners.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Possible bonuses to Humans, to replace the blanket +1 to all ability scores:

• "Nerdistry": +1 to ability checks related to developing "a cunning plan, My Lord."
• "Foolhardy": +1 bonus to death saving throws.
• "Helpful": +1 bonus to checks to aid another.
• "Know-it-all": +1 bonus to INT checks to recall any kind of lore.

Increase your proficiency bonus by +1
Bonus Feat
Bonus proficiency of choice (skill, weapon, armor, or tool)
That still makes them way better at everything than anyone else. A +1 proficiency bonus is roughly equal to +2 to your main stat, which is also supposed to be the value of a feat. This layout would give each other race a +2 to one pre-selected stat, and give humans the equivalent of +4 to whichever stat they felt like - except it also allows them to break the effective cap of 20, since proficiency isn't technically the same number.

Remove ads