D&D 5E Reworking Spell Lists (Reducing "Sameyness")

Tony Vargas

Legend
Simulacrum
Surely, Wizard. It's a construct of ice & illusion, a mockery of life.

Crown of Stars (C/W)
Between the two, Wizard.

Glibness
Power Word Stun
I'd say both Wizard.

Power Word Kill
Weird
Both been Wizard spells, but Weird could go any way.

Foresight
As usual, any could claim divination.

Shapechange
True Polymorph
Druids already change their own shape, and Shapechanging duels are a classic wizard bit (OK, there was on Disney movie scene, but I'd still like to think it's a classic bit).

Storm of Vengeance
Originally Cleric. I'd rather see Clerics get Storm of Vengeance and Druids get Firestorm.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Yeah, I got confused between Firestorm and Incendiary CLoud. Earthquake could go to Divine and Incendiary Cloud to Primal.
Incendiary Cloud was originally MU8, the thing about it was that it started out acting exactly like the smoke version of Pyrotechnics, then burned for several rounds. In retrospect, you can see how Gygax probably originally conceived of it as something for a high-level evil wizard/lich/whatever to surprise his players with.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
For 7th, compared to your list:

I like Symbol in Arcane.
I like Mirage Arcana in Primal.
Crown of Stars should be Arcane.

I can see Symbol being Arcane, but do you think Illusion spells (by and large so far mostly Arcane) should be Primal? Also, not a major point, but Crown of Stars deals radiant damage, normally given to Divine.

Thoughts?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I can see Symbol being Arcane, but do you think Illusion spells (by and large so far mostly Arcane) should be Primal? Also, not a major point, but Crown of Stars deals radiant damage, normally given to Divine.

Thoughts?
Mirage Arcane is a long lasting, wide-ranging illusion of a landscape. It kind of screams "enchanted faerie glade" to me. I personally like leaning into the Fey theme with Primal, so that's where I'd prefer it.

Good point of Crown of Stars being radiant, forgot about that. That would definitely make me think Divine.

OB1

Jedi Master
Awesome thread and fantastic work!

Just a few observations from someone who's been lurking in the thread.

While I know the goal is no overlap, I think Wish needs to be the exception.

I know it's late for this, but with the later spell levels leaning so heavy into Nature=Fey, sleep should go to Druid/Primordial.

Finally, I'd argue that Sorcerer and Bard are the best option for classes that can pick from any of the three pillars. Doing so, I think you could then keep the classes as they are in the PHB, changing nothing but the spell list as presented in this thread (and perhaps giving Warlocks an Eldritch Blast invocation that works as the cantrip does now).

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
My current 8th, for comparison:

Arcane
Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting
Antimagic Field
Clone
Demiplane
Illusory Dragon
Maddening Darkness
Maze
Mighty Fortress

Divine
Antipathy/Sympathy
Dominate Monster
Glibness
Holy Aura
Mind Blank
Power Word Stun
Telepathy

Primal

Animal Shapes
Control Weather
Earthquake
Feeblemind
Incendiary Cloud
Sunburst
Tsunami

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Awesome thread and fantastic work!

Just a few observations from someone who's been lurking in the thread.

While I know the goal is no overlap, I think Wish needs to be the exception.

I know it's late for this, but with the later spell levels leaning so heavy into Nature=Fey, sleep should go to Druid/Primordial.

Finally, I'd argue that Sorcerer and Bard are the best option for classes that can pick from any of the three pillars. Doing so, I think you could then keep the classes as they are in the PHB, changing nothing but the spell list as presented in this thread (and perhaps giving Warlocks an Eldritch Blast invocation that works as the cantrip does now).
Why? In the dmg alone there is ring of three wishes, deck of many things moon card, 1d3 wishes, efreeti bottle 91-100 3 wishes, luck blade 1d4-1 wishes,9th level spell scroll, & no doubt more when you start looking outside the dmg itself. There's also the more interesting quest for a mcguffin that accomplishes the specific thing you need that wish spell for

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
@TwoSix @dnd4vr I keep seeing primal/divine/arcane breakdown but I got to the thread late & trying to catch up resulted in wading through a lot of back & forth fleshing out discussion. is there a summary somewhere of wha themes(?) those groupings encompass?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
@TwoSix @dnd4vr I keep seeing primal/divine/arcane breakdown but I got to the thread late & trying to catch up resulted in wading through a lot of back & forth fleshing out discussion. is there a summary somewhere of wha themes(?) those groupings encompass?
Arcane is mostly wizard/bard magic with a focus on reality bending and AoE

Primal is druid + ranger, with a small hint of fey magic theme and (maybe) shadowfell magic. Also some anti-life spell, for your dark druids in Eberron games :p

Divine is a mix of human-targeting subtle enchantment, buffs and divination. With a space for ''dark'' spell for all your evil cleric needs.

Remove ads