• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Revenance + Revivify

glass

(he, him)
borc killer said:
Yes it has a short time limit. Rounds per level to cast it and min per level for the duration as I recall. I am going to let the combo work but I just can't live with 1,000gp, it makes death totally meaningless at mid to high level... not that it had it before but it hurts to have to drop 25k to get a rez.
Ah, right, the OP didn't mention that. I was thinking that Revenance works on any corpse, which would make raise dead completely useless.

glass.

borc killer

First Post
Artoomis said:
This combo is NOT a big deal.

Revenance must be cast within 1 round per level of the death and lasts 1 minute per level.

Revivify must be cast within 1 round of the death and costs 1,000 GP (in diamonds) that must be kept on-hand.

Revenence has the effect of stretching out the time when you can use Revivify for a few rounds and a then a few minutes (so that Revivify can be used after the combat is over).

Note that the cost is not insignificant. The cost is not only 1,000 GP but two 4th level spell slots.

I don't think Gentle Repose would work here as it is based upon days, not rounds.

It is a big deal if you want your players to think about death as something bad. If you want death to have some bite then this combo is really powerful at mid to high level were you have lots of spell slots available. I guess I hold out hope that one day the player playing the rogue will figure out that tumbling out to challenge a couple of fire giants might be a bad idea. It’s a total fallacy, but one can hope.

Also do you really limit your players access to diamonds?

borc killer

First Post
glass said:
Ah, right, the OP didn't mention that. I was thinking that Revenance works on any corpse, which would make raise dead completely useless.

glass.

Yea I made the mistake of only quoting the parts that were pertinent to my initial question... had no idea we would get off on this tangent.

Rystil Arden

First Post
borc killer said:
It is a big deal if you want your players to think about death as something bad. If you want death to have some bite then this combo is really powerful at mid to high level were you have lots of spell slots available. I guess I hold out hope that one day the player playing the rogue will figure out that tumbling out to challenge a couple of fire giants might be a bad idea. It’s a total fallacy, but one can hope.

Also do you really limit your players access to diamonds?
How about this--right now, there is really no reason at all not to Revenance your teammates (or even Revenance multiple times until you run out of level 4 slots!) whenever they die. So to prevent multi-Revenance, etc, why not make the body a material component/focus that is expended at the end of Revenance, so they get to come back for one last hurrah, but when it is over, the body crumbles into dust. Now they have to get a True Resurrection. Also, do keep in mind that the same applies to Revenance or Revivify if the monster itself kills the corpse in a way that makes it unsuitable to Raise normally.

Diirk

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
How about this--right now, there is really no reason at all not to Revenance your teammates (or even Revenance multiple times until you run out of level 4 slots!) whenever they die.

Well, paladin's aren't really known for their abundance of lvl 4 slots.

IanB

First Post
I allow it in my games. I don't really need ways to make dying suck more for my players, it already sucks up an annoying amount of game time when it happens. This is a nice little combo that is only occasionally useful but when it is, it saves a lot of headaches.

glass

(he, him)
borc killer said:
It is a big deal if you want your players to think about death as something bad.
But, as someone pointed out above, all this combo does is extend the 'mostly dead' period from one round to a few minutes. Once that period is up and you are properly dead, it is just as bad as ever it was.

glass.

Artoomis

First Post
seans23 said:
revivify is a 5th level cleric spell.

Quite right - my mistake. So the cost is a 1,000 GP diamond (how many of those will the party be carrying?) plus a 4th and 5th level spell slot that must be kept always reserved for this purpose. That is a significant tactical cost.

At higher levels a 5th level slot may merely be kept open to be filled during the 15(+) minutes of Revenance, lowering this opportunity cost somewhat.

In any case, at higher levels usually death is merely a time-consumng pain in the rear.

This is really not a big deal. If you really, really don't like it just don't allow the spells in your campaign.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads