Revised Undead

Pants

First Post
I've done fiends, now its time for something equally loathsome... undead! Demiurge has his MMII conversion project, so I've decided to wrk on some of the more 'troublesome' undead from other books, along with whatever new stuff I conjure up.

First order of business... Libris Mortis. You'd think that a book of undead would give undead a much needed kick, but unfortunately, due to poor editing and the fact that the Monster Manual III came out only a month prior (the book that gave undead the much needed Unholy Toughness ability...), they got kinda shafted in their own book. Also add in some questionable abilities and wonky mechanics and you have the beginnings of a revision.

So, with that out of the way, I'll start off with a creature that I kinda liked (the creepy, Jeremy Jarvis illustration certainly helped!), the angel of decay. Now, the angel of decay is one of those weird undead that kinda shouldn't be undead. Hopefully the new flavor text makes them more... interesting and gives them a reason for existing.

Other undead that I plan on working on: Wheeps, Brain in a Jar, Atropal Scions, Visages, and Blood Fiends (from the Fiend Folio). I might do others, but those are the ones I have planned for now.

Hope you like it!

ANGEL OF DECAY
Large Undead (Evil, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 19d12 plus 76 (199 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 50 ft. (poor)
Armor Class: 29 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +14 natural, +4 deflection), touch 15, flat-footed 27
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+26
Attack: Claw +22 melee (2d6+13 19-20/x2 plus rotting touch)
Full Attack: 2 claws +22 melee (2d6+13 19-20/x2 plus rotting touch) and 2 wing slams +19 melee (1d6+6) and bite +19 melee (2d8+6)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Rotting aura, rotting touch, spell-like abilities, unholy presence
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/good and adamantine, darkvision 60 ft., spell resistance 24, undead traits, unholy grace, unholy toughness
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +12, Will +20
Abilities: Str 37, Dex 14, Con –, Int 20, Wis 20, Cha 18
Skills: Bluff +26, Concentration +26, Diplomacy +8, Intimidate +6, Knowledge (arcane) +27, Knowledge (the planes) +27, Listen +27, Sense Motive +27, Spellcraft +29 (+31 when deciphering spells on scrolls), Spot +27, Survival +5 (+7 when on other planes), Use Magic Device +26 (+28 on checks related to scrolls)
Feats: Cleave, Great Fortitude, Improved Critical (claws), Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (claws)
Environment: Gray Waste of Hades
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 15
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually neutral evil
Advancement: 20-25 HD (Large); 26-31 HD (Huge); 32-37 HD (Gargantuan)

A horrible abomination of rotting flesh and seething corruption stands before you. Two pale wings of ichor-covered flesh stretch from the shoulders of a gaunt, fifteen-foot monstrosity. Long, bony arms end in blackened, powerful claws. Its head is nothing more than rotting skull with a pair of horns jutting from its brow. Bits of rotting flesh hang in decaying strips from its bony frame.

The angels of decay are horrific, undead monstrosities that prowl the Gray Waste, endlessly searching for life to despoil. They find little such life to destroy in the already corrupted Waste, so they wander in a constantly maddened state. Even the native fiends shun any angels of decay.

Though their name is a slight misnomer (the angels of decay have very little in common with outsiders native to the Upper Plains), their origins are a bit more interesting. Angels of decay randomly spawn when a creature of pure good is slain on the Waste and its body is left to rot. The evil suffusing the plain warps and twists the body of the dead creature and after several days, an angel of decay arises. Paladins and clerics of good deities most commonly spawn angels, but if an exalted individual’s body is left uninterred on the Waste, an angel always arises from its body. It is not known whether dead celestials can spawn angels of decay, though if they can, they would be truly powerful abominations.

Angels of decay stand about 15 feet tall and weigh about 1,200 pounds.

And angel of decay speaks Common, Abyssal, and Infernal.

COMBAT

An angel of decay prefers to wade into combat while affecting as many creature’s as possible with its rotting aura. It takes a perverse pleasure in watching as the lives of its victims drip and rot away into formless ichor.

Angels of decay enjoy using its power attack feat, taking a -5 penalty on its attack rolls and gaining a +5 bonus on its damage.

An angel of decay’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Rotting Aura (Su): An aura of palpable corruption surrounds the angel of decay at all times. The aura extends outward from the angel of decay in a 20 ft. radius spread. Any plant life within the aura is affected as if by a blight spell (caster level 20th, DC 18 Fort save to resist).

Additionally, if the angel of decay is touching the ground, the soil within the radius of its aura rots and vile corruption begins to permeate the ground. Any living creature that is touching the ground takes 1d6 points of Constitution damage each round it remains within the aura. A DC 23 Fort save negates the damage. Any living creature that takes the Constitution damage must also succeed on a DC 23 Will save or be nauseated until it leaves the aura and for 1d4 rounds afterward. The save DC’s are Charisma-based.

In each round that a creature is damaged by an angel of decay’s rotting aura, the angel of decay heals 5 points of damage per victim.

No plant life will ever grow on the corrupted ground again, unless a plant growth spell is cast, while the area is under the effects of either a hallow or consecrate spell.

Rotting Touch (Su): An angel of decay rots the flesh of its victims with each successful melee attack. Anyone struck by an angel of decay’s claws takes 1d4 points of Constitution damage. A DC 23 Fort save negates the Constitution damage. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will – stinking cloud (DC 17); 3/day – creeping doom, wither limb* (DC 18); 1/day – horrid wilting (DC 22). Caster level 19th. The save DC’s are Charisma-based.

Unholy Grace (Su): An angel of decay adds its Charisma modifier as a bonus on all its saving throws and as a deflection bonus to its Armor Class. (The statistics block already reflects these bonuses.)

Unholy Presence (Su): An angel of decay is tainted by pure evil. Its natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. Additionally, an angel of decay is treated as a summoned creature for the purpose of determining how it is affected by a protection from evil spell.

Unholy Toughness (Su): An angel of decay gains bonus hit points equal to its Hit Dice x its Charisma modifier.

* See Libris Mortis: The Book of Undead (pg. 72).

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Ooh! More goodness! I like the new angel of decay, although I did rather like the original (like you said, the artwork is incredible).

This actually reminded me... did you ever finish the revised celestial project you were working on last year, with the re-categorized devas? And will they ever resurface on your website?

Demiurge out.

Pants

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
This actually reminded me... did you ever finish the revised celestial project you were working on last year, with the re-categorized devas? And will they ever resurface on your website?

Demiurge out.
First question: No, I never really did. Though the devas are done and the light aasimon and agathinon (both never updated to 3.x) were finished too. I'm sure I'll continue with the project at some point.
Second question: Yes, the ones I have done will all be put on my website in due time. Probably under 'other creatures' (which is where the undead will go...). :)

Pants

First Post
Here's a couple I've been mulling over for a while.

The Unliving Brain I actually playtested! It worked as quite a deadly foil to a group of 6 level 4 PC's. No one died, but the brain dominated one of the characters, who quickly dropped the Bard to negatives in one hit and then it started mind thrusting the hell out of everything, all while staying concealed amongst a group of dormant brains and gnoll zombies. It was fun, but I think it works best if you only use it once or twice during a campaign or so.

Anyways...

UNLIVING BRAIN
Tiny Undead (Psionic)
Hit Dice: 3d12 (19 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: Fly 30 ft. (good) (6 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (+2 size, +2 Dex, +3 deflection), touch 17, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: –/–
Attack: –
Full Attack: –
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./–
Special Attacks: Mind thrust, psi–like abilities, rebuke undead
Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft., madness, telepathy 100 ft., turn resistance +4, undead traits, unholy grace
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +9
Abilities: Str –, Dex 14, Con –, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 16
Skills: Bluff +9, Concentration +9, Diplomacy +13, Knowledge (Psionics) +9, Psicraft +11, Sense Motive +7, Spellcraft +9
Feats: Great Fortitude, Iron Will
Environment: Any
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually neutral evil
Advancement: 4–9 HD (Tiny)

Flying towards you is a humanoid brain, glowing with a strange energy.

Creations of the insane and the truly depraved, unliving brains (more commonly called a ‘brain in a jar’ due to their usual locations…) are undead creatures given life by intermixing negative energy and psionic power. Truly brilliant creatures, unliving brains seek to gain power by dominating the living and the dead.

Sometimes, unliving brains arise spontaneously from the bodies of powerful humanoid psions whose minds were psionically focused at the time of death. Other times, mad scientists or necromancers create them for use as servants, spies, or advisors.

Unliving brains remember nothing of their former lives, but all display an aptitude for psionic advancement.

An unliving brain resembles a normal humanoid brain, though somewhat withered.

COMBAT

If an unliving brain discovers hostile creatures, it first attempts to dominate the most physically powerful looking member of the party. After the ensuing chaos, the brain attempts to remain hidden and it targets the remaining members with its mind thrust and psionic suggestion powers.

Madness (Su): Anyone targeting an unliving brain with a thought detection, mind control, telepathic, or psionic ability makes direct contact with its tortured mind and takes 1d4 points of Wisdom damage. A successful Will save DC 14 negates the Wisdom damage.
As a standard action, the unliving brain can attempt to force any one creature that it is communicating with telepathically to take the Wisdom damage. A successful Will save negates the damage.

Mind Thrust (Sp): As a standard action, the unliving brain can target a creature with 30 ft. with a mind thrust power (manifester level 2nd). The creature targeted takes 2d10 points of damage. A successful Will save (DC 14) negates the damage. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Psi-Like Abilities: At will – detect hostile intent, detect psionics; 3/day – psionic suggestion (up to 3 targets within 15 feet of each other, DC 15)*, telekinetic force (one object weighing up to 300 lbs, DC 16)*; 1/day – psionic dominate (DC 17). Manifester level 7th. The save DC’s are Charisma-based.

* Includes augmentation for the unliving brain's manifester level.

Rebuke Undead (Su): An unliving brain can rebuke or command undead as a cleric of the same level as the unliving brain’s Hit Dice (normally 3). It gains a +3 bonus on its turn check and it deals 2d6+6 points of turning damage on a successful check.

Unholy Grace (Su): An unliving brain adds its Charisma modifier as a bonus on all its saving throws and as a deflection bonus to its AC.

CREATING AN UNLIVING BRAIN
An unliving brain can be created with a create undead spell by a caster of at least 14th-level. The caster must have 6 ranks in either Psicraft or Knowledge (psionics). The caster must also possess a psicrystal which is used as a focus item. The body used in the spell must be of a human, elf, dwarf, githzerai, githyanki, maenad, or xeph. The brain of the creature must be removed before the spell is cast, and the black onyx material component must be placed atop the brain.

This next one hails from the ancient days of 2e and Ravenloft.
GIANT SKELETON
Large Undead
Hit Dice: 6d12 (39 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +6 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+13
Attack: Claw +8 melee (1d8+6) or scythe +8 melee (2d6+9 x4)
Full Attack: 2 claws +8 melee (1d8+6) or scythe +8 melee (2d6+9 x4)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Fireball
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/bludgeoning, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to fire, resistance to cold 10, turn resistance +2, undead traits
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +5
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 13, Con –, Int –, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills: –
Feats: Improved Initiative (B)
Environment: Any
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: 7-12 HD (Large)

A large skeletal creature shambles towards you, a large scythe gripped in its bony fingers. Within its cavernous ribcage, a strange, magical fire burns.

The ignorant seem to think that giant skeletons are the bodies of fire giants stripped of their flesh and animated with fell energies. This is not true. Giant skeletons are created by magically enlarging the bones of a dead human and imbuing the corpse with a fiery essence.
Giant skeletons can follow simple orders, but are otherwise utterly mindless creatures.

A giant skeleton stands 12 feet tall and weighs only 400 pounds.

COMBAT

Giant skeletons are simple opponents. Unless otherwise directed to, they simply attack with their claws or whatever weapons they’ve been armed with (usually scythes, though bone spears are common). They don’t seem to know that they possess a powerful fireball ability and usually forget to use it, unless their creator tells them to use it.

Fireball (Sp): Three times per day, a giant skeleton can reach into its chest and taking hold of some of the magical fire contained therein, it can launch a fireball as the spell (caster level 8th). A successful Reflex save (DC 12) halves the damage. The save DC is Charisma-based and includes a +4 racial bonus.

CREATING A GIANT SKELETON
A giant skeleton can be created with a create undead spell cast by a caster of at least 11th-level. The corpse must be placed on a pyre created by a magical fire effect of some kind. The corpse used must be a human’s.

Also, I've got a Revised Death Knight Template up on my site. I'm too lazy to repost it here, so I'll just link it. I also have the angel of decay, death knight, and unliving brain up on my site as .doc and .pdf files.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I really like the new death knight, and I got a nice nostalgic feeling from the giant skeleton. But what did you change on the unliving brain? I don't have LM on hand, but it looks about the same (although I don't remember it having unholy grace).

Demiurge out.

Pants

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
I really like the new death knight, and I got a nice nostalgic feeling from the giant skeleton. But what did you change on the unliving brain? I don't have LM on hand, but it looks about the same (although I don't remember it having unholy grace).

Demiurge out.
Things changed:
- Unholy Grace added
- AC calculated correctly
- Psionic powers replaced its psuedo-psionic spell-like abilities
- it got the psionic template

So not much, I just turned it into a real psionic critter.

TurlinBlackwind

First Post
Nice undead there. I really like the mods to the Angel of Decay. It's rotting touch and aura remind me of the Patriarch in the Magic the Gathering novels and Phage ofcourse.

The swap to pseudo- psionic abilities was nice too. Can't wait to see what other stuff you dig up. Good Luck!!! :D

Remove ads