D&D 5E Rising from the Last War preview featuring Keith Baker

ChaosOS

Legend
For those not in the know, Keith Baker is involved with a ~monthly Eberron podcast entitled Manifest Zone

Their latest episode goes behind the scenes. It's primarily lore focused, but at 17:18 Keith Baker gives insight into the development of Warforged, 38:00 they talk about how Dragonmarks shifted from WGtE, followed by a discussion of Aberrant marks. 56:58 onwards they talk about magic items then the bestiary.

ChaosOS

Legend
Yeah the dwarves getting symbionts is a super cool addition to Rising. Both brings symbionts into the mainstream while spicing up what was quite frankly the most boring core race.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Yeah the dwarves getting symbionts is a super cool addition to Rising. Both brings symbionts into the mainstream while spicing up what was quite frankly the most boring core race.

Or at least, the race in Eberron most conforming to traditional D&D stereotypes.

My second group of players will be headquartered mostly in Karrnath. Introducing them to “biotech” dwarves will definitely be a memorable experience.

ChaosOS

Legend
Will we see the return of the half-daelkyr as PC race?

Daelkyr Half-Bloods are very unlikely to make it to published 5e, but I'd expect stabs at them on dmsguild (I know at least one creator who's done a lot of 5e conversion material, Anthony Turco, who's currently working on it). I also know Keith Baker is planning to do more Eberron content via dmsguild, so even if they're not in Exploring Eberron they could show up in later projects.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Indeed, it also does a great job of lapping the standard tolkein inspired dwarf tropes off the planet in way that can be relayed quickly without the likelihood of significant confusion

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I like the explanation of the change to the warforged and integrated armor, and why it changed.

Now I'm interested to see their new implementation of the "Greater Mark" access to spells rather than with a Greater Dragonmark feat.

Last edited:

Kurotowa

Legend
Now I'm interested to see their new implementation of the "Greater Mark" access to spells rather than with a Greater Dragonmark feat.

I think it's just a simple "Add these spells to the spell list of any spellcasting class you have, normal rules otherwise apply." Which can work in 5e because NPCs aren't built with PC rules anymore. That means you can stat a NPC to just have access the Greater Mark spells, the same as how Magewrights don't use PC spellcasting class rules anymore.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I think it's just a simple "Add these spells to the spell list of any spellcasting class you have, normal rules otherwise apply." Which can work in 5e because NPCs aren't built with PC rules anymore. That means you can stat a NPC to just have access the Greater Mark spells, the same as how Magewrights don't use PC spellcasting class rules anymore.

Yeah, I guess I'm just interested to see how many spells are on those lists. If it's limited to the 2-3 that the Marks had access to in previous editions and the Wayfarer's or if they've expanded that list beyond those couple of options to other themed spells.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases