RPG For Power Rangers Coming

D&D's owner, Hasbro, owns a lot of properties -- and Power Rangers is one of them. They also have partnership with Renegade Game Studios, which has made board games for them in past. Next up? An official Power Rangers tabletop RPG, powered by the D&D 5E rules!

There's also mention of G.I. Joe, Transformers, and My Little Pony, but it's not clear yet if those are tabletop RPGs or boardgames. Renegade Game Studios already produces RPGs, including the popular Kids on Bikes.

power_rangers.png

PRESS RELEASE

Renegade Game Studios is thrilled to announce multiple new categories and properties, for hobby gaming, as an extension of their existing partnership with Hasbro, Inc.. With this expanded partnership the G.I. Joe, Transformers, and My Little Pony brands join Renegade’s already successful Power Rangers line to their family of games. You can look forward to new roleplaying and deckbuilding games which will begin hitting shelves in 2021.

Renegade Game Studios and Hasbro first partnered for Power Rangers: Heroes of the Grid Miniatures Board Game in 2018 and have released 11 expansions for the game since its debut. First up will be a 5th Edition compatible Power Rangers Role Playing Game and the upcoming Power Rangers Deck-Building Game which will be available to demo virtually at Renegade Con (October 9-11) and Renegade’s Morphin Meet Virtual Event beginning on October 23rd, and on shelves in Q2 2021.

Fans will also be able to enjoy entirely new websites that Renegade will be launching this fall to support the communities for its line-up of Hasbro games. Organized play, achievements, and in-store and at home events will be added to current programs, such as the current Power Rangers free monthly scenarios and Morphin Monday’s Twitch programs.

More details for G.I. Joe, Transformers, and My Little Pony games will be announced in the coming months. You can be the first to know the latest news about your favorite franchise by signing up here.

“Hasbro has brought so much joy to fans through these worlds filled with rich narratives and iconic characters. We are excited to expand our relationship with Hasbro to help bring these stories to hobby tabletops in a new way, “explains Scott Gaeta, President and Publisher at Renegade Game Studios.

“We’re thrilled to expand our relationship with Renegade Game Studios to include more fan favorite brands from our portfolio,” said Casey Collins, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Global Consumer Products at Hasbro. “The tabletop and roleplaying games Renegade Game Studios innovated for the Power Rangers franchise have proved to authentically connect with both gamers and the Ranger Nation and we are confident that G.I. Joe, Transformers and My Little Pony fans will love the exciting games coming soon.”

Further details will be announced for individual games beginning with the Power Rangers Deck-Building Game, coming available for pre-order in Q4 2020.

Undrave

Legend
"You have got to get that for me." <- The young gamer in our house who has the entire power rangers run on DVD and trick-or-treated the last few years as one.

With weapons more akin to flame bolt or lightning bolt than guns, and the ability to recover quickly from being hit by them, 5e d20 might be the time to do Power Rangers.

We might get a better hand-to-hand combatant than the Monk out of the rangers too ;P

I know.

I'm saying are they sure they want to farm it out.

I couldn't answer for every individual property, but as an overall business model: yes. Hasbro announced a few years ago that their focus is not really about being a toy and game company, but a brand management company. At the upper level, they are more concerned about the whole of Power Rangers and D&D and less concerned about micromanaging the content (or manufacturing the little plastic bits, or the printing, etc).

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'm rather curious about that My Little Pony mention, as Hasbro has already licensed out the rights to make a tabletop RPG for that property to River Horse, resulting in Tails of Equestria.

Of course, Renegade might not be making a tabletop RPG at all. But now I'm wondering if Hasbro has pulled the license from River Horse in anticipation of the new MLP series premiering next year (with a theatrical film).

Undrave

Legend
This is interesting news. I'd love to know the corporate thinking to take this outside of the Hasbro family.

Probably cheaper for them, especially since it's not a sure thing like a proper D&D product. Furthermore, the company is already making the PR board game and will probably reuse art assets for an even cheaper cost.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Probably cheaper for them

Better than cheaper - the way licensing works Hasbro is getting paid to let Renegade use the Power Rangers. It's not just cheaper, it's money in their pocket directly for a product they don't have to create or market.

dvvega

Explorer
For someone who has one child obsessed with the Power Rangers, I know I definitely will NOT be buying an RPG based on that material. I prefer him to run around fighting imaginary enemies and coming up with dialog rather than to have him sit down around a table and do the same without exercise.

D

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
For someone who has one child obsessed with the Power Rangers, I know I definitely will NOT be buying an RPG based on that material. I prefer him to run around fighting imaginary enemies and coming up with dialog rather than to have him sit down around a table and do the same without exercise.

D

I figure they can do both :) Nerf and ninja wars outside during the day, D&D when its dark or wet out.

Undrave

Legend
Now... there's a few things I'm curious what they'll do... First thing is the Megazord problem: how do you make that iconic part of the show interesting in table top form? It's a bit like the spaceship combat problem in Sci-fi games: how do you keep everybody engaged when, in fiction, everybody is supposedly helping to control the damn thing?

Second is the traditional Sentai/Power Ranger plot formula:

1- Introduce b-plot with the heroes
2- Monster of the week appear
3- First encounter between heroes and villains
4- Monster of the week has a unique power that trounces our heroes
5- A contrived situation forces the bad guy to escape
6- Heroes regroup and deal with b-plot
7- Either as a result of B-plot, or on their own, heroes figure out the 'rules' and limit of the Monster's unique power
8- Monster of the week reappears
9- Heroes pull off a clever plan to counter the Unique Power of the monster
10- Monster is defeated
11- Giant Robot fight, resulting in monster's destruction
12- B-plot is resolved.

That's the barebone basic beats of a regular run-the-mill epiode

Another variation has the monster first show up weak, run away, get a power boost before getting to point number 4. Usually as part of a two-parter.

5e isn't really built for the heroes to get their butt kicked... right?

Hmm...

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases