D&D General Rockseer elves, why they weren't carried forward?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Running Night Below (regarded as one of the best 2e campaigns), and one of the races are Rockseer elves. Which made me wonder, why did they only appear here, and were never carried forward as an elf race going forward in other editions. Certainly, in some editions, post-2e sure seemed like to include every elf race under the sun (and stars as the case may be). And these folks seem like fairly unique and interesting from an elf standpoint. Not just drow copies.

1658771794570.png

1658771823770.png

Running Night Below (regarded as one of the best 2e campaigns), and one of the races are Rockseer elves. Which made me wonder, why did they only appear here, and were never carried forward as an elf race going forward in other editions. Certainly, in some editions, post-2e sure seemed like to include every elf race under the sun (and stars as the case may be). And these folks seem like fairly unique and interesting from an elf standpoint. Not just drow copies.
If I were to guess what they would be in 5e, they'd just be Drow Elves. Drow who aren't Lolthites, but still Drow. I see very little reason for why they should be a separate subrace, especially when most have forgotten they existed.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
I like them, but really they are in a crowded design space. They are so different from other elves, they might as well not be elves. They are super tall, don't worship Corellon, and are connected with the earth and stone. Why not replace them with super xenophobic/isolationist Earth Genasi or Svirfneblin?
If you want more elemental elves, Rockseer elves make an excellent Earth version to use as a template. The cooperative Wall of Stone and Meld into Stone/ Stone Walk powers are very evocative.

I like them, but really they are in a crowded design space. They are so different from other elves, they might as well not be elves. They are super tall, don't worship Corellon, and are connected with the earth and stone. Why not replace them with super xenophobic/isolationist Earth Genasi or Svirfneblin?
If you want more elemental elves, Rockseer elves make an excellent Earth version to use as a template. The cooperative Wall of Stone and Meld into Stone/ Stone Walk powers are very evocative.
Not if he homebrews up a version that is closer to other elves in terms of abilities. ;)

Remove ads