Rogue with BAB 6/1 get 2 Sneak Attacks with Full Attack Action?

A rogue will have a really hard time sneak attacking multiple times against a creature that keeps moving. At most you'll gain one attack.

Even with tumble, etc, a rogue has to flank the enemy to keep using sneak attack. After sticking their opponent (once, they had to tumble to get there), they get smacked by the counterblow (be it a fighter's magic sword, a wizard's empowered magic missile, etc).

And the sheer number of methods of avoiding sneak attack is just incredible. As an example, Obscuring Mist, a first level spell, will do so.

Even if the rogue is doing more damage than the fighter, it's only for a couple of rounds... that' s how long it takes for the enemy to either kill him or force him to withdraw and save his fragile hit points.

reapersaurus

First Post
Shard O'Glase said:
Well I have no problem with sneak attack. My problem is when you balance classes for combat, and then don't bother to balance them for out of combat, which means the fighter(and others like him) sucks.
Now that's a good analysis, Shard.

It constantly amazes me how people can on one hand require that the rogue be so useful in combat that he can occassionally outshine even the fighter in combat, yet think it's completely OK for the fighter to be almost useless out of combat.

What's with that double-standard?
(Throw in the bias that thinks a mage should be effective in every situation, with spells that can accomplish what every other class can do, and you can see my problem with both rogues and mages.)

Shard O'Glase

First Post
despite the fact that I would play a mage almost every time if given the chance, I'll agree with you. Yes, mages are limited by number of times per day etc, but I never really noticed it past 7th level or so. Sure until really high levels I couldn't be agreat multitasker in a day, but each day if we had some plan of aciton I could prepare the right spells for the job, as a sorcerer I just take one attack every couple levels, one defense every couple levels, and load up on utility stuff.

Mages provide almost as much out of combat utility as any other class in their specialty except healing, and div. In combat they provide enough firepower to equal the fighter in the fights that count, while they happily sit back and shoot crossbow bolts futiley in the sucker encounters.

Fighters overall may be the best fightersbut every other class comes so dang close its iffy to even give them that,(esp non fighter types like the rogue, cleric, mage) . Then every class provides any where form a little more to a ton more out of combat ability to the party than the fihgter does, I think the paladin pulls a close second in being a reject out of combat.

Last edited:

Falcon

First Post
Great Stuff

I gotta hand it to you all. I posted a simple question, got my answer, and grew concerned about where the discsussion was heading, and I have to say there is some really great thinking and information presented in this thread. I learned a lot more than I expected.

Just wanted to give a shout out to y'all.

Remove ads