• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Return to the Barrier Peaks, Fiend Folio, and Unearthed Arcana?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
kenjib said:
I've said a couple of times in other threads that I would really like to see a Return to the Barrier Peaks module done in Dragonstar. This time you are the aliens coming down to see what ever happened to the lost ship, after it has now been ransacked by the ignorant and backward natives.

Have you ever read "the cyborg and the sorcerers" by Lawrence Watt-Evans?

Theuderic

First Post
the Jester said:

Also, what do you folks think the odds are of seeing UA3E? If we do see it, I suspect it's going to be more like a cross between the Tome of Magic and Book of Artifacts- more guidelines for item creation, tons of spells, domains, and magic items, prolly some more artifacts

UA3E to me would be a total sales pitch. There is no way there can be another Unearthed Arcana. If they make a book called Unearthed Arcana I wont buy it. It would be a total marketing ploy. WOTC would only be showing that they would go to any lengths to sell a book. The whole idea to me makes me sick to my stomach. What can they reproduce from the original UA for 3E? It wont be UA at all except only in name. UA was a special book. I'm sorry but they had better be more creative than call such a book UA. That would not be a tribute to Gygax. It would be a strategy to sell the book. Manual of the Planes I understood. Oriental Adventures makes sense. Feind Folio ok. These books: as reference works, changed to 3E rules. UA was a collection of options and extras, if you will. If such a book is to come out, let WOTC give it a name that 3E can call its own. Enough of the "let's take names from the 1E books routine".

herald

First Post
UA3E to me would be a total sales pitch. There is no way there can be another Unearthed Arcana. If they make a book called Unearthed Arcana I wont buy it. It would be a total marketing ploy. WOTC would only be showing that they would go to any lengths to sell a book. The whole idea to me makes me sick to my stomach. What can they reproduce from the original UA for 3E? It wont be UA at all except only in name. UA was a special book. I'm sorry but they had better be more creative than call such a book UA. That would not be a tribute to Gygax. It would be a strategy to sell the book. Manual of the Planes I understood. Oriental Adventures makes sense. Feind Folio ok. These books: as reference works, changed to 3E rules. UA was a collection of options and extras, if you will. If such a book is to come out, let WOTC give it a name that 3E can call its own. Enough of the "let's take names from the 1E books routine".

Who cares if they included any material from the original book. And as far as "total maketing ploy", I doubt that anything that would be put out by WOTC would be just stuff with a revised name on it.

What Unearthed Arcana could be is a book of just crunch. here are my ideas.

Player side:

Chapter 1: Prestige Classes: This could be a compilation of Prestige classes from Dragon Magazine (with erata corrections) , and a few new ones. Plus Class combos. Multiclassing to get specialty character types.

Chapter 2: New Spells: 'nuff said

Chapter 3: More equipment: Spot light on Alchemical goods. And a spot light on Items that would commonly be considered "treasure"

Chapter 4: A players guide to getting a helping hand. More information on Hirelings, Cohorts, Familiars, Mounts, services, ect.

DM Side:

Chapter 5: Magic Items: A collection of Magic items that appeared in modules, WOTC's web site and Dragon Magazine and more new ones.

Chapter 6: Unearthed Monsters: Spotlight on constructs, outsiders, and aberations.

Chapter 7: Water and vehical combat rules, expanded.

Chapter 8: Psionic bonus chapter. The compilation of material done as a web features refleshed out and new material added to freshen it up abit.

D'karr

Adventurer
Unearthed Arcana

A book like this would definitely sell. Specially if it followed in the vein of the original by adding a lot of new and varied options. However, it would be good if they playtested it a lot more than the original. I could see this book as a DMG companion book. Should it be called Unearthed Arcana? That is inconsequential if the book is good.

This would be a book that would be great if they compiled tons of new options. But more importantly this book could be a goldmine if it was a how-to book. A sample of things that would be interesting to see:

DM OPTIONS
How to create a class / prestige class.
Sample Class
Sample PRC
How to create and balance a monster / creature.
Sample Creature

CAMPAIGN OPTIONs
How to develop and document a campaign - Think of the Dungeoncraft Articles by Ray Winninger.
Sample campaign

COMBAT OPTIONS
Definitive explanation of how the combat system works for newbies - What HP and AC really represent in the D&D abstract combat system.
Creating fighting styles.
Using VP/WP instead of HP.
How to integrate Cinematic / Descriptive combat.

MAGIC OPTIONS
How to create an alternate magic system
Sample alternate magic system
How to create interesting artifacts
How to create interesting new spells
New Spells
Magic Items

What do you think?

kenjib

First Post
Yeah, a how-to book would be great.

As a side note, I think it would be better if they came out with some new core classes instead of PRCs. We've got plenty of PRCs and an interesting and well designed handful of new core classes would see more practical use.

If you really want to call it unearthed arcana you need to provide something for continuity, like bringing back the cavalier. This time do it right though. ;)

A few variant class ideas: A cavalier (kind of like a paladin with horse and diplomatic skills instead of divine powers), a noble PC class (aristocrat variant), a diplomat/spy, a scout (an official alt.ranger), a dungeonier/spellunker/trapspringer (alt.rogue without sneak attack), a witch, a shaman, etc.

These have all been done before several times, but not officially for core D&D.

Tetsuyama

First Post
Going a wee bit OT...

Some new core classes, particularly with associated prestige classes, would be a welcome addition. And for DMs, some sample NPCs who have gone down the various prestige class routes would be cool, kind of like the sample NPCs from the DMG, but aimed at the prestige class advancement. (What does a "canonical" shadowdancer look like anyways? How about a couple of different assassins, one based on fighter, one based on rogue? Not that I'm *lazy* as a DM or anything.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads