• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rhino Death from Above Attack

elbandit

First Post
Howdy!

Here is one crazy thought that was suggested by one of my players in the D&D campaign. I simply said no, since I did not like the implications of the action, but I am giving it some thought now.

If you are a Druid that can shape shift into a Bird, fly 30' above the enemy and transform in to a Rhino. You then fall onto the target. According to the DMG from the weight of the Rhino you would do 30D6 damage since the creature weights 6,000 lbs. (200 lbs per D6). In addition you would add in an extra 1D6 for falling for 31D6 damage.

Since you "fell" 30 feet you would just take 3D6 damage. I do not see why every Druid would not be doing this type of attack since you can do it at 8th Level.

Now here is my question... Is that even legal by the core rules? What would the to-hit numbers be? How would other DMs handle such an attack?

Kelleris

Explorer
I have always split the damage evenly between the faller and the fallen-upon, on the grounds that trying to squash someone with your bulk is not the same as trying to land gracefully.

Now, the preferred version in my games involves the almost-as-heavy tiger with the pounce and rake abilities. Le ouch.

Patlin

Explorer
We used to have a fairly popular tactic called the "polar bear drop" for a different game system. Different game mechanics, of course, but similar idea...

Last edited:

Styracosaurus

Explorer
Form of .........a pail of water

While it is not "rules" intensive, I consider the modus operandi of an attack form. The rhino is not built to be dropped from a height. So, I'd let the druid take quite a bit of damage when doing a rhino belly flop. Then the druid is using up some healing spells, making the maneuver cost several spell slots in addition to the wild shape uses/day.

I'd allow it IMC, but it wouldn't be first choice by any means.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
elbandit said:
If you are a Druid that can shape shift into a Bird, fly 30' above the enemy and transform in to a Rhino. You then fall onto the target. According to the DMG from the weight of the Rhino you would do 30D6 damage since the creature weights 6,000 lbs. (200 lbs per D6). In addition you would add in an extra 1D6 for falling for 31D6 damage.

And make a ranged attack roll with a -6 for range (range increment of 5 feet).

And the opponent gets a reflex save for half (or maybe even for none). DC 15.

So - if you make the attack roll, and your opponent fails his reflex save, you do 31d6. Miss the attack roll, do nothing. Opponent makes save? Do 15d6. Either way, take 3d6 and spend 2 wildshapes.

Seems fine.

dvvega

Explorer
It has been done IMC (with elephants and whales). Back then I just said "squish its dead" and gave the creature a percentage loss of hit points instead of rolled damage. I agree with the attack roll required. Falling puts you at the mercy of physics and thus you must roll to attack.

The penalties mentioned above are good guidlines, and I would in fact treat the rhino attack as a grenade like missile instead of a straight attack ... oops landed on the fighter instead of the hobgoblin ... damn.

As to the damage, the target certainly takes the damage from the falling object of 30d6 as per DMG, however the rhino is not a creature able to tumble, jump, or otherwise avoid the falling damage of 3d6. In addition since the rhino is not being graceful about things, they should incur more damage since they cannot try to "roll with the landing". I'm not sure how much damage I would assign to the rhino, but at least half (15d6) would be appropriate, but the target should still take the lot.

One thing to note, I originally toyed with an idea that instead of 1d6 per 10 feet, you would take percentages of hit points. So a wizard and a fighter would suffer the same percentage of hit points rather than a fixed number.

shilsen

Adventurer
dvvega said:
The penalties mentioned above are good guidlines, and I would in fact treat the rhino attack as a grenade like missile instead of a straight attack ... oops landed on the fighter instead of the hobgoblin ... damn.

So what's the splash damage from a falling rhino :D?

Remove ads