Return to Northmoor IC

Sparky

Working hard is one of Orthanach's virtues. Working harder as well. He follows the others into the water and sinks calf-deep into the soft and sucking mud of the river bottom.

Pale hands reach out through dark water, they are lit from above by shifting rays of light that filter through the bone-biting chill. His feet are trapped in the mud... he can't escape...

A shadow crosses the young man's face and vanishes. He wedges himself under the weight of the boat and pushes... holding the weight on his shoulders so that others could rest or reposition.

[sblock=OOC:]Sweet, another Endurance success... honest, hard work is the path to righteousness. 1d20+3 = 20[/sblock]

Hard work seems to distract everyone from the chill, the fight earlier this morning, and any unknowns that the future might hold. No matter who you are, honest work definitely makes time pass quickly. The steady pace of the effort also adds it's own distraction. It is obvious that the raft is slowly becoming unmired, and this seems to add to the ease that everyone is feeling.

The soothing sounds of the river continue through the day. As the effort continues, three wood ducks come near to see what the comotion is about. Their interested calls are refreshing, and remind you of the natural beauty around you. If it wasn't for the attack of the morning and the mired raft, the day could possibly be called idyllic.

Atanatotatos

First Post
Culwhych has descended from the mound and is trying to find a way to help despite his not incredible physical prowess. He too takes a pole and looks for an ideal place from where to apply leverage. He seems to find that from some small boulders in the water he could reach an easy spot to push under the water with his staff, so he starts jumping over the water on stones and thick tree roots extending in the river, coming near to the intended place, but not exactly where desired.

ooc:acrobatics 17

Redclaw

First Post
Breccan does his best to follow Cian's example. Setting his feet, the warlord attempts to throw his own might into a similar push. However, it becomes apparent that he chose a less stable piece of river bottom from which to stage his assault, and he just feels his feet sink further into the mud instead of sensing any movement from the raft.

Athletics check: 9

Lukeworm

First Post
Cian

“If I have to push this raft by myself then that is just what I’ll do.” Cian grumbles as he pushes the pole in to the river bunk once more. “One step at a time.”
The raft nudges again and Cian leans back on the pole taking a moment to wipe the sweat off his forehead.
“This is hard work and we’ve been at it for some time, my feet are wet but my throat feel quiet dry. We need to call on the spirits for help, not any spirit but the kind that dwell in a keg. How about a round of ale for the boys Master Meager? it will help raise their sprits for sure and may just make the raft a little lighter.”

OOC: Athletics check 1d20+8=19.

"A man that interested in my ale might not be too useful once he got it!" Maeger's crooked smile is both hard and sincere at the same time. "I assure you that your help is not going unnoticed, and I plan to camp near to the Cat this evening, but for now we will push onward. We are getting close, as I can feel the raft shift with your efforts." Maeger tosses a waterskin to Cian. "Drink this. You have worked hard, and we still have the better part of the day to go before we camp. I would hate for you to get thirsty on me!" His raucous laughter echoes across the water. "You will have your ale tonight, and I am sure that Cad and Rone will give us some fiddle to go with it. Put your impatience into the bargepole. That will get you ale faster than that pathetic attempt at sweet talking me. Trust me boy, your cleavage is not near to large enough for my tastes!" Another round of laughter from Maeger is joined by the men of his crew. Their spirits seem to have already changed for the better. Even MacLynn lets his mirth errupt at the comments.

Sparky

Orthanach secretly hopes that Cian's prodding will earn them some ale. He'd never have asked for it himself, but a mug after a long day was just the thing.

And it had been a long day. He breaks with the others, mopping sweat from his brow with a sleeve, smearing mud across his face as he does so. He is oblivious to the smear. He perks up at the mention of fiddle and peers suspiciously back at the boat, wondering if indeed they'd get it free before darkness fell. He wasn't optimistic.

His muscles, sorely taxed, trembled as he stood up. He was frustrated at how watery and weak they felt and willed them to steady, which they did under firm pressure. A little. But the young man's strength was spent. The best he could offer as they bent to the task of freeing the boat was a steadying pressure against the keel, but no force approaching anything that would move the boat. Worthless, put some steel in your back, Orthanach!

Frustrated, the young man strains against the keel and feels a sharp pain in the back of his leg. Charlie horse! He collapses into the water and splashes miserably to the riverbank where he angrily kneads his leg muscle until it relaxes.

[sblock=ooc]Endurance check for Orthanach, an awe inspiring 4! [/sblock]

The raucous laughter continues, this time at Orthanach's expense. There is definitely a feeling of good cheer about the group now. One of the red headed brothers, -the one you have learned is called Rone-, splashes over to Orthanach and offers him a waterskin and a piece of salted meat. "Here," he says quietly. "Don't mind them. It has just been a hard day. We are almost out, so everyone is just feeling a little silly. Take a break if you need to." He splashes back to the raft and some of the others coarsely chide him. "You going soft too?" The laughter continues as the men get back to work. The day is still somewhat young, but standing around won't get the raft out.

pathfinderq1

First Post
Aiffe moved back away from the edge of the raft, watching as her more physically capable crewmates went to work. As they began to make some serious progress, the mood on the raft seemed to be shifting for the better- she could feel it. But she still wanted to contribute to the task- for a brief moment she toyed with the idea of harnessing her magics, but the idea passed quickly enough. The arcane arts were not popular among most normal folk, and she did not know these people- she did not want to upset or anger them. In time, though, she did have one idea...

As the crew put their backs into the heavy work, Aiffe raised her voice in song- not the emotional ballads she had shared aboard the Cat, but rather a timeless sailors work song, the type of chanty used to get a work crew together on all kinds of ships for years beyond count... The song she chose was a familiar one, well-suited to the hard work at hand.

OOC: Since 4e has no Perform skill, we'll go with Diplomacy- it seems closest, especially in this case. Her intent is to put a well-known "sea" (or river) chanty to its intended use- getting the working crew together in time for best efforts. Diplomacy +7= 24; roll Roll Lookup ; finally a success- she goes 1 for 3.

As Aiffe sings, the other red headed deck hand, -this one Cad-, jumps up on a large crate. He begins dancing in the traditionally popular style in the Northmoor. The dance is pretty intricate and fast paced, and Cad keeps up extremely well with Aiffe's song. The dance involves a lot of kicking and stamping, the sound of the dancer's feet providing percussion for the singer. The rest of the men stop their work to watch the spectacle.

As the song continues, Cad begins to drive the pace. His quickstepping rythm slowly increases it's tempo, until the pace of the song is quite brisk. Several of the other men begin to clap to his rythm. It crosses your mind that Aiffe might have a hard time keeping up with the bouncing rythm of the melody when pushed to this tempo, but her singing is flawless, and makes a simple work song seem a masterpiece.

At the last note of the song, Cad leaps from the crate and flips head over heals to land in the muddy water. Raucous cheers and laughter greet the performers. Cad is splashed by several of his appreciative fans.

"All right you lazy dogs, back to work! This raft won't free itself." Maegers gruff admonishment stops the splashing and horseplay, but doesn't stop the laughter. As Aiffe turns to look to the work, Maeger interrupts her. "Not you Lass. I have seen you try to work a bargepole. You've done better things for my boat with your voice than you could ever do with that pole!" A great gafaw from MacLynn says that he is in total agreement with Maeger.

"Sir Turman of Rinton..." The first few words of the The Baker and the Knight signal that MacLynn thinks that music is just the thing to keep his crew's spirits high in the chill of the river. His deep voice echoes across the water, relating the familiar tale of how a simple baker managed to convince a famous knight to trade his horse, a farm, his arms, and the freedom of all the indentured servants in his barony in exchange for not telling people how he ended up naked at the bottom of a well with a pig and a basket of sweets. It is always a very popular song with commoners.

[SBLOCK=OOC]I think that we may have lost a player. I am not sure how we should handle it. We have not heard from Nac Mac for a while. I am writing him a note to check in, and I will be happy just letting him fade into the background for a bit, but when combat happens, I would like to know how you guys would like to handle it. Let me know what you think.[/SBLOCK]

Remove ads