Revised Demons/Daemons/Devils Part Deux!

Pants

First Post
It's only taken me.... several months to get around to actually doing this, but hopefully the first conversion will make up for it. ;)

The Baernaloth.

At first I didn't think I was going to convert this creature. It's 2nd Edition stats were very lackluster and were, to me, the epitome of flavor text not matching up with the rules. The 2nd Edition Baern weren't very smart, nor were they exceptionally powerful. In fact, they were pretty weak.

But, I thought it might be cool to reimagine the baern and see if I could somehow make the flavor match with the rules. Only an Epic version would do in this case. Hopefully I succeeded, but I had a lot more ideas for abilities that these guys might have.

Originally, they were going to be CR 25, but I felt that their abilities were vicious enough to warrant a +2 to their CR. I still think that CR becomes only a rough guideline of power at this stage in the game, so it may be a bit off.

Hope you enjoy. :)
The Gacholoth will be next. In fact, he only needs some rule clarifications and flavor text. He should be up later tonight.

BAERNALOTH
Large Outsider (Evil, Extraplanar, Yugoloth)
Hit Dice: 24d8+216 (324 hp)
Initiative: +11
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 44 (-1 size, +11 Dex, +14 natural, +10 profane), touch 30, flat-footed 33
Base Attack/Grapple: +24/+30
Attack: Touch +34 melee (5d8+10)
Full Attack: 2 touches +34 melee (5d8+10)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Expunge alignment, horrid touch, mastery of the flesh, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 20/epic and good and silver, darkvision 60 ft., fast healing 10, immunities, immunity to acid and poison, malignant presence, resistance to cold 10 and electricity 10 and fire 10, spell resistance 36, telepathy 100 ft., true seeing
Saves: Fort +33, Ref +35, Will +34
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 32, Con 29, Int 32, Wis 30, Cha 30
Skills: Appraise +38, Bluff +37, Concentration +36, Decipher Script +38, Diplomacy +45, Disguise +37 (+41 to act in character), Gather Information +37, Intimidate +41, Knowledge (arcane) +38, Knowledge (history) +38, Knowledge (religion) +38, Knowledge (the planes) +38, Listen +41, Search +38, Sense Motive +37, Spellcraft +42 (+46 to decipher spells on scrolls), Spot +41, Tumble +38, Use Magic Device +37 (+45 to checks involving scrolls)
Feats: Ability Focus (expunge extremes), Ability Focus (mastery of the flesh), Boost Spell-Like Ability, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Empower Spell-Like Ability (chain lightning), Heighten Spell-Like Ability (confusion), Quicken Spell-Like Ability (confusion), Weapon Finesse
Environment: Bleak Eternity of Gehenna or Gray Waste of Hades
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 25
Treasure: Triple coins; double goods; double items
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: 24-48 HD (Large); 49-72 HD (Huge); or by character class

Like some horror out of myth, this semi-humanoid creature rises up to its full height. Atop a thin neck sits a head seemingly patched together from various animals; a skeletal horse’s head covered with thin, putrescent flesh and topped by a pair of massive, curved horns. Its arms and legs are long and lanky and its frame is unnervingly emaciated. Despite its frail appearance, unholy power rolls off the creature in staggering waves. An alien brilliance beams from within its sunken eyes.

The baernaloth are some of the most enigmatic beings in the multiverse. They wander the planes in solitude, pursuing whatever ghastly goals their fiendishly brilliant minds can concoct, occasionally enacting these schemes, but most often discarding them for something else even more terrible.

According to rumors passed across dimly lit tabletops and through the mouths of the barmy, the stupid, and the wicked, the baern created the fiends. Such rumors are quickly dismissed or even outright laughed at. However, whatever truths may be behind such rumors, the baern are powerful, supposedly as powerful as the Dukes of Hell, the Dark Eight, and some Demonic Lords. Even the yugoloths give them a wide berth, though whether this is due to their raw power or to some unknown status afforded them, none knows.

Some even question whether the baern are yugoloths or something else entirely. Though one thing is universally certain, to cross a baern is one fast way to get oneself in the ‘Deader than Dead Book.’

A baernaloth stands about 8 feet tall and weighs 500 pounds.

COMBAT

The baern are canny, unfathomable creatures. Their plots, counterplots, schemes, and agendas span the ages of the multiverse. The plans of a particular baern may not come to fruition for thousands of years are as early as next week.

The baern are equally capable combatants, though they often prefer to toy with creatures before transforming them into some debased and humiliating form with their deform ability. Others have been encountered with entourages of creatures transformed by their mutate ability and then subsequently controlled via the baern’s dominate monster spell.

Some baern that have been encountered possess powerful spellcasting or psionic abilities, while others may have even further powers over flesh. Very few baern are truly alike and ‘average’ members of their race are almost entirely unheard of. Many possess vastly unique capabilities that replace or even expand upon the ‘average’ abilities.

A baernaloth’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as epic and evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Expunge Alignment (Su): Rumors persist that the baern created the yugoloths, the tanar’ri, and the baatezu. Whether this rumor is true or not, it is undeniable that the baern possess a remarkable control over the ethical and moral outlooks of creatures. As a full-round action (provoking an attack of opportunity), the baern can attempt to expunge the moral or ethical outlook of a creature within 60 ft. The baernaloth must be able to see the creature for this ability to work. The resultant effects depend upon the alignment of the creature. Creatures are allowed a Will save (DC 34) to halve the damage and negate the alignment change and the secondary effect. The save DC is Charisma-based and includes a +2 bonus from the baernaloth’s Ability Focus feat.

Chaotic: A chaotic creature takes 6d6 points of damage as the chaos is violently purged from its body. If the creature fails its save, its ethical alignment becomes neutral and it is stunned for 2d4 rounds. Creatures with the chaotic subtype automatically take 6d8 points of damage (no save) and must make a Will save or be utterly destroyed, their bodies torn apart into the very primal energies of the multiverse.​

Lawful: A lawful creature takes 6d6 points of damage as the forces of law are ripped from its body. If the creature fails its save, its ethical alignment becomes neutral and it is nauseated for 2d4 rounds. Creatures with the lawful subtype automatically take 6d8 points of damage (no save) and must make a Will save or be utterly destroyed, their bodies turned to stone.​

Good: A good creature takes 6d6 points of damage as the forces of good are expunged from its body. If the creature fails its save, its moral alignment moves one step closer to evil (becoming neutral) and it is exhausted for 2d4 rounds. Creatures with the good subtype automatically take 6d8 points of damage (no save) and must make a Will save or be utterly destroyed, their bodies turned to stone.​

Neutral: A creature with a neutral moral alignment (ie lawful neutral) takes 6d6 points of damage as unholy power suddenly overwhelms its mind and body. If the creature fails its save, its moral alignment becomes evil and it is exhausted for 2d4 rounds.​

Creatures can be affected by more than one of the effects. For example, a chaotic good creature would need to save twice, once for being chaotic and once for being good. The only way to reverse the effects are with a wish or a miracle.

Horrid Touch(Su): The mere touch of a baernaloth can inflict grievous wounds. A baernaloth that succeeds on a touch attack against a target deals 5d8 points of damage, plus a number of points equal to its Charisma bonus (normally +10). Creatures touched are allowed a Will save (DC 32) to halve the damage. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Immunities (Ex): In addition to their normal yugoloth immunities, the baern are also immune to polymorph effects (though they can still polymorph themselves), fear effects, ability damage, and ability drain.

Malignant Presence (Su): A baernaloth’s personal presence manifests itself as an unseen protective force. The baernaloth adds its Charisma bonus as a profane bonus to all of its saves and to its Armor Class.

Mastery of the Flesh (Su): The baernaloth possess a remarkable power to shape flesh with a mere touch. The baernaloth can forgo dealing damage with its horrid touch attack and with a successful touch attack, it can inflict the touched creature with one of the three following effects (the baernaloth’s choice). The baernaloth can perform only one touch per round when it uses its Mastery of the Flesh ability. The save DC’s are Charisma based and include a +2 bonus from the baernaloth’s Ability Focus feat.

Corrupt Flesh: As a standard action, the baernaloth can warp and twist the flesh of creatures with its malignant touch. This causes 1d8 points of Constitution and Wisdom drain as viscous, pus-oozing sores break out on the creature’s body. The creature also begins to exude a horrible, nauseating stench. Anyone within 20 ft. of that creature must make a Fort save (DC 34) or be nauseated for 10 rounds. Whether or not the save is successful, a creature cannot be affected more than once in 24 hours by the stench effect from the same creature. A successful Fort save DC 34 halves the Con and Wis drain and negates the stench effect. Outsiders with the evil subtype are immune to this ability. Creatures with immunity to poison are immune to the debilitating effects of the stench. The affected creature stops exuding the stench only when all of the ability drain is healed.

A creature reduced to 0 Con in this manner is reduced to a puddle of black, viscous corruption. Only a limited wish, wish, or miracle can save the creature at this point.​

Deform: As a standard action, the baernaloth’s touch can deform flesh, shaping it into hideous forms. A creature touched takes 1d6 points of Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution damage as its muscles and flesh begin to liquefy. A successful Fort save (DC 34) halves the ability damage.

A creature reduced to 0 Str, Dex, or Con in this manner is killed and its form is changed into whatever suitable shape the wicked baernaloth has in mind. Favorite shapes include simple balls of flesh or a horrible mockery of the creature’s previous form. Some have been known to fashion thrones or statues from the bodies of creatures they have deformed.​

Mutate: As the most destructive and dangerous of the baernoloth’s abilities, the baernaloth must take a full-round action (provoking an attack of opportunity) and succeed on a touch attack against a target. A creature touched must succeed on a Will save (DC 34) or mutate into a hideously warped version of a common creature.

This is similar to a baleful polymorph spell (caster level 24th) with the following changes. The effect is instantaneous. An affected creature can be mutated into any animal, plant, or vermin with 10 Hit Dice or less. If the current environment would prove hazardous to the newly changed creature, it does not get the normal +4 bonus on its save.

A creature that fails its save immediately gains the new form’s Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores, its alignment (now evil, due to the fiendish template), and it gains all of the new form’s abilities (both extraordinary and supernatural). The creature loses any memories of its former life along with any abilities granted by its former class and race. Its base attack bonus, base saves, hit points, and skills are reset to its new form (see the Monster Manual for these statistics). In essence, it truly becomes the new creature.

At this point, only a wish or a miracle can return the creature to normal.​

Spell-Like Abilities: At will – blasphemy (DC 27), chain lightning (DC 26), confusion (DC 24), contagion (DC 24), deeper darkness, desecrate, detect chaos, detect good, detect law, dispel chaos (DC 25), dispel good (DC 25), dispel law (DC 25), dominate monster (DC 29), fly, greater dispel magic, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), persistent image, polymorph (self only), symbol of pain (DC 25), unhallow, utterdark*; 3/day – energy drain, shapechange, symbol of death (DC 28), symbol of insanity (DC 28); 1/day – crown of vermin (DC 30), power word kill. Caster level 24th. The save DC’s are Charisma based.

True Seeing (Su): Baernaloths have a continuous true seeing ability, as the spell (caster level 24th).

Skills: A baernaloth has a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Listen checks.

* See Book of Vile Darkness or Lords of Madness.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Now this is the pwer level I was striving for when I worked up the yugoloth conversion query for Dragon Magazine. Nicely done! :cool:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Ooh... I like it. A lot. And I can see why it'd take you a while. The mutate ability looks mean... and it's finally up to the power level they deserve.

So does this mean that more are forthcoming? After the gacholoth, that is.

Demiurge out.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
to be honest... i've really never liked the baernaloths very much. i was intrugued by the idea that they may have created all the yugoloths, or even the evil planes, or existence as a whole or whatever... but having them lingering around as some sort of shadow of their former glory never appealed to me. but to each their own - the more powerful version is probably more appealing to a greater number of people. :)

Pants

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
So does this mean that more are forthcoming? After the gacholoth, that is.
Yes.
I still need to update the Narzugon to 3.5
I have two Netherfiends left to create.
I have some new fiends that are basically advanced forms of the Nupperibo (Ancient Baatorians basically). Unfortunately, I need to track down the PS material that actually features those critters before I can start. I'm not working in a total vacuum, although I wish I was. :(
I'm still on the fence as to whether I'm going to update the Xerfilstyx, Zovuut, Jarilith, and the Myrmixicus to 3.5, though I figure I will.
The Gharghatula (sp?) from the BoVD may get updated as a non-baatezu devil. I like that creature so I most likely will update it at some point. :)

At some point, I think I may stat out the Altroloths for 3.5, though this is only an excuse to do a 3.5 writeup of Charon. ;)

Other new demons and devils may find their ways into this thread as I create them, though I have a few that I may submit to Dragon. If they get rejected, they're going right here. ;)

That's it for now.

Thanks for the compliments as always.

BOZ: I figure if people don't like my more powerful version, they can always use the CC version. I've always liked have several choices myself. :)

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
You could always act as if you were acting in a vacuum, you know. The info on the Ancient Baatorians was pretty vague, IIRC, with only one stat block in a module somewhere of an intermediate form. Besides, who says all Ancient Baatorians are the same?

Demiurge out.

Pants

First Post
GACHOLOTH
Medium Outsider (Evil, Extraplanar, Yugoloth)
Hit Dice: 9d8+36 (76 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 60 ft (12 squares), climb 60 ft.
Armor Class: 22 (+5 Dex, +7 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+12
Attack: Claw +14 melee (1d6+3 plus 1d6 acid)
Full Attack: 2 claws +14 melee (1d6+3 plus 1d6 acid) and bite +9 melee (1d8+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Acid, fear, spell-like abilities, summon yugoloths
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/good, darkvision 60 ft., expert climber, fortified mind, immunity to acid and poison, resistance to cold 10 and electricity 10 and fire 10, see invisibility, spell resistance 20, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +11, Will +9
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 20, Con 19, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 16
Skills: Bluff +19, Climb +11, Diplomacy +17, Gather Information +15, Hide +17, Intimidate +21, Listen +15, Move Silently +17, Search +14, Spot +15
Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Weapon Finesse
Environment: Bleak Eternity of Gehenna
Organization: Solitary, pair, or squad (1-4)
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: 10-18 HD (Medium); 19-27 HD (Large)

This strange looking creature has a muscular body covered in dark black scales. Four powerful legs jut from its lower torso, each ending in a foot composed of three sharp claws. Its two arms end in a pair of four-fingered claws, each dripping with a smoky substance. Its head seems to be a cross between that of a humanoid’s crossed with a fish’s, with the sides dominated by a pair of large, triangular ears. A thick mane of bristly hair covers the top of its scaled head.

The gacholoths serve as the terrorists and saboteurs of the Blood War. They are usually sent on missions behind enemy lines, to destroy fortifications, fiendish machines of war, or to sow dissent in an enemy’s forces. Rarely are they encountered on the field in massed ranks. Their power and capability comes in their ability to avoid direct confrontation.

Occasionally, squads of gacholoths are sent on clandestine missions with shadoloths, though these instances are very rare. Shadoloths prefer to work alone and consider gacholoths to be lesser versions of themselves (it is rumored that truly exceptional gacholoths can sometimes be promoted to the status of shadoloth) and an overall hindrance. Gacholoths generally are severely jealous of shadoloths and their station in yugoloth society. They also have a certain dislike for fiends with similar talents such as succubi, kerezu, and cambions.

What a gacholoth truly enjoys is a jaunt to the prime. There they wreak as much destruction and havoc as possible, reveling in the mortal blood spilled.

A gacholoth is about 7 feet tall and it weighs about 500 pounds.

COMBAT

Gacholoths are canny opponents. They love to use their ability to climb and their invisibility to set deadly ambushes for opponents. They never use manufactured weapons; instead they prefer to rely on their own natural attacks. However, they sometimes arm themselves with ranged weapons, though this is rare indeed.

A gacholoth’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Acid (Ex): A gacholoth’s claws constantly secrete a deadly acid. This deals an additional 1d6 points of acid damage on each successful claw attack and every round a grapple is maintained.

Expert Climber (Ex): A gacholoth’s four legs allow it to climb as if it were constantly under the effect of a spider climb spell, however it can move at its full speed while climbing and it need not use its claws while climbing. It also retains its Dexterity bonus to its AC while climbing.

Fear (Su): Any creature struck by a gacholoth’s melee attack must make a Will save (DC 17) or be affected as if by a fear spell (caster level 9th). Whether or not the save is successful a creature cannot be affected by the same gacholoth’s fear for 24 hours. Yugoloths are immune to the gacholoth’s fear ability. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Fortified Mind (Ex): Gacholoths are completely immune to charm spells and effects.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will – contagion (DC 17), darkness, desecrate, detect good, feather fall, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), invisibility (self only), magic missile, minor image (DC 15), polymorph (self only); 3/day – charm monster (DC 17), melf’s acid arrow, mirror image. Caster level 9th. The save DC’s are Charisma based.

Summon Yugoloths (Sp): Once per day, a gacholoth can attempt to summon another gacholoth with a 50% chance of success. This is the equivalent of a 4th level spell.

See Invisibility (Su): A gacholoth has a continuous see invisibility as per the spell (caster level 9th).

Skills: Gacholoths have a +4 racial bonus on Bluff and Intimidate checks. They have a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened.

That's the Gacholoth. And with that, it seems that I am finally finished with the Yugoloths. :)

Last edited:

Pants

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
You could always act as if you were acting in a vacuum, you know. The info on the Ancient Baatorians was pretty vague, IIRC, with only one stat block in a module somewhere of an intermediate form. Besides, who says all Ancient Baatorians are the same?

Demiurge out.
I could, but I find that information, no matter how vague, is at least inspirational for me. :)

You don't happen to know which module the Ancient Baatorian was featured in do you?

Oh, as to conversions, I'll most likely convert the Chaos Spiders to 3.5 as well.

EDIT: I've uploaded a new version of the finished Revised Yugoloth .doc file. This has the Baernaloth and the Gacholoth added to it. Unless I notice any serious errors, I don't foresee uploading a new one. I also don't foresee creating any new Yugoloths either, so this should be the 'finished' version.

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Nice gacholoth. They were never brought up in Planescape (strange, I thought), so it's nice to see the flavor catch up to them. And the conversion looks as solid as always.

As for Ancient Baatorians... in Tales of the Infinite Staircase, it's revealed that the kyton lord of Jangling Hiter has a pet nupperibo that has been "evolving" into an Ancient Baatorian. In Hellbound - The Blood War, one of the modules included features a sleeping Ancient Baatorian that is little more than a hazard; it consumes all light off of anything entering its cavern, permanently dispelling magical lights and temporarily turning anything invisible. If deprived of light, it sucks levels out of the adventurers until a few rounds or the light turns back on. Not that impressive, but I like the idea of draining levels and eventually existence from foes. Also, there's the mention in Faces of Evil and Planes of Law that the nupperibos are in fact the larval forms of the Ancients, and some are still imprisoned in the ice of Stygia and deep in caves throughout the more remote Hells.

Demiurge out.

zeo_evil

First Post
I just now saw the baernaloth. Thought I would check here first before doing it myself. Good work. Thanks in spade. Since I have some extra time on my hands I thought I might ask if anyone needed anything. I'm in the low 20's with my game right now so I am working on some stuff to fill the gap. Thoughts? Requests?

Remove ads