D&D 5E Reworking Spell Lists (Reducing "Sameyness")

Tony Vargas

Legend
Does the spell-tree of: Inflict Wound -> Blight -> Contagion -> Harm feels more druidic or cleric-y to you?
"Reversed" spells like that scream EHP, to me. So Cleric.

The whole destroy life/cycle of life thing speaks Primal to me, but the reverse-Jesus thing also says ''dark cleric'' to me. Conundrum.
Sure, accelerate (or slow) healing or aging or disease (recover or succumb), for instance. But negative energy & necromancy are strongly associated with Undeath, which is antithetical.

Wizards defy nature more than Cleric or Druid. Though I'm strongly of the 'Druids are not Hippies!' persuasion (even though RL neo-pagan Druids often were exactly that), Druids have always seemed to work more nearly with nature (and, sadly, have no particular power to stop undead, beyond burning them), Clerics to claim divine dominion over nature (but not defy it perversely, unless Eeeeevil), and Wizards to embrace the outright unnatural with enthusiasm (witness all those monsters they seem to make!).

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Joining this a bit late & figured I'd throw in some complications to interesting up the list since it's just moving the same deckchairs around & doesn't seem to be changing flavor too much. those marked with an * don't seem to be on swordmeow's reddit for whatever reason but since I didn't see a pattern it's probably oversight or failed googlefu

I was able to devote some time to finish getting these all linked up for swordmeow/meowmagic's spells cantrip to tenth level for folks to pad out the spell lists with so lists feel different and complete rather than different but lacking

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Here's 7th level, almost there.

Arcane
Delayed Blast Fireball
Etherealness
Finger of Death (Could be Divine)
Forcecage
Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion
Mordenkainen's Sword
Planeshift
Prismatic Spray
Reverse Gravity
Simulacrum
Teleport

Divine
Conjure Celestial
Divine Word
Power Word Pain
Project Image (4e had a power where you projected your image with godly feature)
Resurrection
Symbol (Arcane?)
Temples of the Gods

Primal
Crown of star (I know, astrology means wizard, but this one feels Primal to me)
Firestorm
Mirage Arcana (false terrain, fey thing)
Regenerate
Sequester (Reminds be of the druidic seal in Eberron)
Whirlwind

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Here's 7th level, almost there.

Arcane
Delayed Blast Fireball
Etherealness
Finger of Death (Could be Divine)
Forcecage
Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion
Mordenkainen's Sword
Planeshift
Prismatic Spray
Reverse Gravity
Simulacrum
Teleport

Divine
Conjure Celestial
Divine Word
Power Word Pain
Project Image (4e had a power where you projected your image with godly feature)
Resurrection
Symbol (Arcane?)
Temples of the Gods

Primal
Crown of star (I know, astrology means wizard, but this one feels Primal to me)
Firestorm
Mirage Arcana (false terrain, fey thing)
Regenerate
Sequester (Reminds be of the druidic seal in Eberron)
Whirlwind
I think I would swap Finger of Death and Symbol, but other than that I agree with everything.

Remove ads