D&D 5E Round out our group!

Xefenthal

First Post
Ok, a bunch of us are giving D&D a go after a 15 year gap! None of us have played since 3e and some 2e so it's all new to us.

We have

Elf Ranger (Archer)
Half-Elf Rogue
Gnome Wizard

Need one more.

So, we have all darkvision and light or no armor.

Would a natural fourth be Barbarian? Is there a lightly armored dex fighter (might be too close to rogue). Druid? Bard? Could we get by without a heavy melee at all?

Obviously, we're not min-maxing with that setup but I'm really flexible and want to fill in one of our gaps if I can.

We have access to all of the 5e books (PH, Volos, Sword Coast, Xanathar, Mordenkainen's)

Environment is going to be dungeons and maybe the underdark eventually.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
You lack healing and a frontline melee combatant, so a Devotion Paladin or a War Cleric is probably going to round out your party the best, or maybe a Moon Druid. That said, rounding out the party isn't really that important in 5e, so whatever your remaining player wants to play will work fine. If they want to play a Barbarian, or a Dex-based Fighter, or whatever, you'll do fine. If you don't have anybody with healing spells, you'll want to consider packing some extra healer's kits, potions of healing, etc.

Xefenthal

First Post
I'll see if I can maybe find a lightly armored cleric or paladin. I know it's not conventional but if I'm the only one moving slow and clanging around while everyone else has stealth or wearing bathrobes it might be a problem.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You might consider designing a buffer PC of some kind: you don’t need to heal if you’re not getting hit. And such a concept might fit your “mobile, agile, and hostile” party theme.

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
Moon druid looks like the ideal fit for that party. They cover melee with wild shape, summoned woodland animals, and polymorph, since your current group has a rough time if they're forced to fight at short range. They have goodberry and healing spirit for some of the best out of combat healing, and can do a bit of emergency healing. And when you're trying the stealth shenanigans that this party seems built for, they have Pass Without Trace to give everyone +10 on their rolls.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Battlemaster dex-fighter using maneuvers for parry is quite tanky.

Clerics can wear medium armor which has versions that don’t impact stealth.

A dex based paladin is a great character as long as you don’t mind It not being able to multiclass.

Monks that use lots of ki to bonus action dodge are also quite tanky and use dex.

Variant human - healer feat solves the healing issue for any class that doesn’t get healing magic.

All in all I would say cleric and paladin are your best choices. However nearly any character can work.

The only suggestion I would make is to either also play a ranged character or play a very tanky melee character.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
Moon Druid, IMHO, is the perfect fit for the party. It can cover both the healing and front line spots this particular party is light on.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Moon druid looks like the ideal fit for that party. They cover melee with wild shape, summoned woodland animals, and polymorph, since your current group has a rough time if they're forced to fight at short range. They have goodberry and healing spirit for some of the best out of combat healing, and can do a bit of emergency healing. And when you're trying the stealth shenanigans that this party seems built for, they have Pass Without Trace to give everyone +10 on their rolls.

The only thing I dislike about moon Druid is you won’t have in ckmbat healing without making a significant sacrifice to your wild shapes.

CTurbo

Explorer
To best fit your theme, I say go for a Barbarian or Monk.

But yeah if you're looking to BEST fill the gap then a Light armor Cleric, Paladin, or Bard would be best. Bard or Paladin would fill the healer role as well as the face role.

Remove ads