• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Roll For Combat: Hasbro Downgraded. Toys Rotting on the Shelves

There's a lot to criticize HASBRO for, but I'd take anything they say with a huge grain of salt. Those guys have went all in on the "overreaction hyperbole" train. Just look at the titles and screen caps of their videos.
Yep, I saw click bait title and exaggerated title card and said no way am I going to fall for this click bait. No value in watching this and even worse if you support the baiter with a click.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Yep, I saw click bait title and exaggerated title card and said no way am I going to fall for this click bait. No value in watching this and even worse if you support the baiter with a click.
Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

Also, allow me to recommend a Chrome browser extension called BlockTube. It lets you block entire channels on your YouTube feed, not just individual videos.

Of course it's click bait, even really good youtube channels like The Rising and Breaking Points have to use click bait titles because of how the youtube algorithm works. Don't hate the player, hate the game (the game being the algorithm). At least it's honest, no lies in it, I've seen worse.

Stop blaming youtube channels for using clickbait titles and thumbnails when it's do that or get zero growth and the algorithm forgets your channel even exists.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Don't hate the player, hate the game

Stop blaming youtube channels for using clickbait titles and thumbnails when it's do that or get zero growth and the algorithm forgets your channel even exists.
Hey, be fair: I hate both the player and the game. I'm okay with certain channels getting zero growth and the algorithm forgetting they exist.

But you do have a point. YouTube incentivizes this kind of outrage-farming with their dodgy algorithm. It's a different problem, but still a problem.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I remember a year ago when Stephen was talking about the OGL issue. I did a link to what he was saying and a lot of people said "who is this guy? He can't be right, WotC would never do that." And a year later here we are. I don't always agree with Stephen (and hey, he spells his name with that "ph", ;) ) but he is connected and knows his stuff. Maybe he won't be right about what he says here at all, but I did some basic checking and, yes, the stock did get a downgrade. And I have a friend who lives near and Ollie's who checked it out for me, and they did in fact have a ton of Hasbro stuff, which is not something you want to see. Will his projections pan out? Don't know. But to say "oh this is just click bate," isn't helpful either. I am personally more optimistic about the next year for WotC (even though I'm not really sold on the next edition) because I find nostalgia to be a powerful drug.

And he has discussed the "click-baity" titles a few times with Derek from Knights of Last Call enough that it's become an inside joke.

Last edited:

Of course it's click bait, even really good youtube channels like The Rising and Breaking Points have to use click bait titles because of how the youtube algorithm works. Don't hate the player, hate the game (the game being the algorithm). At least it's honest, no lies in it, I've seen worse.
No, there are plenty of good YouTube channels that don't do the Click Bait crap.
You are right, I blame the people who click on the click bait titles.
But you do have a point. YouTube incentivizes this kind of outrage-farming with their dodgy algorithm. It's a different problem, but still a problem.
You Tube, and everyone else, simple use algorithms that draw people in. People are the problem. The algorithms will be written or modified based upon human behavior. So change your behavior and the platforms will change and the creators will change.

Put the blame where it lies, our own behavior.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I was reading EnWorld at the same time as I started listening to the latest Roll for Combat video, called "New Secrets Revealed: The Original Leakers Recap The WoTC OGL Scandal." So yes, it's a click-bait title. They are going over the history of what happened including getting texts about OGL 1.1 literally a year ago today. I find it interesting. So I'm going to try and embed it into my post in the thought that some of you will think the same.

I don't watch a lot of click-bait stuff, but when I find something useful and the authors know what they are talking about, I make an exception.

Edited to add: well now I know how to embed videos. Cool beans.

Last edited:

Remove ads