• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Revenance + Revivify

borclover

First Post
I don't think that whoever came up with the spells, realized that there may be a party that has both of these spells and so didn't write in a clause for either one to give a definite answer to the question being asked. I agree that using both spells is an easy out on the whole death thing. Each spell by themselves rock, but used together it is like cheating death and it's consequences IMHO.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
One of the nice things about true rez is that you can use it days or years after the death of the person, and you don't even need the body. Revivify gives the same effect but greatly restricts the range of the spell. Instead of years you have only a round; not only do you need the body, but you need to be able to touch it.

The combo effectively adds a few minutes to how long a character is "mostly dead" as opposed to "all dead". I don't think that is out of line considering that revenance is a 4th level spell to revivify's 5th.

I think if you allow these spells on their own, you should also allow them as a combo. I think they are a fine way of allowing big, flashy combats without having too high a body count among the PCs.

udalrich

First Post
borc killer said:
Revenance (pg 175 SC): Target is brought back to life as raise dead for a short time with half hit points. “She is alive (not undead) for the duration of the spell and can be healed normally, but dies as soon as the spell ends.”

Revivify (pg 176 SC): Target is brought back to life as raise dead but does not loose any exp, but must be cast within one round of the targets death. MC 1,000gp.

Since Revenance works as Raise Dead, the combo costs 1000 gp and a level. So it's definitely inferior to True Res, since True Res doesn't have the level cost.

Compared to Raise Dead, it costs two spells instead of one (one of which must be cast in combat during a very short time window). There's also a much shorter window for the second spell, although you can usually cast it out of combat. It's also 4000 gp cheaper. To work, the paladin needs to devote one of his top level spell slots, and the cleric needs to devote a 5th level slot (not a big deal at 17th level), so there's a cost of the lost slots (whenever nobody dies) in addition to the gp cost.

It seems reasonable to me, unless you want death to be an expensive experience. It costs less gold, but it costs spell slots (or scrolls) and requires much more prompt action.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
We use Gentle Repose to extend the window. GR has to be cast right away.

A mid-combat Revivify too often turns into just getting killed twice in the same encounter.

borc killer

First Post
udalrich said:
Since Revenance works as Raise Dead, the combo costs 1000 gp and a level. So it's definitely inferior to True Res, since True Res doesn't have the level cost.

Compared to Raise Dead, it costs two spells instead of one (one of which must be cast in combat during a very short time window). There's also a much shorter window for the second spell, although you can usually cast it out of combat. It's also 4000 gp cheaper. To work, the paladin needs to devote one of his top level spell slots, and the cleric needs to devote a 5th level slot (not a big deal at 17th level), so there's a cost of the lost slots (whenever nobody dies) in addition to the gp cost.

It seems reasonable to me, unless you want death to be an expensive experience. It costs less gold, but it costs spell slots (or scrolls) and requires much more prompt action.

Sorry for the miss understanding. Revenance works like raise dead BUT they come back with half hit points and NO exp penalties. Both spells state that. I did not quote them in full. If you use the combo you are only out 1,000gp and 2 spells. No exp, no con, and no 5-25,000gp.

Also I personally don’t find the short time you have to cast the first spell to be a huge issue. 5 to 10 mins is a long time and I can't think of the last time that someone died that a player was not able to cast a spell on the person with in that amount of time. And yea s*#t happens sometimes but rarely from what I have seen.

edit: Ok I did think of the last time, that same player's rogue in tRttToEE hit a trap that destroyed him like a sphere of annihilation. I think that was his 5th character in the temple…

Last edited:

glass

(he, him)
borc killer said:
Also I personally don’t find the short time you have to cast the first spell to be a huge issue. 5 to 10 mins is a long time and I can't think of the last time that someone died that a player was not able to cast a spell on the person with in that amount of time.
Are you saying that Revenance also has a fairly short time limit? In that case, the combo is fine IMO.

glass.

borc killer

First Post
glass said:
Are you saying that Revenance also has a fairly short time limit? In that case, the combo is fine IMO.

glass.

Yes it has a short time limit. Rounds per level to cast it and min per level for the duration as I recall. I am going to let the combo work but I just can't live with 1,000gp, it makes death totally meaningless at mid to high level... not that it had it before but it hurts to have to drop 25k to get a rez.

Artoomis

First Post
This combo is NOT a big deal.

Revenance must be cast within 1 round per level of the death and lasts 1 minute per level.

Revivify must be cast within 1 round of the death and costs 1,000 GP (in diamonds) that must be kept on-hand.

Revenence has the effect of stretching out the time when you can use Revivify for a few rounds and a then a few minutes (so that Revivify can be used after the combat is over).

Note that the cost is not insignificant. The cost is not only 1,000 GP but two 4th level spell slots.

I don't think Gentle Repose would work here as it is based upon days, not rounds.

zeroorez

First Post
if death is so cheep to come back from then just kill then 25 times more often.

also what if a druid came in with last breath its only 500gp

we are having a final rase the dead sale everything must come back at 50% off

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads