Retro Gaming (PC/Consoles)

Zardnaar

Legend
So as the title says. Not sure what counts as retro? For the purposes of this thread anything around a decade old or PS3/Xbox360 or earlier.

With steam and GoG retro gaming can be very cheap along with games that are not rarities.

Why? Well sometimes you have a favorite game and want to replay it. Genres also come and go or maybe you missed a game first time around.

Anyway some things I've played in the last year.

Phantasy Star IV (1990).
Played on the Gameboy advance and PSP. Originally on Negative/Genesis.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (1999)
One of the best Civilization type games. It's fairly unique with no sequel or follow up. Heard mixed thing's about Beyond Earth.

Civilization III Complete (2002 base game)
An old favorite I picked up on steam for $2.50. Turns 20 years old this year. The last 'classic" civ has aged alright. See if I win a cultural victory as Spain.

Last edited:

The games I find myself coming back to:

Missile Command (1980)
For such a simple game, it runs deep. The gameplay could get repetitive, but the action never lets up enough for that to happen. And with such limited technology, it eloquently spoke to the nuclear fears of the time and the futility of war.

Golden Axe (1989)
Pure sword and sorcery beat-em-up action.

Streets of Rage (1991)
That soundtrack. I rest my case.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
I played Zelda games before and after this, but this is just my one perfect game, unchallenged years later.

I suppose I could mention Skyrim and Dark Souls 1, but to me they don't feel retro. And I'd glad add Drakan: The Ancient Gates if there was a way to replay it short of hooking up my PS2 (which, honestly, I've been thinking about, to play this and the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance series again).

Mad_Jack

Legend
Even now, I still occasionally dig out one of the other older D&D titles, like Temple of Elemental Evil, Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights. (At the risk of sounding like a hipster, NWN was my jam.)

I picked up Dungeons & Dragons : Daggerdale (2011) a few months back - definitely a spiritual successor to the Gauntlet/Diablo dungeon-crawl genre, with a few D&D rules tacked on...
(Hell, the magic items even have names like "+1 Icy Longsword of Fire".)
One of the most fun things about it is that there's an occasional glitch where if you hit a bad guy with enough massive damage in one shot, and he dies, the game fails to play the death animation and the guy never falls over - just stands there frozen.
A couple weeks back my character killed an orc - my shots all do knockback and fire damage, so the shot knocked him off the ledge and set him on fire - but instead of falling he went flying out into mid-air and just floated there about twenty feet above the ground, like some fiery Orcish sun god, lol.
It was hysterical, and I wish I'd thought to get a screen-cap of it.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Was up at the cabin a few weeks ago. My bros and I had a tourney on Super Paperboy. We followed that up with Baseball simulator 2000. Good times!

Remove ads