D&D 4E Rich Baker: Teleport Rituals, Gates, & Teleport at will in 4E!

Traycor

Explorer
Source

Rich Baker said:
Not all monsters that used to teleport at will do so in 4e. But there's no reason that archdevils or demon princes couldn't use teleportation rituals themselves to "beam up" minions to places they need to go. Those rituals may be expensive and tedious, so it might not be routine for demons to bamf into the middle of the town square--but it could happen if the DM needs it to. Anyway, I expect that most demons and devils rely on gates and portals now, too, which seems good to me. It means that dungeons containing gates to hell are important.

Last edited:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Traycor said:
Source
Originally Posted by Rich Baker
Anyway, I expect that most demons and devils rely on gates and portals now, too, which seems good to me. It means that dungeons containing gates to hell are important.

It's been a while since I've agreed with Rich 100% but he's spot on there.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
"Teleportation rituals" is telling.

Guess: "line of sight" teleporting in an encounter (basically just a flashier replacement for 3.5 tumble) will be pretty common. Using teleport to travel 50 miles to the heart of the dungeon, less so.

FickleGM

Explorer
Yeah, teleportation as a tool to navigate the battlefield will probably remain fairly easy. Teleportation as a tool to shortcut an adventure will probably become more difficult.

The Ubbergeek

First Post
When they say 'rituals', I guess it's quite more simply more complex spells, who need a more elaborated casting and not at will, and not just huge, plot-possible rituals... Am I right?

Doug McCrae

Legend
I never liked the ease with which demons, and many other D&D monsters, could plane hop. Likewise not keen on the fiendish summoning chain. To me planar travel is a big deal, not something you should do with the snap of your fingers. Or at mid-level as in 3e.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The Ubbergeek said:
When they say 'rituals', I guess it's quite more simply more complex spells, who need a more elaborated casting and not at will, and not just huge, plot-possible rituals... Am I right?

I imagine rituals may involve things like drawing a magic circle, burning expensive incense, reciting an incantation for ten minutes, sacrificing something, and that sort of thing.

Traycor

Explorer
The Ubbergeek said:
Considering he says that Devils/Demons will be relying more on gates... that sounds more like a plot thing as opposed to just an hour long cast with an expensive component.

Remove ads